• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harbor Freight plastic ammo can $2.99

I'm leery buying anything plastic these days, even friggin Lowes buckets have tendency to fall apart in the cold or repeated use. Shitty plastic can literally disintegrate at the worst moment, I don't know how they implant that kind of tech into shitty plastic, but I know that it would crack and fail just at that moment, precisely.

Friends don't let friends waste money on shit. Get steel cans. Few bucks more, more peace of mind.

I'm leery buying anything plastic these days, even friggin Lowes buckets have tendency to fall apart in the cold or repeated use. Shitty plastic can literally disintegrate at the worst moment, I don't know how they implant that kind of tech into shitty plastic, but I know that it would crack and fail just at that moment, precisely.

Friends don't let friends waste money on shit. Get steel cans. Few bucks more, more peace of mind.
I always have peace of mind when buying Chinese plastic items from Harbor Frieght Tools, purveyors of high-quality items for the budget minded.
Just the right item for my home, just the right price for my pocketbook... er, um... I mean European carry-all.

I bought one on a whim when I was there getting some gloves when it was really cold out. Bobbled it in the parking lot and it fell on the asphalt. Broke into pieces like a piece of glass. Didn’t even bother to try to get a replacement. The gloves are great though.

Last week Tractor Supply had some real nice black Ammo Cans (metal) for 10 bucks, Made in China of course but still pretty decent quality.

If you are heading to the one in Southwick call first because I pretty much cleaned them out.

Last week Tractor Supply had some real nice black Ammo Cans (metal) for 10 bucks, Made in China of course but still pretty decent quality.

If you are heading to the one in Southwick call first because I pretty much cleaned them out.
I bough a few and liked them, when I went back for more, somebody cleaned them out.

HF also has metal ammo cans... same chinese build as other places.

As for the plastic ones... I have a lot of the HF plastic cans around the house... my son uses about 6 of them for his nerf ammo.
The others are scattered about for storage of various items... one is full of coffee beans.

Also, I have that Lynxx 40v Lithium pole saw, and it's worked like a champ. It's cut up way more than I would have expected it too, it's outlived it's $140 price. So anything I get out of it now is bonus. It's worked so well over the years, that I'm tempted to get the chain saw version.

I got a 4 gun hard plastic pistol case that's very comparable to a Pelican but at a fraction of the cost. Extremely good value for $57 shipped from HF.

The thin flimsy plastic ammo cans aren't for me. I prefer the metal ammo cans that can handle the weight.

The steel cans are a lot more than a few bucks, more like $10. I'm not praising the plastic cans tho, but they are a very good price for basic ammo storage and organization.

Compared to the Plano ones you'd see on sale at Dicks for $5 during a buy one get one free sale, the Harbor Freights are smaller and they don't stack as securely and they feel clunky when you open/close the lid and lock/unlock the lid; the quality is not as good as the Planos.

For a few bucks more, the Plano cans are better and I don't plan to buy any more of the HF's. IMO, both the HF and Plano cans are too small to hold a decent amount of ammo.

I stepped up to MTM plastic .50 cal cans and they're fantastic and you can get them for $10 at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MTM-AMMO-CAN-50-CALIBER-7-4-X13-5-X-8-5-POLY-GREEN/24534875

Can't stand on them like you can the metal cans, but for the amount of weight you'll be putting in them, they can handle it. Wouldn't stack too many fully loaded tho.

Compared to the Plano ones you'd see on sale at Dicks for $5 during a buy one get one free sale, the Harbor Freights are smaller and they don't stack as securely and they feel clunky when you open/close the lid and lock/unlock the lid; the quality is not as good as the Planos.

For a few bucks more, the Plano cans are better and I don't plan to buy any more of the HF's. IMO, both the HF and Plano cans are too small to hold a decent amount of ammo.

I stepped up to MTM plastic .50 cal cans and they're fantastic and you can get them for $10 at Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MTM-AMMO-CAN-50-CALIBER-7-4-X13-5-X-8-5-POLY-GREEN/24534875

Can't stand on them like you can the metal cans, but for the amount of weight you'll be putting in them, they can handle it. Wouldn't stack too many fully loaded tho.

I have several Plano and MTM plastic .50 and .30 cans. The Plano ones are total shit and break so easily. I've had some of the .50s break, and it's been the f***ing latch handle every time.

The MTM ones look chunkier than the Plano cans, but they are far more sturdily built. Never had one of them break, and I've got several of the larger ammo crates for storing two cases of shotgun shells each. Those things are built like a tank and have survived being thrown about, dropped down stairs, dropped on concrete, tossed in my trunk, etc. All fully loaded to capacity with about 50lbs of shotgun shells.

Go with MTM. I actually need to buy some more to replace the shitty broken Plano ones.

I’ve accumulated a bunch of plastic Plano ones I bought at Walmart. Five bucks each.

Not sure what you guys use ammo cans for but mine hold 9 boxes of 9mm, and I just use them to organize my safe. I drop a silica gel pack in each one too.

They do the job and I’ve saved a little money.

Screenshot_2019-03-01-07-59-34~2.png I bought one of those plastic ones from HB but when I fill it up it bows out the sides and the lid won't close enough to latch. I'd stick with the metal ones for ammo.

I'm looking at that retractable air hose. Hmmmm. I could use one of those in the garage.

I have their Diablo retractable hose unit and it is really good.

I would warn people off of the ammo boxes though, I have a couple and when they were in the sun, like when you are out shooting, the o ring seals got soft, fell out and never really regained their shape to seal the can. Other than not being sealed, I guess they are OK for storage.

There are some deals to be had at HF and it’s worth joining their member’s club. I just rejoin every year online so they send you the
$10 coupon each time you rejoin.

I went in last week with a coupon. I had the guy get me 20. As I was cashing out, I noticed the limit on the coupon. Guy rang it up without a care in the world.

Yes, they don't pay attention to the limits here either. They want the sale.

Last time they were $2.99 here, for weeks after the sale they had cases of them stacked up unsold. Nobody's buying at the higher prices.

Looks like I'll be stopping by HF tomorrow for another 20 or more.

Back
Top Bottom