Gun Violence report in the hands of DeLeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeLeo is pushing it hard. Patrick wants his own stamp on it but is willing to sign whatever comes to him. DeLeo feels making the suitability standard more codified and less open to interpretation by individual chiefs and eliminating B licenses he is giving a compromise to gun owners. He compromised with the AG's office to let her have say on what goes onto the EOPS list. He compromised with MassChiefs.org by letting them keep restrictions and defining suitability. He feels he has the votes in both houses and is pushing it to pass before too much splashes back onto his wingtips.

I realize the NES consensus doesn't mean anything but it sounded to me like after Tuesdays hearing, most people here seemed cautiously optimistic that while something will surely be passed, at the very least the most vile components of this turd of a bill would be dropped. Have the winds of change shifted yet again?

I realize the NES consensus doesn't mean anything but it sounded to me like after Tuesdays hearing, most people here seemed cautiously optimistic that while something will surely be passed, at the very least the most vile components of this turd of a bill would be dropped. Have the winds of change shifted yet again?

I'm optimistic that some legislators will try to get the worst parts dropped, but I'm less confident that they will actually be successful. If nothing in the bill gets changed and it's passed as-is, then I will probably abandon any future attempts at influencing the legislative process. Through phone calls, letters, and testimony at Tuesday's hearing we have given them a multitude of reasons why the current bill is a pile of garbage. If they completely ignore that and pass the bill anyways then we'll know just how much they value our input.

I believe the Wind we heard was mainly from Linksys mouth/ass (theyre in the same location). Lots of hypothetical what_ifs etc. I dont things change except for the fact they were baffled by the logical argumentsnfrom our side. They are so used tonfeeding the sheeple and getting non questions or push back.

Sent from the blind

mlaboss, they care about 2 things: If it will affect their re-election and how thick the envelope under the desk is.
They are none-to-shy about the accumulation of power too...

I smell a challenge to DeLeo afoot here. I wish I could be optimistic as any and all moves that spread power out of the hands of single politicians is "better than the alternative", but the problem is that this state is clinically insane WRT their understanding of guns, Due Process and Civil Rights.

The panel was genuinely surprised and confused when Jim Wallace tried to explain the concept of "adjudicating people prohibited", vs making us prove we are suitable.

This should not require explanation to any adult, less so a legislator and even less so a lawyer - which many of them are

They appeared to be honestly engaged in trying to understand how we could make this work? Would there be some person who made a judgement? Would they have some sort of room with wood paneling? A sort "process" maybe some Constitutional protections? What criteria would they use?

My head still hurts from the facepalming...

Just emailed my rep again, and hammered home, the ridiculousness of this poorly written bill. I didn't bother with snail-mail as it may be too late for that. I'm not giving up that easily! I'll fight it to the end!!!

Just spoke with my Rep Betty Poirier (R) North Attleboro -

#1 - The Bill is still in Committee. There is a large push from DeLeo to get this voted on sooner that later. This has caused significant debate, as many D's do not want to be forced into a "bad" vote. The response from us has been overwhelming to many Reps, and several are not interested in taking a slammed through vote right now.

#2 - The entire R delegation is opposed and fighting this - George Peterson has been leading the charge all over the State House.

#3 - Suitability vs Prohibited Persons and Private Transfers has been prominent in the debate amongst Reps.

Bottom line - Betty felt our response has been both HIGHLY justified and has created a a lot of anxiety amongst those supporting the Bill. Her best advice - keep it up, email and call your Reps & Senators 2-3 times, call the committee members, don't let off the pressure. The R's have been using our large response and voter irritation to their advantage.

(Just on a side note for bow hunters - Betty asked if I heard about the passage of Matt Beaton's Bow Hunting Bill - passed late last evening. It will allow for Bow Hunting of Deer on Sundays.)

Been calling everyone on the committee and local to me. Best call to Rep. Silvia. He answered himself and before anything said "you are calling about the gun safety bill". Then proceeded to tell me that there is no way this can come up for a vote as there is nobody supporting it! Guys this might actually be working!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just spoke with my Rep Betty Poirier (R) North Attleboro -

#1 - The Bill is still in Committee. There is a large push from DeLeo to get this voted on sooner that later. This has caused significant debate, as many D's do not want to be forced into a "bad" vote. The response from us has been overwhelming to many Reps, and several are not interested in taking a slammed through vote right now.

#2 - The entire R delegation is opposed and fighting this - George Peterson has been leading the charge all over the State House.

#3 - Suitability vs Prohibited Persons and Private Transfers has been prominent in the debate amongst Reps.

Bottom line - Betty felt our response has been both HIGHLY justified and has created a a lot of anxiety amongst those supporting the Bill. Her best advice - keep it up, email and call your Reps & Senators 2-3 times, call the committee members, don't let off the pressure. The R's have been using our large response and voter irritation to their advantage.

(Just on a side note for bow hunters - Betty asked if I heard about the passage of Matt Beaton's Bow Hunting Bill - passed late last evening. It will allow for Bow Hunting of Deer on Sundays.)

good feedback, thanks

I get the strong feeling that if they ACTUALLY worked with GOAL, they could relatively quickly hammer out the bill that they politically need to pass. I don't care about all the suicide stuff, or even the school safety stuff, and if they want to legislate the federal database stuff, that's fine too.

I honestly wish they would de-entangle the AG regs as part of this legislation (essentially nullifying any separate AG regs and prohibiting separate laws in the future), I think that could solve a lot of issues firearms owners have in this state and would actually be constructive.

Been calling everyone on the committee and local to me. Best call to Rep. Silvia. He answered himself and before anything said "you are calling about the gun safety bill". Then proceeded to tell me that there is no way this can come up for a vote as there is nobody supporting it! Guys this might actually be working!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

341x396px-2dbc4dcf_serious.jpeg

I get the strong feeling that if they ACTUALLY worked with GOAL, they could relatively quickly hammer out the bill that they politically need to pass. I don't care about all the suicide stuff, or even the school safety stuff, and if they want to legislate the federal database stuff, that's fine too.

I honestly wish they would de-entangle the AG regs as part of this legislation (essentially nullifying any separate AG regs and prohibiting separate laws in the future), I think that could solve a lot of issues firearms owners have in this state and would actually be constructive.

Yes, if they had actually addressed the handgun compliance issue the correct way (i.e. prohibiting the AG from using consumer protection laws to regulate handgun sales), then that would have garnered some support for the bill. Instead they did the exact opposite of the right thing.

I am still hopeful it will not pass as written. Most of the people that are for the bill seem to not even know what is in it (other than "it is very comprehensive gun control").

If it does pass, other than the usual idle political threats to the reps via email about not voting for them, maybe we can target a select few that are up for reelection and throw money and time behind their opponents. We will never overturn the system all at once, but maybe go after one or two politically at reelection time (and not just on the gun issue, but any other issue that may appeal more to the general public). I have to think if there were 50 people standing outside of a town hall with signs at voting time in any given town, people would take notice. Most people are not aware of most of the issues anyway...

I am still hopeful it will not pass as written. Most of the people that are for the bill seem to not even know what is in it (other than "it is very comprehensive gun control").

I really hope all the testimony convinced them that this cannot pass as-is, there are significant structural defects with the bill, I really think that came across at the hearing. I just hope there's time and the real political will to amend the bill.

Don't forget about the other horrible parts of the bill too - like an AG's large capacity rifle/shotgun roster.

I will have to look up Beaton's bow hunting bill, that sounds great!

Oh and feel free to email them this as well

http://www.concealednation.org/2014/05/the-recent-mall-shooting-that-you-wont-hear-about/

http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=229067

According to witnesses, Qandil approached the party and told them that he had a gun. He then raised his shirt to display a firearm tucked into his waistband. When he went to reach for his firearm, both Herrera and O’Connor, who are licensed to carry a concealed firearm in their state, drew their firearms and fired at Qandil.

Last edited:

If it does pass, other than the usual idle political threats to the reps via email about not voting for them, maybe we can target a select few that are up for reelection and throw money and time behind their opponents. We will never overturn the system all at once, but maybe go after one or two politically at reelection time (and not just on the gun issue, but any other issue that may appeal more to the general public). I have to think if there were 50 people standing outside of a town hall with signs at voting time in any given town, people would take notice. Most people are not aware of most of the issues anyway...

Forget the signs. We are long overdue for buckets of tar and bags of feathers

Just after that guy at the hearings told the ten or so examples of ways to get a 1yr misdemeanor, I heard Linsky appeal to the panel not to throw out the hole bill "we can correct some of these possible problems" . I had a good feeling this might be in trouble. I hope ! The dope had a year of hearings to get his side across, after that testimony he crapped himself.

Response from my Rep to my e-mail today:

Hi Bill,
I am with you 100% on this terrible bill. I'll be filing amendments to water it down and ultimately working to kill the bill. As you noted, Deleo is very much invested in this, he even put his name on as the sponsor so that means he's determined to twist the majority party's arms to get this done.

I'll be working hard on this.

Thanks for writing!
Marc

Response from my Rep to my e-mail today:

Hi Bill,
I am with you 100% on this terrible bill. I'll be filing amendments to water it down and ultimately working to kill the bill. As you noted, Deleo is very much invested in this, he even put his name on as the sponsor so that means he's determined to twist the majority party's arms to get this done.

I'll be working hard on this.

Thanks for writing!
Marc

Is this Marc Lombardo?

This x100
If we focus an effort, we might be able to make the rest squirm.
Naughton would be perfect.
If just the people on this forum alone put a focused effort on him it would be a huge kick in the ass.
Him especially, D-bags like Linsky are always going to be d-bags. What you see is what you get.
But Naughton is two faced as f*ck all based on this mess.
He's one to make an example of.
If nothing else we can make him spend a hell of a lot more to get re-elected than he wanted to.
I'll volunteer to help out whoever is in his district, stuff envelopes, make calls, write letters, whatever needs to be done.
That and the fact that he's worn the uniform and sworn the oath like men like my Father and Grandfather yet violates it like it doesn't mean shit, infuriates me beyond words

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom