Having trouble finding the deer.

Again nothing..... Haven't seen any deer. But what I have seen, is a ****-ton of tracks. I'm not talking a few prints here and there, I mean there everywhere!!! I know there out there, but what the hell, I haven't seen any.
Am I too early or to late? Are they just moving in the middle of the night?
Any advice would be great.

i have been having the same problem i seen a ton of deer preseason but nothing the past couple days. The biggest suck i had was yesterday when i got to my spot there were 3 hunters using my blind that i had set up and tromped all around an active scrape area where i have sent drippers and have deer cane placed that the blind overlooks. I was quite pissed I spoke to one of them and before I lost my cool I went off to an other scrape area that has some promise but I think these morons spoked all the deer for miles.

I am having the opposite problem but still frustrating. I have seen tons of deer, about 15 but no shot yet. it is possible that they are moving through there at night mostly. From what i have read they are saying that from nov 14 the end of the first week in december is going to be the most active move time. Other than that keep at it I have gone 4 seasons now with no deer, so it takes some time when you are out there learning on your own.

When you can't hear the sound of popping acorns in the woods, chances are they have bedded down. Thats not easy to overcome if you are alone, but its likely they will be in thickets of low to the ground hemlocks. The thicker the better. Dark. In a swamp or on along the edge of one, even better. In general, look higher up in elevation for bedded deer, traveling to lower elevations when they get up and move/eat. But understand there are no firm rules to this. If they bed in a swamp, like in tall dried grass/weeds along the edge of one, and nothing pushes them out, they might stay there all day long.

Do you use binoculars? I found one on Friday that was maybe 50yds out, I couldn't make it out with the naked eye but through glasses it was clear as day. too bad Does were not allowed in my area

Again nothing..... Haven't seen any deer. But what I have seen, is a ****-ton of tracks. I'm not talking a few prints here and there, I mean there everywhere!!! I know there out there, but what the hell, I haven't seen any.
Am I too early or to late? Are they just moving in the middle of the night?
Any advice would be great.
Welcome to deer hunting. When you figure this out, let me know.

I flushed one out of its bed the other day while pheasant hunting. It blasted out about 8 feet in front of me, and her head looked a lot like a hen pheasant in that split second. I'd have had a hard time explaining THAT! No birds, though.

Yesterday there was a doe and one of her fawns ~30' from my house in the tree line. Of course they all know that there is no hunting in my town, so they are safe here.
Back when I was hunting, it wasn't unusual for me to come home from my stand, walking in the door in my camo, having seen no deer all day, to have my wife tell me there were 5 deer in the backyard. Sigh.

Well, jumped another a few hours ago not 10 feet into the woods. I have jumped at least 20 deer this year. It is like they are ALWAYS there, but I can't get set up before they arrive. I have the opposite problem of most people. I know where the deer are. Just too crunchy getting in. ARHHHHHHGGGG.

Best advice I have is just keep at it. You see them.

I got in the woods today at 4:00pm and had a buck come in on me at 4:30. Point is that I wasn't going to go figuring I was way to late, but I sat my stand anyway and ended up getting some action.

Back
Top Bottom