• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun stores and locks.

What happens if you drive a wagon, hatch, suv, or truck since there is not separate trunk?

In addition to these vehicles, you should use a locked container if you have a sedan or coupe that allows easy access to the trunk through a fold-down rear seat cushion.

That's what I figured. Now my question is, is this actually codified in law somewhere, or is it EOPSS' opinion/de facto because cops statewide will enforce the law like that? And/or is there caselaw specifically stating that an unattended vehicle is not, in and of itself, a locked, secure container?

Current administrative interpretation. It's not addressed directly by statute, and I'm not aware of any case law.

What happens if you drive a wagon, hatch, suv, or truck since there is not separate trunk?

"...contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container."

It's simple enough to set in an anchor in the back to attach a case to.

It's not required to be anchored.

Beware... FS makes you BUY one if you forget to bring one... word to the wise.
Most other places I've purchased throw in a cheap freebie.

FWIW, if you just want a cheap lock to bring to the store with you, a lot of police departments have free cable locks as part of that whole Project Childsafe program. My PD has had boxes with dozens of them lying around at the walk-up window for years.

Beware... FS makes you BUY one if you forget to bring one... word to the wise. Most other places I've purchased throw in a cheap freebie.
FWIW, if you just want a cheap lock to bring to the store with you,

The state has issued an opinion that a lock brought by the buyer does NOT meet the requirements of the law, even if it a compliant model, so any shop that allows you to "bring your own lock" *(except for guns that are not required to be sold with a lock) is not in compliance with MGL.

It's not required to be anchored.
Correct, but if their back compartment is like mine, breaking a window and stealing a non anchored container is a cake walk. Anchor the container, and guarantee to bog them down for a few minutes, or get them to give up in total.
Not legal mandate, just practicality.

Back
Top Bottom