Hand loaded my first ammo today

I keep reading posts and articles regarding reloading. Right now I only shoot 9mm and 22lr. I have been saving a bunch of the 9mm casings because maybe, just maybe I will reload.

I am so tempted. My gun purchases so far take into serious consideration the cost to shoot, since I have no desire to go to the gun range and limit my time because of cost. My wife and I shoot at least once per week, although we got out three times last week. Right now we own a ruger mark iii, GP100 22lr, STI 2011 and sig p938. I have fallen in love with the revolver, and I really would like one in a larger caliber (not many 9mm revolvers out there). I would like a 1911 for my wife because the STI grip is just too big for her. Oh, and we need a rifle for target practice out to a 100yards or so. I was leaning toward a 22lr because it would be cheap to shoot.

Reloading may change my attitude toward calibers. Uggh, the problems we are faced with :)

Pete

I keep reading posts and articles regarding reloading. Right now I only shoot 9mm and 22lr. I have been saving a bunch of the 9mm casings because maybe, just maybe I will reload.

I am so tempted. My gun purchases so far take into serious consideration the cost to shoot, since I have no desire to go to the gun range and limit my time because of cost. My wife and I shoot at least once per week, although we got out three times last week. Right now we own a ruger mark iii, GP100 22lr, STI 2011 and sig p938. I have fallen in love with the revolver, and I really would like one in a larger caliber (not many 9mm revolvers out there). I would like a 1911 for my wife because the STI grip is just too big for her. Oh, and we need a rifle for target practice out to a 100yards or so. I was leaning toward a 22lr because it would be cheap to shoot.

Reloading may change my attitude toward calibers. Uggh, the problems we are faced with :)

Pete

Honestly if you're just shooting 22 and 9mm I probably wouldn't bother. Especially if you're not shooting competition and trying to tune the ammo for your gun etc. 9mm is down to $10 per box or so and my reloads are only a few $ cheaper. Though it is still fun to make your own ammo regardless if you don't shoot much or save that much $. I enjoy seeing the ammo pile up knowing I made it.

Pretty much in agreement with the above.
If you really want to sit in on a reload session, you are welcome to come down to SE CT. I have primed 9x19mm ready to go, just need bullets (I don't own a niner). Actually, I do have a few cast bullets laying around that will suffice for reloading demonstration purposes.
Come try some rifle shooting (mostly old mil-surps) while you're here. Range on site.
You'll have to act fast (before 29 January) or wait til mid-March

As for 9mm revolvers, Ruger chambered the SP-101 in 9x19mm, I believe. Also had a Blackhawk with convertible cylinders...?

JZ3DdXP.jpg

Last edited:
I cast my bullets from wheel weights and linotype and most of my powder and primers were bought in bulk quite a while back when they were still cheap. (Anybody remember Perry White''s shop?). So my cost to load .38 special cast 158 grain SWCs is only a couple of dollars per 50. Even with today''s component prices I would probably still roll my own. If nothing else it's a good winter project. Once my press is adjusted and I'm up and running I'll keep pumping out the same load until I fill a 30 Cal ammo can.

These are 44.8gr of H4895 under a Hornady 150gr FMJ-BT @ 3.185". This is the mid power Garand load from the Hornady manual. Should be going ~2,500 FPS.

Nice! Can I ask what your load is? Just curious. I've had good luck with 46 gr of IMR-4064 under a 168 gr BTHP @ ~3.30"

- - - Updated - - -

I do remember Perry White's gun shop.

I cast my bullets from wheel weights and linotype and most of my powder and primers were bought in bulk quite a while back when they were still cheap. (Anybody remember Perry White''s shop?). So my cost to load .38 special cast 158 grain SWCs is only a couple of dollars per 50. Even with today''s component prices I would probably still roll my own. If nothing else it's a good winter project. Once my press is adjusted and I'm up and running I'll keep pumping out the same load until I fill a 30 Cal ammo can.

Back
Top Bottom