guns going off by themselves

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
sounds like a coverup of some NG's. These things have firing pin safeties that won't let the FP move unless the trigger is pulled, and would prevent that sort of thing.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/13422568/detail.html

Quote:HOUSTON -- Hundreds of Houston police officers may be carrying weapons that could accidentally fire at any moment, KPRC Local 2 reported Thursday.

The Houston Police Department's Firearms Academy discovered the problem with the Smith and Wesson model 4003 and sent a warning memo to officers.

The gun potentially has a hidden problem that could cause it to discharge when someone engages the safety device after it has been cocked, the station reported.

The weapon may have developed a crack that is only visible if the gun is taken apart.

HPD sent out the following memo to hundreds of officers.

"Due to the serious nature of a potential accidental discharge by decocking the pistol in an unconventional manner, you are being notified."

"Officers have been asked to bring that weapon in for inspection. Specifically, some of the weapons have developed cracks in the frame and they wanted to make sure that's not the case with the majority of the weapons out there," said Sgt. Nate McDouell, an HPD spokesman. "Officers are allowed to carry a variety of weapons and this only represents a small portion of the weapons carried."

Police officials said that only eight or nine officers' guns have been found with the potential crack thus far. HPD headquarters told KPRC Local 2 that less than 150 officers carry that model and most have been checked.

"If there is a problem detected, Smith and Wesson has agreed to repair those weapons at no charge and officers are having those taken care of," McDouell said.

The model 4003 is a 40-caliber semi-automatic handgun, which is popular with newer officers and some specialized units on the force.

It IS possible for a DA/SA handgun to accidentally discharge when being decocked. There is usually a firing pin block that stops the falling hammer from striking the pin. That block must come up when the decock lever starts to move but before the hammer is released. If not: KB.

It IS possible for a DA/SA handgun to accidentally discharge when being decocked. There is usually a firing pin block that stops the falling hammer from striking the pin. That block must come up when the decock lever starts to move but before the hammer is released. If not: KB.

Precisely why one should not decock a pistol in that manner, put you thumb on the hammer and ride it slowly forward while keeping muzzle in a safe direction.

Some pistols have more than one safety involved in the decocking mechanism, eg, the
SigSauer P series pistols all have a safety intercept notch. The mechanism unloads the
hammer into this notch. The hammer never contacts the FP at any time. Lots of pistols
are set up this way. So in addition to the FP safety, there is also the notch, so there
are effectively two levels of mechanical safety. Both of them failing on a pistol which is
maintained to a reasonable standard would be highly improbable.

All that aside, muzzle discipline is more important when decocking than
anything else.

I don't bother riding a hammer down unless it is a gun that does not have a
decocker... and then there are guns which, IMO, should never be "decocked",
like a loaded M1911 type pistol.

-Mike

Just thought I'd throw this one in here...It's a great little link:

http://www.roughwheelers.com/montego/gun_cam.html

I found this on Four Seasons' website a while back...

Here's what it says:

For some time I had been wondering, "Do guns really cause crime? " I kept reading about "gun violence" and "gun deaths" and so many things blamed on guns.

Then, foreign-owned Smith & Wesson sold its soul* to Impeached President Bill Clinton & Co. and I decided to rid myself of anything I owned that was produced by that evil corporation. In my sock drawer, I found my once-trusty Model 19.

I was about to throw it in the recycle bin with my cans when a thought occurred to me- why not use it for testing purposes? I'll watch it and see if it causes any violence.

Well, a month passed and nothing, but of course, I had to sleep, use the bathroom, and go to work- it could have caused violence during any one of those times when I wasn't watching. So then I thought, what if I harness the Power of the Internet?

So, I pointed my camera at it so anyone connected to the Internet can now help me watch for signs of violence.

Of course, if anyone sees anything even remotely suspicious or out of the ordinary, please Email me at once.

I've always thought this site was great...Just goes to show that they don't go off by themselves.

Precisely why one should not decock a pistol in that manner, put you thumb on the hammer and ride it slowly forward while keeping muzzle in a safe direction.

Decockers are there for a reason and riding the hammer defeats it.

A gun with a decocker should be "safed" with the decocker while the muzzle is aimed in a safe direction.

Decockers are there for a reason and riding the hammer defeats it.

A gun with a decocker should be "safed" with the decocker while the muzzle is aimed in a safe direction.

I don't think Ripach is referring to defeating the decocker by pulling
the trigger and riding the hammer, but by riding it while you're using the decocker.
EG- Some people with HK USP pistols do this because they're
anal retentive and they don't like to hear the loud "CLACK" noise the hammer
makes when it whacks up against the hammer safety intercept when you
press the decocker.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom