Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having more hearings is an insult. MA isn't just the inside of 495, Naughton made the wrong call not having more hearings out west so residents there can have their say.

So will the House try anything like the NY Legislature did with a midnight emergency session vote?

Also with Naughton nuking more hearings for this bill is there anything else that can be done to get more hearings or is it past that point?

Naughton was quoted yesterday as saying he would check with House counsel to see if additional hearings were allowed or required, when I tried to follow up today the Committee's aide transferred me right to voice mail...so that's not a positive sign.

So the House can do whatever they want but it won't get through the Senate as written, that's been more than hinted at by Sen. Brewer, who holds the purse strings and is a pro-2A Democrat (or pro-hunter anyway).

As quoted by State House News Service yesterday,

"Or, in the words of Senate Ways and Means Chairman Stephen Brewer, the bill features 'slam dunks' and 'non-starters.'"

Brewer told a Naughton "listening" group recently that there'd be money in the budget for mental health programs, and that seems to be his emphasis - but I have no idea what his non-starters are.

Horse is out of the barn. Something will get passed. If it's all or nothing you want, prepare for the whole shebang of the badness.

Only hope is to chip away.

YMMV.

LOL! Well along with a couple Moms in that pic, they captured a group of STAUNCH Pro-2A folks. That is me at the top of the picture under the window in the blue shirt - Kill the Bill & GOAL patch - brown pants. In front of me is a member of the GOAL board, and great 2A folks all around.

LOL! Idiots!

Call all the committee members tomorrow folks, give them the works!

So will the House try anything like the NY Legislature did with a midnight emergency session vote?

Also with Naughton nuking more hearings for this bill is there anything else that can be done to get more hearings or is it past that point?

It is being "fast tracked". Someone is driving this. This needs to be derailed, NOW!

Naughton was quoted yesterday as saying he would check with House counsel to see if additional hearings were allowed or required, when I tried to follow up today the Committee's aide transferred me right to voice mail...so that's not a positive sign.

So the House can do whatever they want but it won't get through the Senate as written, that's been more than hinted at by Sen. Brewer, who holds the purse strings and is a pro-2A Democrat (or pro-hunter anyway).

As quoted by State House News Service yesterday,

"Or, in the words of Senate Ways and Means Chairman Stephen Brewer, the bill features 'slam dunks' and 'non-starters.'"

Brewer told a Naughton "listening" group recently that there'd be money in the budget for mental health programs, and that seems to be his emphasis - but I have no idea what his non-starters are.

Did you NOT read where I posted Naughton is fighting to have NO MORE MEETINGS OR HEARINGS? Go back and read it.

HERE! (click)

Last edited:
It is being "fast tracked". Someone is driving this. This needs to be derailed, NOW!

Did you NOT read where I posted Naughton is fighting to have NO MORE MEETINGS OR HEARINGS? Go back and read it.

I understand that completely. What I'm implying is that he needs to be held accountable for his speech - such as give me proof that he even brought it up with Counsel.

****ing eh right! we shouldn't budge on a anything...ITS A RIGHT !!!! don't forget that. Don't forget they a public servants. They work for us.
WE THE PEOPLE !!

Sarcasm, I hope?

Because as much as I hate/despise any compromise, we are in a very difficult situation here with little to no chance of coming out on top.

And no, it's not a defeatist attitude... it's ****ing reality.

I know it sucks, but that's what we're stuck with.

This isn't TX, GA, WV, MT, AZ, etc.

If we can at least get the more full retard stuff stripped out of the final legislation, I would consider that a victory in itself.

One way or another, this bill will pass... guaran-****ing-teed.

It's not going to die, or go away no matter how many phone calls or emails we send out.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't continue, but don't be surprised how it works out in the end.

Given a choice... I'd rather take it one rather than two or three knuckles deep

Last edited:

Translation: He'll have to check with Bobby to see if doing so will get him a basement office.

So, how does OUR SIDE get put on these SPEED DIAL plans? I guess the first and easiest step is to GIVE IT TO THEM. Just like other things with the press (or anyone else for that matter), doing the hard work and heavy lifting for them makes their lives easier. Hand them a printed list with people to call with expertise on the subject matter. I don't know who would go on that list, but you (Mike), Cekim, Rob Boudrie, Palladin, Eddie Coyle, Jason, and some others would be a great start.

This is in response to what again? I don't disagree with it, but am just wondering why in this case, at this time.

As for ADDITIONAL HEARINGS, I saw an article today that Naughton is pushing to have a vote on the bill THIS WEEK, to avoid that.

Naughty Naughton pushing this for a vote this week, wants no more hearings:

http://www.itemlive.com/news/deleo-...c-eb70-11e3-ac3b-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=story

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone inform them? (Not that it is anyone's job, but if "OUR SIDE" wants to organize, I would think this group would have their own section on the "MUST CALL LIST". So, who is keeping the list, anyhow?

Who's up for an "organizational meeting"? (hint:pass it on)

NSSF was there.

LOL! Well along with a couple Moms in that pic, they captured a group of STAUNCH Pro-2A folks. That is me at the top of the picture under the window in the blue shirt - Kill the Bill & GOAL patch - brown pants. In front of me is a member of the GOAL board, and great 2A folks all around.

I saw that posted on their Facebook page and got a good laugh out of it. Half of the people in the photo (left side, self included) are clearly wearing GOAL stickers and a few "Kill the Bill" pins.

Folks, I just received word from a good source that the Bill is out of committee and will likely be voted on this week.

I can't name my source here, and I was told this needed to be validated further, but that is the word in the State House.

Before anyone raises hell over this, can anyone help validate this with any of their Rep contacts?

Anyone confirm or deny?

This matters so we know if we should still be calling committee members or...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I called wrote and emailed. I expect bad things. This state is rules vy the same people who drive the speed limit or less in the left hand lane on the highway while not passing people and like the traffic.

Sent from my LT30p

Don't know when/how often they update this info but just did a bill search and here's what came up:
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/188/House/H4121

Actions for Bill H.4121

5/27/2014 House Referred to the committee on House Rules, reported, referred to the committee on Joint Rules, reported, rules suspended and referred to the committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security
5/27/2014 Senate Senate concurred
5/29/2014 Joint Hearing scheduled for 06/03/2014 from 12:00 PM-05:00 PM in Gardner Auditorium

How in the heck is Naughton "A" rated by GOAL?!?!

How in the heck is Naughton "A" rated by GOAL?!?!

The...only only thing I can hope for is that someone manages to push through a bill that looks 110% awesome to gun ban happy people, but manages to also be specifically designed to be a challengable scotus candidate.

In some ways, this one looks like it.

5years of more pain for the good chance that the whole messed up gun law construct in Ma gets tossed? Would someone like N be brave enough to try it?

Course, we may not have much choice.

Sent from my LT30p

I dont see how HB4121 could be challengable by scotus.
obviously IANAL.
In this respect, the only part that really grabbed my attention is state requiring residents to use federal means for in-state transfers of firearms. Seems like a state-level hijacking of the federal system to further the state's agenda....but hell if i know whether this violates some trade or federal law that scotus could examine,

The...only only thing I can hope for is that someone manages to push through a bill that looks 110% awesome to gun ban happy people, but manages to also be specifically designed to be a challengable scotus candidate.

In some ways, this one looks like it.

5years of more pain for the good chance that the whole messed up gun law construct in Ma gets tossed? Would someone like N be brave enough to try it?

Course, we may not have much choice.

Sent from my LT30p

SCOTUS seems to rule on very narrowly-focused & specific questions, I can't see a repeal of the entire bill. Even then, they legislate from the bench.

I dont see how HB4121 could be challengable by scotus.
obviously IANAL.
In this respect, the only part that really grabbed my attention is state requiring residents to use federal means for in-state transfers of firearms. Seems like a state-level hijacking of the federal system to further the state's agenda....but hell if i know whether this violates some trade or federal law that scotus could examine,
I am also NAL, but I get the impression that making the FID "may issue" would get them more exposure to federal court review than anything else in the bill. The existence of the "shall issue" FID is what they have always used to assert that the capricious LTC suitability powers don't violate 2A.

I am also NAL, but I get the impression that making the FID "may issue" would get them more exposure to federal court review than anything else in the bill. The existence of the "shall issue" FID is what they have always used to assert that the capricious LTC suitability powers don't violate 2A.

They may just being going all-in here. Heller and McDonald affirmed the right of an individual to own a handgun. You need an LTC to own a handgun.

he didn't squash them, just that it had to go before the committee to be decided

In this respect, the only part that really grabbed my attention is state requiring residents to use federal means for in-state transfers of firearms.

This isn't even fully specified, or vetted out in the bill. It just says "Dealer" and "Mircs" "blah blah blah, quack quack" more or less, everything else is a ball of grey vomit.

-Mike

They may just being going all-in here. Heller and McDonald affirmed the right of an individual to own a handgun. You need an LTC to own a handgun.

Or a permit to purchase, but good luck getting one.

I sent a quick little email to my rep, Linda Campbell, this morning. It was nice. I got an email regarding a lecture about Common Core in Sudbury on Monday evening. I can't go, but I forwarded it to her suggesting she go, since she voted to maintain CC. She should check out what this lecture is all about, and I added in these lines:

Oh, and my opinion hasn't changed about the proposed gun legislation. DeLeo's plan does NOTHING to stop "gun crime". It only further restricts those of us who respect the rule of law.

I have written to her several times before regarding gun legislation, starting well before the Sandy Hook push.

I'll give her this. Every time my wife or I write to her, she does respond personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom