Having trouble acquiring my front sight.

I was at the range the other day and I am having a little trouble acquiring my front sight once I get the gun out of my holster and try to get it up on the target.

What can I do to help acquire my front sight more quickly and get it on target?

Dryfire until you can,
But make sure you are presenting the gun correctly, The last bit should push the gun out. you should find your front sight as it is coming out to the target not up

Also work your draw backwards, find he sight on the target and bring the gun back to you then holster

Speed will come through the economy of motion, not by trying to go faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBD-wo9I4g

Last edited:
1. PRACTICE!

2. If you don't have one already, get a fiber optic front sight.

I agree. Practice is very very important. However if this is a carry gun I personally would not use a fiber optic front sight, while they are a tremendous help in aquiring the front sight, the majority of the ones Ive seen/used have been somewhat brittle. YMMV

The key thing, as pointed out in the TJ vid above, is to get the sights in to your eye line as soon as possible and drive the gun out to the target. The advice to work the draw backwards is also very good.

you did not say what hand gun you are using. I have a russian Makarov. The original sights are very small (and i am aging!) I put a small dab of white out on the back of the sight. If it doesn't work for you, you can scratch it off.

of course if you are using something like a glock or HK with the much larger sights. I am with the other guys on a draw practice drill.

If you don't want to spend the money on a fiber optic or a night sight, (which is obviously a better option that what I am about to suggest) you can just paint a little bit of white/red/yellow/orange or whatever color is most visible to you on the front sight.
I painted a little touch of my wife's white nail polish on the front sights of one of my guns and it made the sight much easier to acquire the sight off the draw.
Depending on the value of the gun this may not be a good choice but if it's just a run of the mill range practice gun it might help for .000001% the cost of a new set of sights.

I have been painting front sights on all my guns for over 35 years.I have tried all colors and have settled on flourescent green nail polish.For some reason green works best for me in all situations.When applying,put 2-4 light coats on.The nail polish dries real fast.Good luck.One bottle of nail polish will last for years.

I agree. Practice is very very important. However if this is a carry gun I personally would not use a fiber optic front sight, while they are a tremendous help in aquiring the front sight, the majority of the ones Ive seen/used have been somewhat brittle. YMMV

Both points are correct. They are better but they do break. I change might fiber optic sights every 2 years. Your need may be different depending on how much you shoot.

Practice! Make sure you know the proper method to draw and practice it correctly the same way every time. Your draw and sight acquisition will become instinctive.

If you can't afford a fiber optic, or just want to experiment before committing, get Bright Sights paint. The kit comes with a number of colors; you can mix the colors, and you can remove it easily if you don't like it.

HINT: Put WHITE paint on first; it brightens the translucent overcolor. If you build it up, it's almost like having an FO sight.

I have this difficulty too, but it might be aging eyes for me (40 something, no glasses yet). Anyway on the recommendations for painting the front sight does this apply to 3 dot sights? I have a Sig w/ 3 dot night sights and find focusing quickly on the front sight very challenging. I do need to practice more though.

Practice, but make sure you're practicing correctly. Has anyone every taught you a proper draw?

Another option is the Big dot sights by XS. Lots of people who have a hard time seeing the front sight and/or have aging eyes prefer them. Yes, they do work and yes they can be very accurate--just takes practice

Back
Top Bottom