Having Pre-Ban High Caps shipped to Mass.

Hi everyone,

I did a search for this and couldn’t find a good answer. I'm looking at getting a couple of pre-ban mags and was wondering if there is an issue with them being sent here from another state.

I know there is a misconception that the mags must be in-state prior to the ban; my understanding is that they needed to only be in EXISTINCE prior to ban not necessarily in state.

Any help would be appreciated.

You are correct. As long as you can find a distributor (do NOT post that person's name in a public forum) that will send them. There are no legal issues with you receiving them, as long as you are legally able to possess them.

Adam

taz-2005 said:
Hi everyone,

I did a search for this and couldn’t find a good answer. I'm looking at getting a couple of pre-ban mags and was wondering if there is an issue with them being sent here from another state.

I know there is a misconception that the mags must be in-state prior to the ban; my understanding is that they needed to only be in EXISTINCE prior to ban not necessarily in state.

Any help would be appreciated.

So long as you are getting large capacity mags shipped in that were manufactured before the effective date of 1994 federal assault weapons ban, you are within the limits of MA state law.

For cautious sellers, I have sent them a copy of my MA Class A ALP LTC, but this should not usually be necessary in order to complete your purchase.

Now, I'm not totally sure, so don't take this to heart. But I believe that you are correct. I believe that as long as magazines were created prior to the ban, you can have them in MA.

I have ordered several pre-ban magazines and had them shipped here to MA without issue.

I would like to hear what Len or some of the others who know more about this have to say. But I believe that you are correct.

And if I'm wrong, then I'm sure that Scrivner is going to flame me. As well as not spelling his name correctly...which I think that I did.

And, just so you know, please don't list the person/place that will send you the magazines.

Yup, as stated. Mags must be MFD before 9/13/94 but could have resided anywhere in the world. Hi-cap Pistol mags require LTC-A and most dealers/distributors will NOT ship any hi-cap mags to anyone in MA (not even FFLs). Some will require LTC copy.

My best success has been buying Glock hi-caps for very reasonable prices from folks on various other forums directly, no dealers involved. Not only that but those that I did buy are INDEED pre-ban, no question about it. Seems that gun owners know what is what . . . it's the dealers/distributors that are highly questionable!

ETA: Some dealers/distributors won't even ship lo-cap mags to MA!! Probably afraid of AG and they are not used to asking for LTCs to ship mags/ammo as most states don't restrict these goods.

I recently had a MA dealer try to sell me a hicap mag of unknown manufacturing date and told me it was not a problem. It was a good price too from what I've seen (~$50 for a 15rnd Sig226, I've seen ~$80 for ones cetrified as pre-ban in AG Guns).

No wonder it was a good price... he was looking for a sucker to take it off his hands...[shocked]

Too bad, I'd heard good things about that shop too...

Matt

Watch what you buy. I know a couple of guys in Mass that missed the LEO markings on suppossedly "Pre-Ban" AR mags they bought. Fortunately, they took care of it, and quick.

matt said:
I recently had a MA dealer try to sell me a hicap mag of unknown manufacturing date and told me it was not a problem. It was a good price too from what I've seen (~$50 for a 15rnd Sig226, I've seen ~$80 for ones cetrified as pre-ban in AG Guns).

No wonder it was a good price... he was looking for a sucker to take it off his hands...[shocked]

Too bad, I'd heard good things about that shop too...

Matt

The thing is though... is how do we quantify what "Certified pre ban"
is/means?

In the case of say, a Sig P226, I know that there were mags that
simply say "SigSauer" on the side and others that say "SigSauer P226"
on the side. Of course there are also MecGars floating
around.... some of which are SigSauer marked and some which
are not, like the flush fit 17 round mags. (MecGar is now the OEM of
all Sig mags, I think).

The only real certain indicator is LEO markings... and of course any mag
made after 2004 domestically or made in a foreign country typically doesnt
have these markings at all. And then theres the "this gun didnt
exist, so therefore the prebans couldnt have existed" but even that has
holes in it sometimes.... like the problem with the USP45 mags. (there
was a guy that imported them before the gun was availiable domestically,
as he knew there would be a demand for them after the ban took effect!)

Of course... there are things that can make people suspicious, such as
the newness of the magazine, or whatever, but I have at least one Glock
NFML mag that "looks new" so I dont know if that really amounts to anything,
either. (the only conclusion that one can reasonably make is "oh, well,
NFML is old, so it -must- be preban") Otherwise we're just grabbing
at straws, more or less. Until someone from, say, Sigarms comes
out and like publishes a memo showing magazines, markings/other identifying
characteristics, and dates of production, its going to be very hard
to tell what you're getting.

Another confusing thing with Sigarms is that some of the newer mags
are blued, and some are parkerized. While it might be a fair bet
that the blued ones are post, what further screws this up is that mecgars
have almost always been blued, even before the ban... and to top it off,
mecgar is the sig OEM anyways... which makes things that much more
complicated.

Other manufacturers get even more dicey... the Beretta especially....
yeah there are the Beretta 92 italian factory mags... but then there are
at least a half dozen styles of knockoffs that seemed to work pretty well too,
and those are in common use and often sold as "preban". There are
so many Beretta 92 mags out there, that even during the middle of the
ban the price on them never really went over $50, depending on where
you got them from. There were a ton of the "taiwanese military" mags
floating around which had no markings whatsoever on them.... the only
way you could ID these mags was by their weak/cheap springs... other
than the springs, they worked great. (throw a wolff +10% in em and they'd
act normally)

-Mike

I always wondered that. The high caps I have bear no markings or date stamps or anything. What is the enforcement like on this law? I wondering if any of our lawyer friends could shed light on any cases about this or if LEO only cares if they are makred restricted or not.

Back
Top Bottom