Guns aren't only AR or AK

I was in my local gun store/hangout last week. Struck up a conversation with another patron. He started talking about AR's, and I mentioned I had no interest in them. So logically he assumed I preferred AK's and was dumbfounded when I said I didn't like those either. He had a hard time grasping the fact that a 29 year old white male did not want either of them. My father has a rifle, 2 carbines, and a 9mm carbine all on AR platforms. I don't mind shooting them but I have zero interest in buying one for myself. I've shot several AK style rifles and even owned one for a while, but I sold it because it does nothing for me.

I prefer guns with character. Interesting guns. Guns with a soul. I like my M1 Garand, M31 Suomi, VZ61 Skorpion, my old 1919A4. The 1911's. The Spanish Star Modelo B in 9mm Largo. Colt SAA clone in 44 mag. Hell, even my Henry lever action 22. They aren't all tack drivers. Some of mine have a hard time hitting the barn with me inside. But they are interesting. They aren't all high caps. Although the Suomi does have a couple of 72 round drums. Sometimes it feels like I am one of the only gun owners around who doesn't care about any of the newest tacticool crap I can hang off of 12 square feet of rail on the most badass AR the internet told me I had to have.

I can't even go to the so called "build it yourself" forums anymore. Buying an upper from company A, putting it on a lower from company B, and swapping out a stock and handguard from company MP is NOT building a gun. It seems like everybody wants to slap together some store bought assemblies and then seek validation from everyone else who slapped together store bought assemblies. Here's a message to all of those so called "builders": BUY SOME FILES. WELD. GRIND. BUILD.

I guess my point is, expand your gun horizons. There is nothing wrong with the designs from Stoner and Kalashnikov, but not every gun in your collection has to be designed to fight off 3 intruders, an invading army, or a horde of zombies. A French MAS 49/56 may not be what the operator magazines are bragging about but it's different and fun to shoot. A gun does not have to fill a specific purpose to have a place in your collection. It just has to be interesting.

You're closer to building an AR when you start with an 80% lower and finish it yourself. Even more so if you get it as a 'raw' lower and anodize it (or Cerakote it) yourself.

I've gotten to the point where I don't want a lot of rails on my rifles. A point to put a bipod (if I want one) at the end is good. Depending on what it's built to do, maybe a full top rail too. In NH, we can also build up AR pistols for more fun times.

I will agree that AR's (and AK's) are not for everyone. At least you shoot them (your father's) so you're not basing your opinion off of abstract info. I had a pair of Russian SKS rifles that I sold since I had zero interest in them. I like how modular the AR platform is. I can have one lower and a crap-ton of uppers for different tasks. You can also assemble them yourself with minimal tooling (and no welders).

I wouldn't mind having a nice lever action rifle at some point. Just for S&G's than anything else.

BTW, I had a shotgun last year. Took it to the range once or twice, fired it and decided it wasn't for me. It was a 12g Remingon 870. I sold it to someone that wanted it. So it's all good.

I agree although I love my Ar and aks. But I love old riffles with character, and that they arent made anymore and you have a piece of history.

I like the Garand action and the .223/5.56 round.... I also like mohawks and excessive gold chains.... so I had to get an AR by default./s

Love my AR, because i built it from an 80% and the concussion is awesome for all those around me lol

Love milsurps

Never shot an AK, but i'll have one very soon, just not sure which one, because any self respecting gun owner should own one.

I like the Garand action and the .223/5.56 round.... I also like mohawks and excessive gold chains.... so I had to get an AR by default./s

I figured you for a mini 14, given your description.

MrT_Gun-2.jpg

This thread deliverance.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I was in my local gun store/hangout last week. Struck up a conversation with another patron. He started talking about AR's, and I mentioned I had no interest in them. So logically he assumed I preferred AK's and was dumbfounded when I said I didn't like those either. He had a hard time grasping the fact that a 29 year old white male did not want either of them. My father has a rifle, 2 carbines, and a 9mm carbine all on AR platforms. I don't mind shooting them but I have zero interest in buying one for myself. I've shot several AK style rifles and even owned one for a while, but I sold it because it does nothing for me.

I prefer guns with character. Interesting guns. Guns with a soul. I like my M1 Garand, M31 Suomi, VZ61 Skorpion, my old 1919A4. The 1911's. The Spanish Star Modelo B in 9mm Largo. Colt SAA clone in 44 mag. Hell, even my Henry lever action 22. They aren't all tack drivers. Some of mine have a hard time hitting the barn with me inside. But they are interesting. They aren't all high caps. Although the Suomi does have a couple of 72 round drums. Sometimes it feels like I am one of the only gun owners around who doesn't care about any of the newest tacticool crap I can hang off of 12 square feet of rail on the most badass AR the internet told me I had to have.

I can't even go to the so called "build it yourself" forums anymore. Buying an upper from company A, putting it on a lower from company B, and swapping out a stock and handguard from company MP is NOT building a gun. It seems like everybody wants to slap together some store bought assemblies and then seek validation from everyone else who slapped together store bought assemblies. Here's a message to all of those so called "builders": BUY SOME FILES. WELD. GRIND. BUILD.

I guess my point is, expand your gun horizons. There is nothing wrong with the designs from Stoner and Kalashnikov, but not every gun in your collection has to be designed to fight off 3 intruders, an invading army, or a horde of zombies. A French MAS 49/56 may not be what the operator magazines are bragging about but it's different and fun to shoot. A gun does not have to fill a specific purpose to have a place in your collection. It just has to be interesting.

Thank you. Getting rid of all my ARs and AKs. Any other guns you don't like? Please respond ASAP.

I guess my point is, expand your gun horizons.

with all due respect, an AR or Ak could fill out a collection nicely. Avoiding two of the most prominent firearms of the 20th and into the 21st century might be considered "narrow mindedness"

Same thing happened to me at the grocery store. Talking to this guy and hes like coke is awesome, and I'm like, no interest, so he's like oh a Pepsi guy eh, and I'm like, nah Dr. Pepper has like 21 flavors.

I don't like spaghetti. I was at the store looking for pasta the other day and this was like

" Oh. spaghetti. "
" I don't like spaghetti. "
" oh, okay , then the Mac n cheese is over there. "

So I shoved him off with my support hand while drawing my Gyrojet , blading at 45 degrees.
He was all like " oh yeah ?"
And I was like : " yeah , man. You know it. "

Well , long story short , I made it home safe to my family that night. Thank God.

And had fettuccine. With pesto.

Back
Top Bottom