• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guy with 300 guns in house gets robbed- too many guns?

What about those who have lots of guns and lots of ammo? I know some who do and can shoot. I also know some who have a few guns and lots of ammo who can shoot. I even know some with lots of guns and little ammo who also can shoot.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go call mommy. [rolleyes]

I don't remember where I read it - but I recall reading something just like that: " you don't have to worry about the guy who buys dozens of guns - you should worry about the guy who only wants ONE ".

And that means that people with many guns have parenting issues and can't shoot?

Seriously, that was one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this forum.

I said that where?

I think he's just cross-referencing your post with Timber's.

And the quote you're looking for is something along the lines of:

"Beware the man with only one rifle, chances are he knows how to use it" -- implying that if you only ever shoot one rifle, you'll be much better at shooting that particular rifle than if you split your shooting time between guns....or something like that.

Of course, when I read Timber's post...I immediately thought of Fooped. At every shoot I've ever been to with him there, he's had more firearms in each case he brought than I've ever owned. I'm pretty sure he doesnt have any deep-seated mental issues regarding mommy and daddy. Or, nothing blatantly obvious anyway.

And I love my mom and dad. Never had a problem with them. And if I could come up with the scratch, I'd own 300+ firearms too.

I think he's just cross-referencing your post with Timber's.

And the quote you're looking for is something along the lines of:

"Beware the man with only one rifle, chances are he knows how to use it" -- implying that if you only ever shoot one rifle, you'll be much better at shooting that particular rifle than if you split your shooting time between guns....or something like that.

Of course, when I read Timber's post...I immediately thought of Fooped. At every shoot I've ever been to with him there, he's had more firearms in each case he brought than I've ever owned. I'm pretty sure he doesnt have any deep-seated mental issues regarding mommy and daddy. Or, nothing blatantly obvious anyway.

And I love my mom and dad. Never had a problem with them. And if I could come up with the scratch, I'd own 300+ firearms too.

Yeah - I know what he was cross-referencing, but I didn't make any mention of people having daddy or mommy issues. He is reading something into my post that I didn't say.

The thing I was thinking of is that quote you mentioned: "Beware the man with one rifle".

My gun safe is full of stuff - a lot of which I have never shot. I like Pilgrim's description - it pretty much captures why I have a lot the stuff I have. If the SHTF though there are 2 rifles I would run down and grab: the LMT AR, and the DSA FAL. The rest of them would either get buried or left behind.

After confirming that he as licenced,Could they have simply secured the home?What give the police the right to take property in for "safe keeping "to begin with.

Do the initials EC come to mind? [bow][bow][bow][bow]

Actually, they didn't - but having seen EC with a rifle in his hands, he is very good. No, I was thinking of Nickle. 30 some-odd years in the Guard, former bench-rest shooter, has a spare room full of guns (I've been to his place and seen them) and a damn good shooter. And a great teacher, too. Or I could mention my old riding partner, who's also got a nice collection. Or any of a bunch of people, none of whom have "mommy issues".

Absolutely nothing.

Absolutely right, however, imagine you are the "sworn public safety official" responding to a B&E call. You find an open door, enter and find 300 firearms hanging on the walls and in every closet. No gun safes. Would you nail a piece of plywood over the door and say "that should be good enough"?

There is a duty to act. Keeping firearms from being stolen, keeping the general public safe. Remember the story stated the cops were carrying firearms, not gun safes, out of the house. I would expect the homeowner and the Chief will have a conversation about security.

In my experience, most of the guys who buy gun after gun after gun, - the ones who are fixated on firearms-, tend to have daddy / mommy issues, and can't shoot for shit.
Timber, I gotta admire you for one thing; you never do anything by half-measures: When you're right, you are very right, and when you're wrong, you are very wrong.

ATT00016Small.jpg

Why hasn't this been posted yet?

So the IL police are going to give them back on the day the owner returns?
Absolutely right, however, imagine you are the "sworn public safety official" responding to a B&E call. You find an open door, enter and find 300 firearms hanging on the walls and in every closet. No gun safes. Would you nail a piece of plywood over the door and say "that should be good enough"?

There is a duty to act. Keeping firearms from being stolen, keeping the general public safe. Remember the story stated the cops were carrying firearms, not gun safes, out of the house. I would expect the homeowner and the Chief will have a conversation about security.

If I was LE or .Gov, I'd be more worried about the dude with 1 or 2 guns and 30k of ammo for them. In my experience, most of the guys who buy gun after gun after gun, - the ones who are fixated on firearms-, tend to have daddy / mommy issues, and can't shoot for shit.

I don't even worry about the guy with 30k rounds of ammo because they can only take what they can carry. Who would invest that kind of money unless they just plan on alot of target shooting?

I am seriously pissed over this one.

They were just tossing his collection on the ground, loose in the back of a pickup, and in a van. Probably devalueing it by thousands.

Farking a$$holes, all of them.

Seal the house, and keep a close eye on it.

I don't even worry about the guy with 30k rounds of ammo because they can only take what they can carry. Who would invest that kind of money unless they just plan on alot of target shooting?

Buy a couple of bricks of .22 and see how close you get up towards 30k.

