Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a committee hearing to recommend, or not recommend that the bill continue to the House and Senate for a vote.

Amendments can be drafted and added at that time.

Can be added tomorrow or after it is continued to the full house?

After.

And who knows... some dickheads that didn't get everything they wanted (like 1 gun per month), could introduce any related amendment they want.

It'll have to be debated and voted on separately, and if it passes, then it becomes part of the primary bill.

Thing is, introducing, debating and voting on proposed amendments just prolongs the process., and from whats been posted here earlier, DeLeo wants this over and done with ASAP.

I just spoke to an aid at Deleos office who said they ARE NOT VOTING tomorrow and there will be no saturday session.

DeLeo isn't on the committee, so technically the aid was telling the truth. [thinking]

Was he speaking about the whole House or just the committee though?

I think I may be confused a bit as to who is voting on what here [laugh] If it is the committee than we should be calling strictly those on the committee correct?? Sorry Mike If i'm confusing people.

I think I may be confused a bit as to who is voting on what here [laugh] If it is the committee than we should be calling strictly those on the committee correct?? Sorry Mike If i'm confusing people.

Yes, the committee needs to vote on it before it goes to the house. (Of course it won't hurt to call your reps too and tell them what you think of the games that are being played here.)

Mike s, I wrote down the #s from that linked doc and a bunch of them go to different committees/reps. How do I know if I am calling the correct people?

yea, a good portion of these are completely screwed up. I did get through to Morse, was told he "voted against it" which make me wonder if the vote is currently in progress or already done.

Yes, the committee needs to vote on it before it goes to the house. (Of course it won't hurt to call your reps too and tell them what you think of the games that are being played here.)

Ya, jesus, I was freaking out. Not that this isn't as slimy but I came booging in the house as soon as I read the email and thought the sky was falling. thanks for the correction.

Wouldn't that be up to the Committee, is DeLeo really in the loop so far as that goes?

This thread is like a bad rollercoaster.....
"omg there are so many anti-gunners at the hearing, they are filling seats, we're doomed!"
"There were a lot of good points made and anti-gunners were grilled with questions - we won!"
"OMG the bill is being voted on tomorrow!"
"wait no, thats not true...."
"statehouse inundated with calls - we're winning!"
"OMG, the bill is being released tomorrow!"
"wait, maybe not...."

[jihad]

We respond to them, they respond back to us, and so on. Hopefully, we can run out the clock, like in pro sports.

After.

And who knows... some dickheads that didn't get everything they wanted (like 1 gun per month), could introduce any related amendment they want.

It'll have to be debated and voted on separately, and if it passes, then it becomes part of the primary bill.

Thing is, introducing, debating and voting on proposed amendments just prolongs the process., and from whats been posted here earlier, DeLeo wants this over and done with ASAP.

Yeah, but our side can stick things in there also:
repeal AWB
repeal mag limits
Katrina bill language
remove discretion
anything goes really

It is all bargaining and negotiation, and I bet you dollars to donuts, it gets done in a back room or a bar room somewhere.

Ya, jesus, I was freaking out. Not that this isn't as slimy but I came booging in the house as soon as I read the email and thought the sky was falling. thanks for the correction.

Well, if the committee releases it with a favorable recommendation* the reps will use that as an excuse to vote for it. So the sky kind of is falling....

*EDIT: For the sake of clarity, there are other favorable recommendations besides "ought to pass." The only good one for us is "ought NOT to pass."

The Chair may accept a motion for referral from any committee member present at the executive session. Motions must take the form of one of the following recommendations:

1. Ought to pass – referred to House of Representatives for further consideration
  2. Ought to pass – referred to Senate for further consideration
  3. Ought to pass, as redrafted, - referred to House of Representatives for further consideration
  4. Ought to pass, as redrafted, - referred to Senate for further consideration
  5. Ought not to pass
  6. Study order
  7. Discharge to (insert committee)
  8. Hold/ No Action

Last edited:

This. Getting word that the votes are already in, Mike Moore is stating that, he's the only one saying that. Disregard that for now and keep the calls going.

Also, I updated the contact info sheet with district office contact info for everyone that has a district office. Call those numbers as well as many of them will not be in Boston over the weekend. http://goal.org/Documents/Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security.pdf

Sent an e-mail to all the committee members. So far only a response from David Vieira:

Thank you for your email. The bill is being polled by the committee this evening, and I just cast a NO vote for the recommendation of the committee.

Wow! 18:25 on a Friday evening and I just received a call back from an aide in Rep. Vieira's office to let me know that he is opposed to the bill and will "continue to support your Second Amendment rights"

She asked that I share this information with others in my "club".

His aid this afternoon said he's on our side !

Yes, when I visited him at the State House, both he and his Chief of Staff said they have LTCs and busted balls on another staffer who didn't have one.

His Chief of Staff took the picture of me in the Senate Chamber I use on my Avatar.

Wow! 18:25 on a Friday evening and I just received a call back from an aide in Rep. Vieira's office to let me know that he is opposed to the bill and will "continue to support your Second Amendment rights"

She asked that I share this information with others in my "club".
He was awesome on Tuesday: "You guys have been meeting for a year, I would have thought you'd have some facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom