Guns on island ferrys ?

I will be working on the vineyard for a few weeks and have taken a few trips over there for meetings, and measurements, etc. The last time I was checking in at woods hole, after asking for my car pass and ticket, I was asked if I had any firearms. At the time I didn't, but when I go down for an extended period and stay in a Hotel I sure as hell will.

Does anyone know what the laws are, so I can possibly keep from being dragged out of line and frisked by the Massachusetts gustapo, or homeland security, or whoever?

Thanks

I don't think its laws so much as it is an agency regulation.

I've never been on the Steamship Authority boats, but I know the Maine State Ferry just required all firearms to be unloaded and secured whilst underway.

It's really convenient with the Steamship Authority ferry to Nantucket. When the masses of passengers are lining up to fit their carry on bags (many people go over without vehicles, as the ferry cost for a car transport is astronomical) into roll-away racks, a crew member picks up your bags and takes them to the bridge for the duration of the trip. Just be sure there is a gun in each piece of luggage so you get the special treatment for all of it.

Security on the fast ferry is tighter than it is on the slow ferry.

I dont usually travel on the ferry unless I have a vehicle so it is always the slow boat and I usually stay in my vehicle for most of the trip. Ive never had any problems.
Ive had my vehicle sniffed by K9 both on the boat and in the Hyannis parking lot and Ive had someone check the boxes in the back of my truck to make sure I didnt have anything dangerous in them.

Other than that , Pilgrim sums it up in his post.

Edit: Do not leave anything of value in your bag on the luggage carts. Dont put guns in cases on the luggage cart. Give them to the Purser. He will hold them in his office. If you bring a vehicle, lock it if you leave your vehicle. If you have a pick-up, dont leave anything of value in the bed that could be carried away.

Last edited:
I haven't looked into it, so I can't say for sure, but the MTSA (Maritime Transportation Security Act), which is one large piece of legislation, most likely addresses the issue. At least on the federal level. It's also likely addressed in the vessel's VSP (Vessel Security Plan) - which, being mandated by the MTSA, may actually make it a law or regulation issue versus a Steamship Authority policy. The Steamship Authority is also quasi-public, and I believe the laws and regulations concerning public transit apply to them to some extent.

In other words, I really don't know. If I take the boat instead of the plane, it's because I'm bringing a vehicle off or back on, and then I just stay in the vehicle anyways. The planes are easy, though, especially with Nantucket Shuttle. No fuss, no hassle, just declare it and hand over the luggage. And if you fly at the right times, they're cheaper than the Iyano-go or the Hy-Line.

Here is the relavent sections from the Steamship Authority. Yes you can carry, must follow procedure though. BUT this could be changed at any time by the terminal manager or the boat captain. So call ahead I guess would be the best option. Don't want to get stuck when following procedure and told that you can't carry on the trip due to heightened security.

In compliance with the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002, the following
policies have been developed and implemented to assure the security of the Authority’s
terminals and vessels and safe sailing for the Authority’s passengers and crews:

2.1 Firearms.
A person licensed to carry firearms in accordance with Mass. G.L. c. 140, § 129B,
or Mass. G.L. c. 140, § 131, shall be allowed to carry them on Steamship
Authority property and on board a Steamship Authority vessel in accordance with
the provisions and restrictions of his or her license, subject to the following
additional restrictions:
2.1.1 Persons carrying firearms must identify themselves.
(a) Immediately upon entering onto Steamship Authority property, the
person must identify himself or herself to the Terminal Manager
(or in the Terminal Manager’s absence, the Terminal Agent,
Assistant Agent or other Authority employee acting in that
capacity) and present his or her valid License to Carry Firearms or
Firearms Identification Card.
(b) Prior to boarding a Steamship Authority vessel, the person must
identify himself or herself to the Vessel Captain and Vessel
Security Officer (VSO) and present his or her valid License to
Carry Firearms or Firearms Identification Card.
2.1.2 Firearms must be unloaded and secured.
(a) If a person is licensed to carry a concealed firearm, he or she may
do so; provided, however, that the weapon must remain concealed
and unloaded at all times under the direct control of such person
and any ammunition is secured separately.
(b) All other persons carrying firearms must keep them unloaded and
in a secure closed case at all times with any ammunition secured
separately. If the person is traveling with a vehicle, the case
containing the firearm shall be kept in the vehicle, which must be
locked or attended at all times. If the person is traveling without a
vehicle, the person shall notify the Terminal Manager, Vessel
Captain and VSO, and make appropriate arrangements with the
VSO to secure the firearm while the vessel is underway. Rifles
and shotguns shall not be carried among passengers.
2.1.3 A person who has a firearm under his or her control shall neither consume
nor be under the influence of alcohol or any illegal drug while on
Steamship Authority property or on board any Steamship Authority vessel.

