Guy in NYC defended himself and called cops -- arrested for having gun - millionaire

Still our own worst enemy I see

Why the hate? Is it because he lives in an ultra-liberal city?

Does ones wealth preclude the right to self-preservation and protection? Is this guy forced to spend his money on 24hr security simply because a third party has determined he has enough money to pay for it?

We all live were we feel it is most advantageous to us personally. He is in THE center of commerce for the world, exactly where he wants to be. Should he be required to give up his security because he can afford to hire bodyguards? Or, is he not allowed to live where he chooses because he wants to keep himself safe?

This guy has a clear case of self-defense that, per Heller, is the crux of the 2nd Amendment and you guys are tossing him under the bus for being wealthy. Doesn't matter if the guy is rolling in money or riding his bike to collect cans, he has the God given right to defend himself, particularly true in his home.

Still our own worst enemy I see

Why the hate? Is it because he lives in an ultra-liberal city?

Does ones wealth preclude the right to self-preservation and protection? Is this guy forced to spend his money on 24hr security simply because a third party has determined he has enough money to pay for it?

We all live were we feel it is most advantageous to us personally. He is in THE center of commerce for the world, exactly where he wants to be. Should he be required to give up his security because he can afford to hire bodyguards? Or, is he not allowed to live where he chooses because he wants to keep himself safe?

This guy has a clear case of self-defense that, per Heller, is the crux of the 2nd Amendment and you guys are tossing him under the bus for being wealthy. Doesn't matter if the guy is rolling in money or riding his bike to collect cans, he has the God given right to defend himself, particularly true in his home.

I agree that bashing the rich is contradictory on a Forum where capitalism and free enterprise are expoused as being the only way. There is as much hatred of the wealthy here as there would be on a forum of Marxists IMO.

What I don't get about this guy, is that he had the financial resources to jump thru the hoops that are required to get a NYC License to Carry (whose requirement are different than the rest of the state BTW) and are excruciatingly complicated. What's more, because of his position he was virtually assured of getting what we would in Mass refer to as an unrestricted license. There are companies that will do all the "hoop jumping" i.e. waiting in line, filling out the forms going through the endless red tape for a fee. There is a whole cottage industry devoted to this www.pistolpermitsofny.com/Home (one of many examples). Even then, I am told the process takes about 6 months, so the issue should be viewed from a practical standpoint: why get yourself in a jam when you have the resources to avoid one? That's common sense.

Now some, like yourself, are getting all ideological. Sure he has a natural right to protect himself, and sure the laws in NYC and in NY in general suck, but he could have avoided the gun charge entirely a whole lot easier than most New Yorkers and that is the point that seems to be what you and a lot of others are not getting.

Do you have a Mass LTC or do you rely on your God given rights? I'm thinking you probably have an LTC [wink]...and if you do, why do you if you believe so much in your natural right of self-defense? From your perspective possessing any firearms license is hypocritical..no?

Let's agree to hate him when he gets off quietly with no criminal charges, which he likely will, because he's wealthy and likely very connected.

Or maybe something better happens. He takes a stand, perhaps because NYC decides to make a "we don't care how much money you have" example out of him. He says, f*ck you NYC. I have the right to defend myself and my property, and I have the money to keep this in court for years. Let's see how far this case can go.

some of you folks are starting to sound like the Occupy Weenies - 99% unite and all that.

He tried to defend his life and property with a constitutionally guaranteed practice - and was arrested for it. Rich poor, black, white, male, female, gay, straight, atheist or religious - this should outrage all of us.

the only thing that outrages me about this story is that a millionarie would want to continue to live in that dump NY. This is par for the course in NY.

maybe he wanted to stay off the .gov radar, unlike most of us with a safe full of killer assault weapons. .gov will be at our door sooner than would have been at his when the time comes to disarm the people.

The Curious Case of George Bardwil: How lawful self defense will get you arrested in NYC

There are some problems with this particular poster boy - he has a history of violence and domestic abuse, which make
him a prohibited person federally already.

CRAP. Nevermind my comments above.

the only thing that outrages me about this story is that a millionarie would want to continue to live in that dump NY. This is par for the course in NY.

It's not really all that surprising. If you're in the right business, NYC is the epicenter of money making. There are a lot of cities that suck, but they are excellent places for wealth generation. People make tradeoffs.

It's not really all that surprising. If you're in the right business, NYC is the epicenter of money making. There are a lot of cities that suck, but they are excellent places for wealth generation. People make tradeoffs.

Oh I understand, but this guy is not in wealth generation, he's in wealth preservation phase. He has already made his millions, time to get out of dodge. Maybe now he'll see that his liberal elitist surroundings are a veritable hell on Earth.

A person with the sort of wealth this guy has, should get zero sympathy. Yes NYC gun laws are restrictive, to say the least, but with his money and notoriety would have no problems obtaining the required permit. He will likely get off with a slap on the wrist and no record, due to his wealth, but the same could not be said for the average person in the same situation. Would be great if he joined the cause for 2nd Amendment Rights and help balance the playing field against the Bloomberg machine.

He probably voted for Bloomturd.

Oh I understand, but this guy is not in wealth generation, he's in wealth preservation phase. He has already made his millions, time to get out of dodge. Maybe now he'll see that his liberal elitist surroundings are a veritable hell on Earth.

Yeah it's hard to say. Maybe he likes theatre and good restaurants and splits his time between multiple homes.

I know that I can't relate to his life, and I would certainly get the hell out if I were in his shoes.

Re: Guy in NYC defended himself

My guess is that he never bothered getting a gun because he had personal security, gets driven everywhere (normal for NYC), and his building has security. This was probably a shtf 1 in 1 million probably never going to happen situation for him.

Re: Guy in NYC defended himself

NYC has a lot to offer if you're into particlar things. Some of the best museums, restaurants, performing arts, shopping, etc etc.

Also the center of the world when it comes ro finance. Even if you are in wealth preservation mode you either fly there or the finance nerds fly to you at least once a quarter or most likely once a month for updates amd straregy meetings.

Prime real estate has also proven to be a sound inveatment even through the real estate bubble, recession, european financial crisis, storms etc.

Yes, because the guy has enough money that he could have complied with the retarded gun laws with little or no hardship, so he gets zero sympathy when he has to endure the fallout of not even bothering to pay $430 to apply for a may-issue-if-you-donate-to-the-right-candidate license.

Usually when a rich guy gets away with breaking gun laws, it happens in a way that doesn't set any precendent for the rest of us, like how Scottie Pippen got Chicago to drop the gun charges, the rest of Chicago still had to wait a decade for things to change for the little guys.
he gets sympathy from me, dumb laws are dumb laws and everyone should ignore them

Back
Top Bottom