Handheld GPS For Hunting

Reading up on a few hunting posts of people asking of good hunting spots I noticed a few said not to go out alone. Well this got me into researching Handheld GPS units. What do some of you prefer for an affordable unit? Are the non-mapping GPS hard to follow? I will more than likely head out hunting with a buddy who has been out before. I figure this will give me the opportunity to go out alone or explore new grounds. Thanks.

GPS

We use the Garmin 120 Rino's. Does 2 things for us: 1) radio communications and 2) GPS w/ mapping. One neat thing is you can actually view where the other parties are (provided they have Rino's), and are moving towards (can see their bread crumb trail). Great when doing drives and/or at night when someome does not come out at prescribed time.

I've been using a Garmin 12 for years. I'm just too cheap to upgrade and it does what I need it to do. Gets me to the spot I want to be and will get me back to the road at night.

That being said:

1. Remember to bring extra batteries for what ever you buy. These things have a way of running out of juice just when you need it the most.

2. Have, and know how to use a compass. I carry three. Just in case I think the 1st one is broken and don't believe the second one. If you don't understand that, you've never spent any real time in the deep woods.

I've never been lost in the woods. Just powerful confused for several hours.

Reading up on a few hunting posts of people asking of good hunting spots I noticed a few said not to go out alone. Well this got me into researching Handheld GPS units. What do some of you prefer for an affordable unit? Are the non-mapping GPS hard to follow? I will more than likely head out hunting with a buddy who has been out before. I figure this will give me the opportunity to go out alone or explore new grounds. Thanks.

Remember that technology fails. If you can adding a bit of redundancy is a good idea. Extra batteries, a map, and a compass. And of course before you set out by yourself let a friend know when and where you are going to be so if something does happen they know where to start the search.

+1 to what Derek said.

GPS is an additional tool, not a substitute for a map and compass (and the knowledge of how to use them) and common sense.

That being said, I just finished a book called "Killed Bin Laden" which is the true story of Delta Force's hunt for Bin Laden in Tora Bora. The author, who was the commander on the ground in Tora Bora, wrote that one of the best pieces of technology they had there was $150 Garmin handhelds.

Good point-would definitely agree 100% on making sure you bring and know how to use compass(or compasses) as well. They are a great tool but I find we do get lazy with the GPS' and yes, the batteries will die.

I have a garmin foretrex 201.

Whenever I go traipsing in the woods all by my lonesome, I at the very least save a WPT where I went in (which is easy on this unit, just one button to hold for like 10 seconds).

It also has like 15hrs of battery life, but unfortunately its internal/rechargeable, not AAs or anything that could be swapped in the field.

I like it though. The wriststrap is convenient.

I don't hunt but I've done plenty of hiking. I have a Garmin 60cs and it generally works well. That said, the chip sets in the newer GPSs have gotten much better. They acquire the signal a lot quicker and tend to be a little better on power. If you're carrying backup batteries, I recommend Energizer Lithium AAs. Starting out with a good set of NiMHs is also a good idea. The point about bring a compass and map is also well taken.

Finally, and I'll probably catch hell for this, my iPhone is a better GPS than the typical handhelds.

Finally, and I'll probably catch hell for this, my iPhone is a better GPS than the typical handhelds.

I've got a Garmin 60CSx and a Delorme PN-20. Where I hunt, my Palm smartphone's GPS gets a fix quicker than either. I run the Google Maps application with the satellite view enabled, and it works better than either GPS for viewing/scrolling. I will be picking up a PN-40 though.

GPS is a great thing. You can do waypoints on sign throught the woods that you would never find again. And if it gets dark, that GPS can mean the difference between finding the car, or sleeping out under the stars.

But I have had them fail. I have had them give bearings that were off as much as 90 degrees. I have gone whole stretches of woods where the mountains screwed up too many of the satellites for it to work properly.

Basically you need a map, at least one compass (and I would agree with more), a flash light, and at least 3 ways to start some fire. Whenever people see me in the deeper woods, they always laugh because I am carrying enough gear to easily make it thru the night if I have to.

When you are wandering around the woods, it is not the gps you are watching, it should be your compass and map. I use the gps really only as a 2nd check on where I am, or how far I have to go to get to a point. That way, if the gps gets smashed in a fall, I pretty much know what direction to go in to bushwack out to the car.

+1, I have a Garmin 60CSx and while it is great in the little woods around my hometown where you are never more that an hour from roads etc. I always have a pack with maps, at least two compass', fire starters, lighters, first aid, water, thermal blankets, power bars.......you get the idea. It is the same pack I bring to Maine. Whether or not you are stranded in your backyard or miles away, preparation is the same.

I have not had trouble with sat. signal, but the small screen means glasses are a must.

Last edited:
GPS

IF YOUR HUNTING THE SAME AREA THINK ABOUT USING BRIGHT EYE TACKS THERE GREAT AND NOT EASILY SEEN DURING THE DAY UNLESS YOU KNOW THE ROUTE SO NO ONE ELSE GOES IN YOUR AREA ....NOT THAT IT HAPPENS SINCE EVERYONE IS HONEST

IF YOUR HUNTING THE SAME AREA THINK ABOUT USING BRIGHT EYE TACKS THERE GREAT AND NOT EASILY SEEN DURING THE DAY UNLESS YOU KNOW THE ROUTE SO NO ONE ELSE GOES IN YOUR AREA ....NOT THAT IT HAPPENS SINCE EVERYONE IS HONEST

I've been spotting more and more of those lately. I've used the tacks, but I think I'll start using the twist-tie type. The ties provide a much wider reflective range.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Treestands/Trail_Markers/Hunter`s_Specialties_Limb_Lights_36_pack/Page_1/TRM893504.html

When I mark a route, I don't mark it from where it can be seen from any other worn paths -- I use a natural trail marker for a point of reference. I also use them only as a means of getting into/out of a general area, not to a specific point. I also put up some "dummy" markers that lead to nowhere, or in a circle. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom