Guns and Hummers

I'm wondering if there will ever be a way to get my hands on a real surplus HMMV, not just the 'civilian' version that is being produced. It seems like in the past, military surplus vehicles ended up being sold to the public. Why aren't any used HMMV's showing up on the streets? It's been like 20 years since they started producing them, the early ones ought to be nearing the end of their useful lives, right?

I'm wondering if there will ever be a way to get my hands on a real surplus HMMV, not just the 'civilian' version that is being produced. It seems like in the past, military surplus vehicles ended up being sold to the public. Why aren't any used HMMV's showing up on the streets? It's been like 20 years since they started producing them, the early ones ought to be nearing the end of their useful lives, right?

The gubermint doesn't think those vehicles are safe and are typically cut up at the end of their useful cycle.

There were a few Marine ones that escaped that fate, but very few.

With Hummer as an actual brand, I think they prevented the sale of surplus equipment as a part of their contact to avoid market saturation with cheap hummers.

From http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_auctions_jeephmmwv.php3:
"Currently, DoD has a rebuild contract with the manufacturer to upgrade and refurbish used Humvees for further DoD use. Humvees that are not suitable for the rebuild program are little more than residue. The military version of the Humvee does not meet DoT safety standards and is not now sold."

(When I was in the Marines we'd drive them on the road all the time. Of course Marines are much smarter and more careful drivers than the general public.)[rofl]

DAMMIT ROSS!!!!

Stop stealing my lines!

[rofl]

Gotcha!!!

gotya.gif

Back
Top Bottom