• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guy in NYC defended himself and called cops -- arrested for having gun - millionaire

His wealth will keep him from doing any time. Perhaps someone ought to capitalize on this and reach out to him- after all, he suffered the same date as any if us plebeians should expect.

Maybe this man who can afford the luxuries of a bodyguard and manhattan apartment can be a force to stand for those of us who can afford neither.

That said, I hate nyc

A person with the sort of wealth this guy has, should get zero sympathy. Yes NYC gun laws are restrictive, to say the least, but with his money and notoriety would have no problems obtaining the required permit. He will likely get off with a slap on the wrist and no record, due to his wealth, but the same could not be said for the average person in the same situation. Would be great if he joined the cause for 2nd Amendment Rights and help balance the playing field against the Bloomberg machine.

A person with the sort of wealth this guy has, should get zero sympathy. Yes NYC gun laws are restrictive, to say the least, but with his money and notoriety would have no problems obtaining the required permit. He will likely get off with a slap on the wrist and no record, due to his wealth, but the same could not be said for the average person in the same situation. Would be great if he joined the cause for 2nd Amendment Rights and help balance the playing field against the Bloomberg machine.
Best case scenario for all of us would be if he is getting away with a slap on the wrist. That court decision would be a gold mine for the pro 2a crowd.

Re: Guy in NYC defended himself -- arrested for having gun - millionaire

Wait. Just because the guy has money he gets zero sympathy when he has to endure the fallout of retarded gun laws?

I hope he gets away with it without a scratch. It'll help set precedent for everyone else who may not have the means to afford an all star legal team.

But wait its my bodyguards firearm, not mine!

If he only owned his own firearm he would be in the clear.

This ass did not want to tarnish his name by actually owning his own firearm or coming off to others as being pro-2a.

In his head he probably thought he could throw the bodyguard under the bus.

Last edited:
Wait. Just because the guy has money he gets zero sympathy when he has to endure the fallout of retarded gun laws? I hope he gets away with it without a scratch. It'll help set precedent for everyone else who may not have the means to afford an all star legal team.

Yes, because the guy has enough money that he could have complied with the retarded gun laws with little or no hardship, so he gets zero sympathy when he has to endure the fallout of not even bothering to pay $430 to apply for a may-issue-if-you-donate-to-the-right-candidate license.

Usually when a rich guy gets away with breaking gun laws, it happens in a way that doesn't set any precendent for the rest of us, like how Scottie Pippen got Chicago to drop the gun charges, the rest of Chicago still had to wait a decade for things to change for the little guys.

How can the gun be illegal??

We don't use that term any more - it was an "undocumented gun"

It sounds like the bodyguard loaned him the gun.... the bodyguard is probably going to get bent over as well.

Why live in NYC when you can afford to retire on a nice piece of land in Montana? If I had that kind of money, I'd move as far away as possible from people of any kind. Just me, a room full of guns, and 2 dogs. Damn, my girlfriend is going to be pissed when (if) she reads this.

Re: Guy in NYC defended himself - millionaire

So back the antis and get to carry while screwing everyone else is better than just getting a gun for home protection because you want to take your chances in court to defend a right. Got it. You sound a lot like my neighbor here in Boston who cries for stricter gun laws while he gets his license because he donates to the right people.

Not likely. Plaxico Burress got 2 years for carrying a gun in NYC and he's a millionaire as well. Unless he's a friend of Bloomturd; then there are different rules.

I have to disagree as there are huge differences between the two incidents. Burress was in a night club with a gun stuffed in his waistband. Bardwil was in a self-defense situation in is home protecting himself against a perceived threat to his life.

While we all would like to see no difference between the two, Burress was on very shaky ground relating to 2A. The story of Bardwil is more one of "Millionaire Arrested for Exercising Core 2A Activity."

This is a fight we should welcome. The accused in this incident has the means to mount a lengthy fight and a solid ground to stand on. My guess is that in the end, NYC makes this one go away quietly as there is nothing for them to gain in trying to make an example of this guy. They can only lose on this one.

Re: Guy in NYC defended himself

I have to disagree as there are huge differences between the two incidents. Burress was in a night club with a gun stuffed in his waistband. Bardwil was in a self-defense situation in is home protecting himself against a perceived threat to his life.

While we all would like to see no difference between the two, Burress was on very shaky ground relating to 2A. The story of Bardwil is more one of "Millionaire Arrested for Exercising Core 2A Activity."

This is a fight we should welcome. The accused in this incident has the means to mount a lengthy fight and a solid ground to stand on. My guess is that in the end, NYC makes this one go away quietly as there is nothing for them to gain in trying to make an example of this guy. They can only lose on this one.

Exactly. This guy deserves to walk away from this on principle. Hopefully his legal team kicks ass and gets a win. Moreover the headlines alone outline how ridiculous the situatuon is.

There are firms in NYC that will do all the licensing paperwork for you to get a permit. Last time I checked it cost about $2K (probably more now), but they do everything and do it right the first time. Getting a permit in NYC is even worse than getting one in Boston ! This guy could have easily afforded to do it with no problems. I'm guessing that he was playing the old "don't you know who I am game?" and it backfired. He probably gave political contributions to the wrong candidates the last time out or something like that, now it is going to cost him a lot more to buy his way out of this, which he ultimately will.

BG should have known better too.

Whether or not the incident should have even happened at all is moot. In a perfect world, it would have never happened, but it did but I am not too worried because he will get the finest justice money can buy, and even the rich can be stupid in their arrogance sometimes in thinking that laws only apply to the "little people"...most of the time they do, but sometimes they don't.

I hope the NRA files an Amicus brief and pushes this to get their laws thrown out. It would be a great send off for Douchberg right after his soda, stop & frisk, and MAIG are all getting axed.

What's the first rule about talking to police?

When police arrived to investigate the break-in, Bardwil told them exactly what happened and voluntarily showed them the surveillance tape. So police arrested him for possessing an illegal gun.

There are firms in NYC that will do all the licensing paperwork for you to get a permit. Last time I checked it cost about $2K (probably more now), but they do everything and do it right the first time. Getting a permit in NYC is even worse than getting one in Boston ! This guy could have easily afforded to do it with no problems. I'm guessing that he was playing the old "don't you know who I am game?" and it backfired. He probably gave political contributions to the wrong candidates the last time out or something like that, now it is going to cost him a lot more to buy his way out of this, which he ultimately will.

BG should have known better too.

Whether or not the incident should have even happened at all is moot. In a perfect world, it would have never happened, but it did but I am not too worried because he will get the finest justice money can buy, and even the rich can be stupid in their arrogance sometimes in thinking that laws only apply to the "little people"...most of the time they do, but sometimes they don't.

I think the process you are referring to is going through a personal security company. I have peoperty in NYC and had to go through the wringer to get any leeway because against a lot of advice from everyone I decided to apply and get accepted through the "normal" application process. Just like I did to get my Boston LTC. If you go through personal security things move along a lot faster.

I find the classism pretty disturbing. The guy is rich so screw him. He could've/should've paid his way to a license? Then if he were to have gotten preferential treatment because he paid the powers that be everyone here would be ripping him a new one for that. He can't win.

As it stands right now the bodyguard will probably lose his job and get an under the table payout he agrees to in order to take one for the team. Pretty standard in personal security. The guy who coached our family for gun drills at home was ex personal security who got a fat payout for doing this sort of thing. He retired at 42 and is coaching families in home security to pay for his summer home in Arizona.

Hopefully this turns out to be a win/win.

I dont like the fact the Police arrested this guy..he protected his castle. guess it would have been better if he was beaten or murdered by some POS...

- - - Updated - - -

He needs a few more Yorkies to protect him . . . [grin]

you can laugh at his dog choice(like I did) but it alerted him [laugh]

Obviously he was a supporter of citizens arming themselves but too much of a wimp to make his private beliefs public. I say public in the fact that he didn't go through NY state process of legally obtaining a firearm. Maybe he will now use his wealth to support a citizens right to arm themselves (or create some legal precedent to help bring down NY oppressive gun laws)

Guy in NYC defended himself and called cops -- arrested for having gun - mill...

Best case scenario for all of us would be if he is getting away with a slap on the wrist. That court decision would be a gold mine for the pro 2a crowd.

Like the reporter in DC who demonstrated the thirty round magazine.

What Happens When a Millionaire Mogul Uses a Gun to Defend Himself in New York? | TheBlaze.com

Millionaire mogul George Bardwil faces years in prison for using a firearm to scare away a home intruder in January.

Never call the cops .... see what good it does .. and IDIOT shows them evidence that they will use against him

I guess even idiots can become millionaires ...
Then he is a cheap bastard who did not want to pay for a license, unlike the rest of us. Look at it this way...drug-addled Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from Aerosmith managed to get NYC carry licenses. Same with Donald Trump, his son Donald Jr., Howard Stern, Alexis Stewart and many other celebrities. Hope he does his year, the cheap weasel!

Then he is a cheap bastard who did not want to pay for a license, unlike the rest of us. Look at it this way...drug-addled Steven Tyler and Joe Perry from Aerosmith managed to get NYC carry licenses. Same with Donald Trump, his son Donald Jr., Howard Stern, Alexis Stewart and many other celebrities. Hope he does his year, the cheap weasel!

Or maybe he didn't want to pay to exercise a constitutional right? Damn where did I put my license to post this? We really are our own worst enemies!

I just love how people talk about drawing lines, and at what point they will not comply with unlawful/unconstitutional legislation, yet once again jump all over someone because, in this case, 'has money'. Well either you do or you don't believe the 2nd Amendment means something. This guy was using a firearm, in his home, for self defense. Even the anti's tend to agree this is allowed. But he gets no sympathy because he could afford to pay to exercise a right and didn't? Seriously?

The only thing he is guilty of is not playing NYC's bullcrap games. He has my sympathy. The so called law he violated is unconstitutional, and therefore should not be valid. I know in reality it doesn't play out that way but I'm certainly not going to hold it against him.

Yes, I'm sure the reason he wasn't following this NYC law wasn't because he felt like on principle is was unconstitutional. It was probably because he figured, what the hell, if something happens I can probably get away with it. But that doesn't matter much. Even if it was for the wrong reasons, the point still remains. The law isn't really a law in the first place.

I just love how people talk about drawing lines, and at what point they will not comply with unlawful/unconstitutional legislation, yet once again jump all over someone because, in this case, 'has money'. Well either you do or you don't believe the 2nd Amendment means something. This guy was using a firearm, in his home, for self defense. Even the anti's tend to agree this is allowed. But he gets no sympathy because he could afford to pay to exercise a right and didn't? Seriously?

The only thing he is guilty of is not playing NYC's bullcrap games. He has my sympathy. The so called law he violated is unconstitutional, and therefore should not be valid. I know in reality it doesn't play out that way but I'm certainly not going to hold it against him.

Yes, I'm sure the reason he wasn't following this NYC law wasn't because he felt like on principle is was unconstitutional. It was probably because he figured, what the hell, if something happens I can probably get away with it. But that doesn't matter much. Even if it was for the wrong reasons, the point still remains. The law isn't really a law in the first place.

Agree. Hopefully it will shed light on the ridiculousness of the situation as well.

Maybe this is all a big setup. Maybe the millionaire wanted this to happen so he could get into the courts and fight this. He has the money for the legal team. Maybe its just a bunch of guys who are sick of the BS. Maybe they came up with an elaborate plan and an incredible defense so they can help the fight. Unlikely, but maybe

Back
Top Bottom