Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just let me get the facts straight…

Last year, several gun related bills were proposed, and a number of hearings were held. Then complete silence for many many months. Nobody seems to have provided any information on what was being worked on, or how input from the hearings were taken into account or not.

Then suddenly, out of nowhere, as we get closer to the end of the legislative session, a “comprehensive” bill is announced! Because the legislative session is almost over, there is a great deal of urgency on this matter.

• Tuesday 5/27/2014, the bill is released.
  • Thursday 5/29/2014, announced that the hearing is scheduled 6/3/2014.
  • Tuesday 6/3/2014, one single public hearing is held. Motions to hold more hearings is immediately shut down.
  • Friday 6/7/2014, joint committee on public safety votes on the bill.

After months of silence, talk about suddenly rushing! How on earth is the average working citizen supposed to voice their opinion here? There is simply no time to properly react!

10 days between releasing the bill, having the hearing, and holding the joint committee vote? To ensure due process, isn’t there some minimum time lines between releasing bills, holding hearings and voting?

What happened to Government of the People, by the People, for the People??

I am truly disgusted with the Massachusetts legislature, and I will write (on paper/posted letter) to each of my elected "representatives" to express my disgust and let them know, in no uncertain terms, that they do not represent me.

Remember this in November, VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!

Last edited:
Unless your rep is on the committee they can't do anything about the committee voting to release it to the full house. They will also say that they can't "fix" this with amendments without it getting out of committee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If this passes the commitee, does it go for a house vote or to another committe for
"revisions".
I really think that they were surpised by the quickness and volume of the reponse.
So did it pass or not?
ggboy

Did anyone else around Worcester get a robo-call alerting them to H4121? It was a group called "Activate Worcester County" 978 733 0176.

The message was targeted at Naughton, and his shenanigans promoting this bill.

Did anyone else around Worcester get a robo-call alerting them to H4121? It was a group called "Activate Worcester County" 978 733 0176.

The message was targeted at Naughton, and his shenanigans promoting this bill.

My first guess would be Brad Wyatt.

So just let me get the facts straight…
The facts they may be, however they have no bearing on what's happening.
Last year, several gun related bills were proposed, and a number of hearings were held. Then complete silence for many many months. Nobody seems to have provided any information on what was being worked on, or how input from the hearings were taken into account or not.
Obviously the hearings were a sham from the start
Then suddenly, out of nowhere, as we get closer to the end of the legislative session, a “comprehensive” bill is announced! Because the legislative session is almost over, there is a great deal of urgency on this matter.
Standard playbook, manufacture urgency to advance the agenda.
After months of silence, talk about suddenly rushing! How on earth is the average working citizen supposed to voice their opinion here? There is simply no time to properly react!
Citizen opinions do not matter. Not giving them them to react is the whole point.
10 days between releasing the bill, having the hearing, and holding the joint committee vote? To ensure due process, isn’t there some minimum time lines between releasing bills, holding hearings and voting?
Not if it's an emergency.
What happened to Government of the People, by the People, for the People??
Long gone in MA.
I am truly disgusted with the Massachusetts legislature, and I will write (on paper/posted letter) to each of my elected "representatives" to express my disgust and let them know, in no uncertain terms, that they do not represent me.
Not that most of them care.
Remember this in November, VOTE THE BUMS OUT!!
IMNSHO the time to remember for this November is essentially passed. The time to remember is at least a year ago to get viable candidates going against "the bums". "The bums" will never get voted out without choices.

Where are the increased penalties for gun crimes? What deterrents have been put out that might make a criminal think twice about committing a crime with a firearm? None. Not one.

Where are the increased penalties for gun crimes? What deterrents have been put out that might make a criminal think twice about committing a crime with a firearm? None. Not one.

I forget where I heard this, but it was an interview with a criminologist and he was saying that deterrent isn't based on the severity of the punishment, but how likely getting punished was. In this state, we don't seem to actually convict anyone for gun crimes (unless the person has an LTC of course).

I forget where I heard this, but it was an interview with a criminologist and he was saying that deterrent isn't based on the severity of the punishment, but how likely getting punished was. In this state, we don't seem to actually convict anyone for gun crimes (unless the person has an LTC of course).

Someone said that at the hearing.

If that was to me:
a. It was a joke
b. She's a bit of a flaming racist. She'd draw a lot of red lines through a lot of good things if we let her.

Sorry, cekim. All thumbs on the smart phone. I did not mean to comment. [sad2]

The status was unchanged as of 10am. Still referred to the committee.
Can anything be read into this?

It's only Monday morning at 10:00am. They're probably just getting to breakfast now, and still have a round of golf and a tryst with that pretty young aide to get in before they make it to the office. I'd say look for something around 4:00 or so.

I was assuming that aides would take care of the web site update.
I forgot that the aides might have "other duties."

Me too. He never replies to my emails so I don't know where he stands on this bill. I called his office yesterday and no answer so I left a voice mail and stated my objection to this heinous bill.

Yup- I have called and emailed many times and asked for a call back. Nothing. I usually try to call once a week, at a minimum.

It's only Monday morning at 10:00am. They're probably just getting to breakfast now, and still have a round of golf and a tryst with that pretty young aide to get in before they make it to the office. I'd say look for something around 4:00 or so.

I thought they liked to take after US Reps, and use Monday and Friday as "travel" or district days, and basically just work 3 days every week. My money's on Tuesday at 11:00am, then it's off to an extended martini lunch.

Yup- I have called and emailed many times and asked for a call back. Nothing. I usually try to call once a week, at a minimum.
I just sent him another email this morning informing him of my previous email and phone call and I asked him where he stands on this bill. I stated I wanted a reply from him. We'll see.

This nonsense just reinforces my desire to escape this repressive state in 3-4 yrs. Unfortunately the GF says she's not leaving her house.

From GOAL

GOAL Exec. Director Jim Wallace just reported that H.4121 has been favorably voted on (released) by Public Safety & Homeland Security. Working on getting roll call now and where the bill go. Stay tuned.

From GOAL
GOAL Exec. Director Jim Wallace just reported that H.4121 has been favorably voted on (released) by Public Safety & Homeland Security. Working on getting roll call now and where the bill go. Stay tuned.

They add that it was favorable by ONE vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom