Gunsmith for shotguns in New England? Looking to remove vent rib

Hey all. I'm doing some research into options for a shotgun build. For reasons I won't get into, I may be able to have the perfect set up save for the vented rib on the barrel.

I'm looking to have it removed and I've read about a few guys online who do it, but I'd like to find someone local - and yes, I know I'll have to have it refinished, that won't be an issue.

So, anyone you can recommend who can remove the vent rib off a Remington barrel around these parts?

Thanks a lot!

Heh, I knew I'd get the "just replace it" response, which is why I tried to preempt it. Let's assume for the sake of argument it's the last shotgun barrel on Earth and you need to have the vent removed :).

And thanks, I'll give that guy a call.

I won't try to talk you out of it, but am really curious as to what the story behind this is!

No joke, I genuinely won't post it here because it will derail the thread. Sending you a PM. For all the curious out there, it's merely a personal taste thing with a model I like. That's it.

So, back to my original scenario- it's the last barrel on Earth. Only your gunsmith can save us all :)

Vent ribs are usually affixed to the barrel with soft solder. All it takes is some heat to break the bond. Get yourself a torch and have at it.

or you could just shoot it off

Back
Top Bottom