Gun Transfer Question

So I went to the LGS to do a private transfer of a S&W BG380 to a friend. Here's what happened:
-Friend filled out the application
-Dealer took the gun from me
-Friend had to leave before the approval came through
-Dealer let the new owner know when the approval came in and she picked it up an hour later

My question is, what if the application had been denied while the dealer had possession of the firearm? He told me he has to hold it and cannot give it to someone he hasn't been approved to give it to. Based on that, I would assume I would have to go through another background check to get my gun back?

Everything worked out, so it is not an issue. This was my first private transfer, so I don't know protocol. I just wanted to get feedback.

Thanks.

Pretty much what you said, yeah. When the transfer goes through a dealer, they take possession of it, enter it in their bound book (or electronic version thereof), then transfer it to whoever is getting it. They couldn't just hand it back to you once it's on their books.

I see that you're in Southwest NH. Based upon my understanding of NH law (IANAL), private transfers there are perfectly legal as long as you know the person or they have a carry permit. That might have been the easier way to do things.

Thanks for the reply. I figured that was the case. And although it was a "Friend" it wasn't a close enough friend that I felt comfortable with a private transfer.

Back
Top Bottom