2.4 Terminal Agents May Impose Additional Restrictions.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, in his or her discretion, a Terminal Manager (or in
the Terminal Manager’s absence, the Terminal Agent, Assistant Agent or other
Authority employee acting in that capacity) may place additional restrictions on
any person carrying a firearm or another dangerous device on Steamship
Authority property, and/or may prohibit any person from carrying a firearm or
another dangerous device on Steamship Authority property altogether for good
cause shown. Good cause shall include, but not be limited to:
2.4.1 When the person is engaging in behavior that is threatening, intimidating,
or menacing or otherwise appears to incite a breach of the peace; or
2.4.2 When the person refuses to comply with the directions of terminal
employees; or
2.4.3 During times of heightened security (MARSEC Level 2 or MARSEC
Level 3).
2.5 Vessel Captains May Impose Additional Restrictions.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, in his or her discretion, a Vessel Captain may
place additional restrictions on any person carrying a firearm or another
dangerous device on board a Steamship Authority vessel, and/or may prohibit any
person from carrying a firearm or another dangerous device on board a Steamship
Authority vessel altogether at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cause you know someone is going to hijack a Vineyard Ferry! [laugh2]

So I give my ammo to the 19yo summer help on the ferry !? [frown]

Went to Nantucket in August on the Hispeed, no signs, no pat down.

just sayin

Went to Nantucket in August on the Hispeed, no signs, no pat down.

Yeah, but they do ask if two guys show up with 4 long gun case :)

I think the hull number on the plaque on the high speed Nantucket ferry I took was 357.

I have traveled across from woods hole to the Vineyard 4 times and have never been asked about firearms. I have carried concealed almost every time. the other times I have had the firearm locked securely in my vehicle. I have never gone over without my vehicle so I have never had to check my bags. If you are going over on foot carry your gun unloaded and put the ammo in a locked backpack and keep the bag with you. All items are under your direct control via MGL and ammo is separate per Steam Ship Authority. Then again it is no law so the worst that can happen is you are not allowed on unless you comply, it is not an arrestable offense to carry on board.

I have traveled across from woods hole to the Vineyard 4 times and have never been asked about firearms. I have carried concealed almost every time. the other times I have had the firearm locked securely in my vehicle. I have never gone over without my vehicle so I have never had to check my bags. If you are going over on foot carry your gun unloaded and put the ammo in a locked backpack and keep the bag with you. All items are under your direct control via MGL and ammo is separate per Steam Ship Authority. Then again it is no law so the worst that can happen is you are not allowed on unless you comply, it is not an arrestable offense to carry on board.

so stupid that if I am carrying in the ferry, that per policy, it must be unloaded and the ammo stored separately. Defeats the purpose of carrying a firearm. Ridiculous.

I can understand them having a policy for long guns and such that your transporting. But for your CCW I follow the old line of Concealed means Concealed. They don't need to know and I'm not going to tell them.

When I walked past the ferry terminal in Hyannis, I noticed signs which prohibited the carrying of any weapons aboard the ferry. Three women security guards with Garrett magnetometer wands were milling about but I didn't actually witness them "wanding" anyone, though.

so stupid that if I am carrying in the ferry, that per policy, it must be unloaded and the ammo stored separately. Defeats the purpose of carrying a firearm. Ridiculous.
The most stupid part is that they are actually encouraging more incidents by requiring folks with an LTC to unload their gun -- a holstered gun is a safe gun. Taking it out of your holster to unload at the origin, and then loading it at the destination is far more risky than just leaving it in the #$#@! holster.

Back
Top Bottom