Boy, sometimes I wonder what goes thru some peoples minds... then I get to see it written down. :(

Timber, I assume that the avatar you use is you in a class or match somewhere. Somebody could see that and draw a few conclusions from that without ever having seen or talked to you. Most people on this forum won't question that or add their 2 cents based on that picture or match results because at least you seem to know what you are doing. Still, does that picture show what your skill level or mental condition is? This is a shooting forum also and the final part of the statement you made was something that was better left unsaid. I have 12 Mosin Nagants - what do I have for issues? :)

Will IL give the guy back his guns? Probably, but not in the condition that they were in when they removed them. A couple will end up missing due to " procedure mistakes and storing " and some will just disappear and never to be seen again.

Joe R.

Not trying to open a box of popcorn for you fellows, but maybe that's what's going to happen anyway.

Some people are carpenters. They drive nails for a living, or they did in the past. They tend to stick with a couple of good hammerss that they know they can drive nails with even in their sleep. They're always looking for a better nail driver, and they usually ditch the hammers that don't drive a nail as effectively as they'd like.

Other people are fixated on hammers. They collect them. For some bizarre reason, owning lots of hammers makes them feel like they're carpenters. It makes them feel strong, like they can accomplish stuff. They get all uppity on internet forums and talk about how they're going to go out there and build stuff with their hammers. Some of them even end up teaching building skills even though they've never actually used or mastered they're tools.

And when they run into a carpenter who knows how to run a hammer, they tend to keep their damn mouths shut. They don't say "Hi, I've read your posts and I'd like to compare skills." Or "I'd like to talk a little further about why you were critiquing my particulare choice of hammer."

Instead, they hide behind their keyboard, give neg reps, and try to defend their fixation with hammers, instead of learning how to become effective with that tool that makes them feel like a man.

The world needs people to develop better hammers and better nails as much as it needs carpenters, but it's the fellows inbetween who collect tools and can neither use them properly, not improve them, that drive me crazy.

In my limited experience, those are the kind of guys I was refering to.

I kinda agree But I think you are lumping together gun owners and gun drivers. They are distinctly different group with limited crossover. The number of guns doesn't matter, its how you train. For me, guns are tools used to win competitions. I only want the tool that makes the job the easiest. I have no need for any others. Any time or money buying and training with any other inferior tool is time and money wasted. I suspect we are in the same boat

I don't agree that just because someone has a lot of guns that they are more likely to be a wannabe... They are going to be that will 1 or 100 guns.

Last edited:
Different schools of thought, I guess. I've always seen things like forks, knives, hammers, guns, whatever, as a means to an end. I absolutely adore the design of the M1 Garand, but would never own one because it's not going to do anything in moving me forward in life. .....................

If you only own things that will 'move you forward in life', you must have a very boring life.

Apparently you don't own ANY guns?

You have NO idea how much this sentence enrages me.

WHY??? What gives the police the authority to do so? No evidence that this guy has broken any laws whatsoever... but they're gonna record all the serial numbers anyway.

Ross, you aren't the only one. The really gets me going to.

Boy, sometimes I wonder what goes thru some peoples minds... then I get to see it written down. :(

Timber, I assume that the avatar you use is you in a class or match somewhere. Somebody could see that and draw a few conclusions from that without ever having seen or talked to you. Most people on this forum won't question that or add their 2 cents based on that picture or match results because at least you seem to know what you are doing. Still, does that picture show what your skill level or mental condition is? This is a shooting forum also and the final part of the statement you made was something that was better left unsaid. I have 12 Mosin Nagants - what do I have for issues? :)

Will IL give the guy back his guns? Probably, but not in the condition that they were in when they removed them. A couple will end up missing due to " procedure mistakes and storing " and some will just disappear and never to be seen again.

Joe R.

I am sure some will be "lost" and their disappearance will be blamed on the first robbery (not the 2nd robbery being performed by uniformed thugs).

Last edited:
Not trying to open a box of popcorn for you fellows, but maybe that's what's going to happen anyway.

Some people are carpenters. They drive nails for a living, or they did in the past. They tend to stick with a couple of good hammerss that they know they can drive nails with even in their sleep. They're always looking for a better nail driver, and they usually ditch the hammers that don't drive a nail as effectively as they'd like.

Other people are fixated on hammers. They collect them. For some bizarre reason, owning lots of hammers makes them feel like they're carpenters. It makes them feel strong, like they can accomplish stuff. They get all uppity on internet forums and talk about how they're going to go out there and build stuff with their hammers. Some of them even end up teaching building skills even though they've never actually used or mastered they're tools.

And when they run into a carpenter who knows how to run a hammer, they tend to keep their damn mouths shut. They don't say "Hi, I've read your posts and I'd like to compare skills." Or "I'd like to talk a little further about why you were critiquing my particulare choice of hammer."

Instead, they hide behind their keyboard, give neg reps, and try to defend their fixation with hammers, instead of learning how to become effective with that tool that makes them feel like a man.

The world needs people to develop better hammers and better nails as much as it needs carpenters, but it's the fellows inbetween who collect tools and can neither use them properly, not improve them, that drive me crazy.

In my limited experience, those are the kind of guys I was refering to.

Counterpoint.

Experienced mechanics end up with a whole crapload of tools because it gives them the flexibility to reach a bolt in any possible bizarre location the engineers could come up with. This analogy probably sucks but no less than yours.

I do get your point about guns being tools. However, there's nothing wrong with having a few old tools around for sentimental value even if they don't really get used to produce anythign anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom