• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone been spot "check" to see if they are MA

compliant? Say for you have your AR with you and has the law ask to see your AR they are spot checking to see if you are MA compliant.

There are chances that I get ramp check when I'm working on aircraft. That has only happened once to me in twenty-five years. That's the reason I ask.

No. Cops can't just "spot check" without probable cause. (Unless you let them.)

Last edited:
Sorry the coffee has worn off. I should have been clearer.

I work on aircraft which the FAA can ramp check me to make sure I have my certificate, calibration dates are current, parts are traceable, and other stuff. This lead me to the spot checks on guns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sorry the coffee has worn off. I should have been clearer.

I work on aircraft which the FAA can ramp check me to make sure I have my certificate, calibration dates are current, parts are traceable, and other stuff. This lead me to the spot checks on guns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If figured you were a pilot or A&P.

There are few if any occasions where you're likely to have your rifle come into contact with the police. Most shooting in MA is done on private property - clubs. By contrast shooters in CA use public ranges and public lands such as those managed by BLM. They regulatory come into contact with law enforcement which regularly results in charges (both valid and invalid) for violating CA's AWB.

compliant? Say for you have your AR with you and has the law ask to see your AR they are spot checking to see if you are MA compliant.
Remember these words: "I do not consent to a search of my person or property". If they have probable cause, they won't bother to ask your permission.

i'm no lawyer, but I believe game wardens (i.e. "environmental police") can do all sorts of inspections without a search warrant in the guise of finding hunting violations. You can tell them to go to hell, but I think they are going to look anyway.

Ramp checks are not considered searches because they are administrative. I believe they are limited to AROW and your cert. That doesn't mean they won't exceed their authority and start asking about other stuff. You are also free to tell them you don't have time right now, and they can contact you later.

Asking to inspect your gun IS a search, and is protected by the fourth amendment. If they ask to see it, remember these words: "I DO NOT CONSENT TO A SEARCH". What they'll probably do is say "Hey, that's a nice AR, can I see it?". If they start with the "what do you have to hide?" or "why are you being combative?" lines, simply respond that you do not believe it is in your best interest to consent to a search or answer any questions (because it's not)

Back
Top Bottom