• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone had to declare LTC "lost"?

A couple of newbies here with yet another processing question... In a nutshell we applied together and mine arrived on day 75. Today is day 90 for Joe and he still does not have it. Our Licensing Authority told us that when she received last week's batch his license was listed on the enclosures memo, yet there was a hole in the envelope from FRB and his was somehow missing. Waited a week, still has not arrived. LA wants to declare it lost. Have heard from various people to avoid doing that because it could cause problems or delays when he goes to purchase because there will be 2 different license numbers for him on file. If anyone has had to declare their's lost, how long did it take to re-issue and have you encounted any subsequent problems from doing so? Any insight is appreciated!

I thought I lost my wallet a long time ago, and my LTC was in it (found it much later). I went to the police station to get a new one, it wasn't a big deal. Chief was happy to resubmit an application or whatever the procedure was (no charge). All my IDs were in that wallet, so it I just rambled off a few numbers to verify my identity. I received the new license in like 14 days, it was Christmas time so government buildings were on holiday.

I think if you do get your original and have applied for a new one, they might ask you to destroy the old one when you receive the new one, if they changed your numbers. Not too sure, its been awhile. You also get a new pin too, I think.

With the back log now, Good Luck

This was Millbury, MA

Last edited:
Thanks RK, at least there's a glimmer of hope. Just have a feeling with the intergalactic backlog of applications he'll probably be stuck at square one.

No problem. My husband lost his. FRB (I think) cancels the old one and issues a new one. Just like it's an expired LTC. you will have no problems. And it's easier if you memorize the PIN and use that when buying instead of the finger print reader.

This has been such a long process, it feels like he is being stalled. 90 days today. He did finally get through to FRB supervisor after trying for a week. She was nonchalant about it getting lost, says it happens often (?). Tax dollars hard at work, buying crappy envelopes.

Thanks all, for input!

I lost my wallet once, complete with LTC. I thought it would be no big deal, like getting a duplicate MV license or registation. WRONG! It took just as long to get the replacement permit as it did to renew the old one. To add insult to injury, my wallet, complete with old permit, arrived via USPS a couple of days after I got my replacement. Someone found it and droppped it in a mail box.

As a result of this experience, I no longer carry my permit in my wallet. I leave it in the safe and remove it when I take a gun out.

Lost mine awhile back.

Reported it to the PD, picked up my replacement 3-4 days later.

Thing I found odd (I'm not certain if this is routine or not), was that I had to file a police report for a lost/stolen wallet... when did I lose it, where, how, when was the last time I saw it, what was in it, etc.

I just spent a while looking through the law, and I didn't see a requirement to be in physical possession of your LTC while carrying, or to produce it on demand, but I seem to recall reading that it was a requirement.

Did I miss it, or is there no requirement to carry it with you?

I lost my wallet once, complete with LTC. I thought it would be no big deal, like getting a duplicate MV license or registation. WRONG! It took just as long to get the replacement permit as it did to renew the old one. To add insult to injury, my wallet, complete with old permit, arrived via USPS a couple of days after I got my replacement. Someone found it and droppped it in a mail box.

As a result of this experience, I no longer carry my permit in my wallet. I leave it in the safe and remove it when I take a gun out.

You were jerked around. Replacement LTC/FID should take no more than a week to get . . . two weeks on the outside if the state is backlogged on printing them up.

I'll bet your PD did nothing until they did a full series of background checks on you AGAIN (NOT required for a replacement)!

I just spent a while looking through the law, and I didn't see a requirement to be in physical possession of your LTC while carrying, or to produce it on demand, but I seem to recall reading that it was a requirement.

Did I miss it, or is there no requirement to carry it with you?

From MGL C. 140 S. 129C

Presentment of licensure on demand of police

[FONT=LKAOBC+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman][FONT=LKAOBC+TimesNewRoman,Times New Roman]Any person who, while not being within the limits of his own property or residence, or such person whose property or residence is under lawful search, and who is not exempt under this section, shall on demand of a police officer or other law enforcement officer, exhibit his license to carry firearms, or his firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card, or, after January first, nineteen hundred and seventy, exhibit a valid hunting license issued to him which shall bear the number officially inscribed of such license to carry or card if any. Upon failure to do so such person may be required to surrender to such officer said firearm, rifle or shotgun which shall be taken into custody as under the provisions of section one hundred and twenty-nine D, except that such firearm, rifle or shotgun shall be returned forthwith upon presentation within thirty days of said license to carry firearms, firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card or hunting license as herein before described. Any person subject to the conditions of this paragraph may, even though no firearm, rifle or shotgun was surrendered, be required to produce within thirty days said license to carry firearms, firearm identification card or receipt for fee paid for such card, or said hunting license, failing which the conditions of section one hundred and twenty-nine D will apply. Nothing in this section shall prevent any person from being prosecuted for any violation of this chapter.
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=LKBBHI+Arial,Bold,Arial][FONT=LKBBHI+Arial,Bold,Arial]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=LKBBHI+Arial,Bold,Arial][FONT=LKBBHI+Arial,Bold,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom