• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone try this scope athlon helos-btr-1-4-5x24-atsr3-sfp-ir-moa/

I have one on my ‘service rifle’ build. I just shot with it two days ago and I like it a lot.

If you’re getting into NRA Service Rifle, get the vortex cantilever mount that goes as far forward as possible as well as a lens piece from white oak armament for the really slick setup on the cheap.

You literally can’t beat it for the price and there are a lot of guys at the ‘lower-mid’ tiers of service rifle competition that do very well with that scope. No complaints on my end, and unless I start scoring top 5 at my local level (which is actually a VERY competitive local level due to the club I’m in being one of the more active clubs for competition in the mid west) you won’t see me upgrading any time soon.

It’s REALLY solid glass for the price.

I think @dw617 turned me onto it.

Last edited:
Big fan of Athlon Optics.
Great scope for the money.

Pretty sure this is the model that I have:
6x24x50 FFP 1/10 MRAD

View attachment 557497
I have known of athlon for several yesrs. Lots of the air rifle crowd I drift in and out of love them. I was close to getting a 8x32 model but went with sightron

I have one on my ‘service rifle’ build. I just shot with it two days ago and I like it a lot.

If you’re getting into NRA Service Rifle, get the vortex cantilever mount that goes as far forward as possible as well as a lens piece from white oak armament for the really slick setup on the cheap.

You literally can’t beat it for the price and there are a lot of guys at the ‘lower-mid’ tiers of service rifle competition that do very well with that scope. No complaints on my end, and unless I start scoring top 5 at my local level (which is actually a VERY competitive local level due to the club I’m in being one of the more active clubs for competition in the mid west) you won’t see me upgrading any time soon.

I figure if I want to continue any service rifle I need to back up my eyeballs a little. Its getting tough to shoot irons.
Especially beyond 300 the correction needed to focus on the front makes looking down 600 yards a bit hard. I call it the seasick effect.
Was going to get the WOA scope but it was back ordered and now I second guess spending that much.

This what mean

I have one. It was on my#1 rifle for 2 years and worked well. 2 things I don't love about it:
1. The 1/2 minute dot can be hard to focus on at the end of a long day.
2. I wish the reticle ring was smaller so it could be used if you lose the dot due to a puff of gas or sweat in the eye, fog, etc.

Other than those 2 things, it always tracks, seems to be good glass, and the price is right.
I have now bought the WOA DR scope. It cures the 2 problems I have with the Athlon. I love it and always try to steer people in that direction.

I have one. It was on my#1 rifle for 2 years and worked well. 2 things I don't love about it:
1. The 1/2 minute dot can be hard to focus on at the end of a long day.
2. I wish the reticle ring was smaller so it could be used if you lose the dot due to a puff of gas or sweat in the eye, fog, etc.

Other than those 2 things, it always tracks, seems to be good glass, and the price is right.
I have now bought the WOA DR scope. It cures the 2 problems I have with the Athlon. I love it and always try to steer people in that direction.
On back order like most things these days.
Of course im going against my own thinking with the athlon that its not “dedicated” use vs the WOA which is very much made for service rifle . I did notice the “ring” on the athlon is pretty big.
Still have to sell some more stuff before I decide.

For $500 better get a 1-10x swampfox - if you want an lpvo.

Athlons are ok mid tier scopes but comparable primary arms are better. I tried some and the only one I kept is a 3-7x or 3-9x something.
FOV is a bit small on all of them, contrast is so-so for Chinese cut glass, but overall it works. I would say optically they are just bit worse than vortex diamondbacks.

For $600 the best scopes to get are vortex pst2 on sale at eurooptic with 2D mrad reticle. Pst2 is still better than all those other ones.

Last edited:
If I was getting into SR today, I would get the White Oak scope. The athlon scopes were popular as a mid-tier scope before the WOAs came out.

For $500 better get a 1-10x swampfox - if you want an lpvo.

Athlons are ok mid tier scopes but comparable primary arms are better. I tried some and the only one I kept is a 3-7x or 3-9x something.
FOV is a bit small on all of them, contrast is so-so for Chinese cut glass, but overall it works. I would say optically they are just bit worse than vortex diamondbacks.

For $600 the best scopes to get are vortex pst2 on sale at eurooptic with 2D mrad reticle. Pst2 is still better than all those other ones.
There’s a magnification limit of 4.5x for service rifle competition. The scopes that are being talked about here are all dedicated NRA high power service rifle ‘legal’.

I got my Athlon slightly used for $250 or $300 and the vortex mount was another $80 or so, I think. All in all, I probably have the least expensive service rifle build on the line and that’s fine by me. The most expensive part on the rifle besides the scope was the damn geissele national match trigger, but MAN is it nice.

Kind of a shitty photo, but this is a group from 200yds I took this pas Sunday of a 10yd group with some sloppily made ammo on my Dillon 550b (77gr Nosler CC w/24gr Varget)...about 1MOA with the exception of the two fliers which were likely due to shooter error and not the rifle.

Attachments

• 6709BE08-6719-4855-BCCA-43EDE70B66F1.png
    6709BE08-6719-4855-BCCA-43EDE70B66F1.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Athlon makes good optics

I dont understand why anyone would go for a SFP optic where the there's no consist value between reticle subtensions as magnification changes

Top it off by throwing MOA onto the fire....milrad is the way forward
Again, this optic isn’t really used primarily as an adjustable magnification scope, although it obviously is capable of doing so.

It could have just as well been made as a fixed power scope because basically everyone uses it at max magnification regardless of what known distance yard line you’re firing from...so FFP or SFP is pretty irrelevant. 100% agree with regards to MOA v MRAD though.

At the end of the day, it is the cheapest service rifle scope available on the market at 4.5x and ‘legal’ for use. If you’re looking to get your dick wet without blowing your load, the Athlon is a good choice.

As DW can tell you, the upper echelon of pricing can be quite expensive in this niche...think $2000 for a fixed power 4.5x optic 😲

Athlon makes good optics

I dont understand why anyone would go for a SFP optic where the there's no consist value between reticle subtensions as magnification changes

SFP has its place, and a 1-4 is one of those. I don't think I ever used my 1-4 on 3x.

My buddy has a WOA, a Vortex Razor, and a March. He likes the WOA the best.

The entire sport of Highpower Rifle revolves around MOA. At 600, the X ring is 1MOA, 10 ring is 2MOA, 9-3MOA, and so on. We really have no need for milrads.

Or, as I heard an old-timer in the pits one day "You can take your milrads, your metric system, and your velcro sneakers, and shove 'em up your ass".

My buddy has a WOA, a Vortex Razor, and a March. He likes the WOA the best.

The entire sport of Highpower Rifle revolves around MOA. At 600, the X ring is 1MOA, 10 ring is 2MOA, 9-3MOA, and so on. We really have no need for milrads.

Or, as I heard an old-timer in the pits one day "You can take your milrads, your metric system, and your velcro sneakers, and shove 'em up your ass".
MOA is great when everyone is on the same page. Go to a "PRS" competition, and all the kids use mil now.

Nothing wrong with velcro tennis shoes.

Outside of that possible niche the entire world and every military on the planet has moved on to mils.......

High power has its roots in mil pattern rifle

Try taking a precision course or having a discussion/etc about wind and its all mil

Everyone coming out of military is trained in mils at this point as I understand it

Not suggesting folks set in their ways should change.....only that if someone is buying a NEW piece of equipment that maybe its time to consider joining the 21st century
Cool story, but this thread is about opinions on scopes for use in Highpower Rifle. You can't show me anybody who is WINNING who is using milrads.
When we start a thread about scopes for PRS or military use, you guys can bloviate about milrads till the cows come home.

I dunno.
I've been eyeing this and the other piece of Chinesium. Even watched the you tube review by the guy who did a decent job except for the fact he appears to have absolutely no idea. Just when I'm ready to buy I start thinking "Just go for the 1.5 k Leupold..you know it's what you really want" only to recall a few pricey hanguns I purchased only to have a rule change or new tech render them obsolete or not in compliance in very short order.

I do know this....most, more likely all, of my shooting will be on reduced courses for the foreseeable future. making the big turrets much less of a factor? Perhaps a trip to Scarborough or Nashua if I can get in one of the introductory classes. Currently I can't outshoot my VX-2 Leupold. Not by a long stretch. Pretty sure any funds would be better spent on a mount that gets my nose up to the charging handle, the G trigger and bullets and powder, lots of bullets and powder.

Who knows though......maybe in a moment of weakness. If so I'll let you know.

Athlon makes good optics

Eh, moa brain and pretty sure moa will get me where i need to go with service rifle

Again, this optic isn’t really used primarily as an adjustable magnification scope, although it obviously is capable of doing so.

It could have just as well been made as a fixed power scope because basically everyone uses it at max magnification regardless of what known distance yard line you’re firing from...so FFP or SFP is pretty irrelevant. 100% agree with regards to MOA v MRAD though.

At the end of the day, it is the cheapest service rifle scope available on the market at 4.5x and ‘legal’ for use. If you’re looking to get your dick wet without blowing your load, the Athlon is a good choice.

As DW can tell you, the upper echelon of pricing can be quite expensive in this niche...think $2000 for a fixed power 4.5x optic 😲
Yeah $1500 plus is out of the question
Maybe if I was going to the nationals regularly or at least hitting the service rifle matches more than a few times a year if lucky.

Outside of that possible niche the entire world and every military on the planet has moved on to mils.......

High power has its roots in mil pattern rifle

Try taking a precision course or having a discussion/etc about wind and its all mil

Everyone coming out of military is trained in mils at this point as I understand it

Not suggesting folks set in their ways should change.....only that if someone is buying a NEW piece of equipment that maybe its time to consider joining the 21st century
I dont get how any century has to do with it
Both are forms of math in the form of angles.

Yeah $1500 plus is out of the question
Maybe if I was going to the nationals regularly or at least hitting the service rifle matches more than a few times a year if lucky.
That’s kinda where I’m at. I’ll likely never actually be competitive because my life is in a tailspin and I’m out of momentum...but I still like to get out.

I dont get how any century has to do with it
Both are forms of math in the form of angles.
I wont argue whats better
I just find MOA to be a bit easier
1 MOA is close enough to 1” to keep things simple…. When it comes to fixed distance and target size im stuck in clicks.
1 mil is 3.6” or 91ish mm
0.1 mil .36”
I guess if your fluent in metricnese its fine .
We all end up using what works.

I dunno.
I've been eyeing this and the other piece of Chinesium. Even watched the you tube review by the guy who did a decent job except for the fact he appears to have absolutely no idea. Just when I'm ready to buy I start thinking "Just go for the 1.5 k Leupold..you know it's what you really want" only to recall a few pricey hanguns I purchased only to have a rule change or new tech render them obsolete or not in compliance in very short order.

I do know this....most, more likely all, of my shooting will be on reduced courses for the foreseeable future. making the big turrets much less of a factor? Perhaps a trip to Scarborough or Nashua if I can get in one of the introductory classes. Currently I can't outshoot my VX-2 Leupold. Not by a long stretch. Pretty sure any funds would be better spent on a mount that gets my nose up to the charging handle, the G trigger and bullets and powder, lots of bullets and powder.

Who knows though......maybe in a moment of weakness. If so I'll let you know.
Yeah im sure by the time I get a scope Cmp/nra will change the rules lol
One thing going on for me is over the years front sight clarity has faded
So I went smaller rear aperture and larger front sights until I started being able to see clearly through the small aperture
So I have gone up in size in rear aperture and even the fat or wide front sights are getting hard to focus on. Then I started with Rx corrections to get the front sight back.
What happens now is with the larger rear aperture wide front sight and Rx @ anything over 200 yards the black bull starts to vanish and my eyes strain and get tired quick
With a scope I can adjust the eye bell to see the reticle clearly no matter if I wear my shooting RX or not .

0.1 mil .36”
now it has to be at 300yds, and you need to do some clicks to move it about of 1.7" diagonally, and you do know how many you would need to do with a 1/4 moa turret - and need to convert it now into the 1/10th mrad clicks on the fly.
fun.
i still struggle with the same thing as i have now half of scopes with mrad and all older ones on sweet moa. :)

everybody who say it is a seamless transition - do lie.

now it has to be at 300yds, and you need to do some clicks to move it about of 1.7" diagonally, and you do know how many you would need to do with a 1/4 moa turret - and need to convert it now into the 1/10th mrad clicks on the fly.
fun.
i still struggle with the same thing as i have now half of scopes with mrad and all older ones on sweet moa. :)

everybody who say it is a seamless transition - do lie.
If its mils and meters sure no problems , right?
I think the problem arises when its all mixed up,
Running mil on KD yardage or MOA on a Meter ranged ?

I write cheat notes right on rifle or scope caps. I have a “traditional” mil dot scope you know the old school cross hair ret with the “dots” .
I dont think much about it
Its a SFP and substends on 10x . I just think in easy numbers 3.5” instead of 3.6”
Maybe IF I ever run out beyond a few hundred yards with that set up I would think in a more “precise” way

Last edited:
Looks like intergalactic back order,
John H is constantly ordering/getting batches of these scope in groups of 250 I heard. Most of the time they are always spoken for, so they are constantly on backorder. If you want one, just put in the order and you'll probably have it in a month or two.

Ok quick question how many of you “mils”
Users have made the full flip?
fps - m/s
Mph - kmh
Yards - Meter
What else am I missing

Back
Top Bottom