Has anyone done this?

While waiting for my NES AR-15 I could not pass up on a Ruger Mini 14.[smile]
I have found a forum which discuses having the mini's barrel Cryogenic Tempered, and was wondering if anyone had done this treatment to an AR's barrel. I will be sending my mini's barrel out for this. Hell for $35 bucks, sounds like it will help [thinking]

from there web site. http://www.cryopro.com/gun/index.html
ACCURIZING by CRYOPRO
"A computer controlled scientific dry process which relieves stress in firearm barrels. Stresses cause a barrel to bend or warp as it heats from repeated firing. This warping causes a stringing, walking or wandering effect in the shot group. After the Deep Cryogenic Tempering process, the barrel will no longer bend or warp. The end result is a firearm barrel with proven, increased performance (both improved accuracy and extended barrel life)."

Cryogenic treatment to remove internal stress in metal parts, including barrels, is nothing new.

Spending money to have a Mini's barrel so treated, however, is like tweaking the chip in a Yugo.

They also do drill bits, Knife blades, golf club, and they have good success. The concept makes sense. I guess as far as shooting goes. When I get good enough to start blaming my equipment, I'll think about it.

Cryogenic treatment to remove internal stress in metal parts, including barrels, is nothing new.

Spending money to have a Mini's barrel so treated, however, is like tweaking the chip in a Yugo.

The mini-14 inaccuracies are predominately due to the heating of the barrel. Other inaccuracies
in the rifle are no less or greater than what any other rifle owner deals with to try to bring
their rifle up to competition performance. If this treatment does in fact eliminate, or greatly
diminish this effect and improves accuracy, your comment which is intended to disparage the
rifle falls apart.

The mini-14 inaccuracies are predominately due to the heating of the barrel. Other inaccuracies
in the rifle are no less or greater than what any other rifle owner deals with to try to bring
their rifle up to competition performance. If this treatment does in fact eliminate, or greatly
diminish this effect and improves accuracy, your comment which is intended to disparage the
rifle falls apart.
The Mini series have a licorice whip for a barrel and a well-deserved reputation for abominable accuracy - to the point where Ruger has admitted the defect in its introduction of the ugly(ier?) new Mini for the specific purpose of addressing said defect.

My analogy stands accordingly.

The Mini series have a licorice whip for a barrel and a well-deserved reputation for abominable accuracy - to the point where Ruger has admitted the defect in its introduction of the ugly(ier?) new Mini for the specific purpose of addressing said defect.

My analogy stands accordingly.

Your exaggerations are up for argument counselor. As to your "abominable accuracy"
statement would you be kind enough to post a tiny bit more comprehensive explanation
at to what you consider that to be? It's not a competition rifle I will give you that, but
it was never intended to be that, nor does it carry a price tag associated with such arms.
The OP wanted to know if a $35 enhancement might improve that "abominable accuracy"
and you shat all over the rifle instead of answering the question. What I do know about
the rifle since I have read pro and con from many users and my own experience is that
the dominant negative effect on accuracy is the heating of the barrel from being fired.
Since the treatment the OP is seeking advice on is to address that, I cannot see where
this would not be worth giving it a shot (no pun intended). YMDV I presume...

It's not a competition rifle I will give you that, but
it was never intended to be that, nor does it carry a price tag associated with such arms.
The OP wanted to know if a $35 enhancement might improve that "abominable accuracy"
and you shat all over the rifle instead of answering the question.

Nonsense. I specifically stated that cryogenic treatment was an accepted technique for eliminating internal stress in metal parts, including gun barrels.

What I did ridicule is applying a process usually reserved for match rifles to the Mini-14/30, a "pray and spray special" of the first order. I had a -14, a friend had a -30 and only a terminal Ruger apologist (and I am NOT saying you are one) would claim the series is not "accuracy challenged." As I got 2 rep points for my analogy, it seems I am not alone in my assessment.

NOTE: The OP has an AR on order. Why he would even buy a mere Mini when he has an AR in the pipeline is beyond me, unless he has enough discretionary income to buy a "beater" gun for guests to amuse themselves with while he plays with the good toy. [rolleyes]

Spending another $35+ on the -14's barrel is $35 he could have spent getting the AR's barrel done - for which investment he would have had a far better return.

However, it's his money, his gun and his call. May he enjoy the gun, with or without "freeze-drying."

Last edited:
Guys all I asked was if anyone has every Cyro an AR barrel.
Yes I know the mini is not a sniper rifle, it was never meant to be and read that this treatment has been know to help with the MOA.
I could not pass up the deal I got on it. Who cares what I do with my money.
I was going to make my AR into a carbine rifle, but by buying the Mini I can make this into a CQC carbine and make the more accurate AR into a sniper rifle of sorts.

Last edited:
I like my mini 14, along with all the pre-ban 40 round clips I bought for it years ago. [grin] It is a good, solid ,well made , reliable rifle .
Accuracy is good enough. If you dont believe that, I dare any coyote or zombie to go bouncing around a couple hundred yards out and let me take a couple shots.......

Yikes - The AR vs Mini-14 discussions abound like SA vs TDA, Plastic vs Steel, Glock or Not to Glock, .45 vs 9mm, etc, etc, etc.

I have a Mini-14 - bought it used for short money. It's fun to shoot and once it warms up I can keep all the rounds in a paper plate at 100 yrds (it holds a "minute of felon" as they say on some other boards). However I wouldn't use it for anything serious past that distance.

I would guess the barrel design and inability to really bed the action stems from Ruger telling it's engineers to make the design cheap to manufacture and damn the accuracy. If they had only made this rifle to be more accurate and had made factory 10 rd and hi-caps available to the public, Ruger could had reaped so much more in profits.

It is dead nuts reliable. The manual of arms is simple. OTOH the Ruger factory is a PIA for restricting the sale of firing pins and other parts.

I would be interested however to read if the new "NRA" model with the 16" barrel has less stringing problems as it heats up - less barrel to whip back and forth? If so I would spend the money to have mine cut down and recrowned.

Be careful if you are left handed! I have fired two rounds through a Mini 14, the first bounced off my glasses, the next off my front teeth. The right handed owner had no such problems and I am not willing to repeat the experiment.

Click on the thing that looks like a crumpled up piece of paper to the left of the warning sign.

You always make me laugh +1 rep for that.

I would say to the OP - give the mini a few days down the range. If you still feel the need to send it out for treatment you will be able to give us all a good report back on what difference it actually has made.

Last edited:
Be careful if you are left handed! I have fired two rounds through a Mini 14, the first bounced off my glasses, the next off my front teeth. The right handed owner had no such problems and I am not willing to repeat the experiment.

I do shoot LH. I only got hit once on a brass ricochet. Other than that all I do is chase brass
as it tosses the stuff about twenty yards to the right and rear. I have fired hundreds of
rounds through it. Other than that it's not any worse or better than any other semi rifle
I have shot.

Back
Top Bottom