Gun stores and locks.

When you head in to your average shop (I'm hoping to get to FS soon) should you expect that you're going to be dropping cash on a new trigger lock, even if you bring your own?

When you head in to your average shop (I'm hoping to get to FS soon) should you expect that you're going to be dropping cash on a new trigger lock, even if you bring your own?

This isn't consistently applied in any gun shop in the state. Worst case, expect to be spending $3-5 for a lock you're going to throw away.

-Mike

Ok, thanks. I shelled out for a nice one, and don't see the need to double lock a stored weapon.

I'm hoping to pick up a Moss 500 from FS this weekend.

Ok, thanks. I shelled out for a nice one, and don't see the need to double lock a stored weapon.

I picked up a rifle there in the past few months, forgot to bring a lock with me and they made me buy one. So now I keep that one in my car at all times, as you never know when you might come across a good deal while you are out browsing.

For long guns they do not need to sell you a lock though most any new firearm will include one. If buying a long gun, I would recomend getting a case to transport it in.

I bought a C&R from FS awhile back. Forgot to bring a gunlock and I had to buy one. Cost me $9.

One of the two times I bought a handgun from a dealer, a lock wasn't even mentioned, nevermind offered or required.

When I bought my Ruger 22/45 from the Gun Room, they drilled a hole in the case, and locked it for me with the Ruger-supplied padlock, and then handed me the keys and the locked case.

One of the two times I bought a handgun from a dealer, a lock wasn't even mentioned, nevermind offered or required.

When I bought my Ruger 22/45 from the Gun Room, they drilled a hole in the case, and locked it for me with the Ruger-supplied padlock, and then handed me the keys and the locked case.

Ah that's pretty cool. Ruger supplied a lock with my 10/22, but I bought a pretty decent trigger lock, figured that plus my hard case and I'm good to go.

I was looking through the mgl but couldn't actually find a specific lock law other than a weapon must be locked/ secured at all times unless currently being used.

Thanks. Time to keep a cheapo lock in the car just in case.

The last few handguns I bought from FS I brought a lockable hard case though a cable lock was provided with each of the pistols that I bought.

My experience has depended on the store. Collector's has always made me buy a lock, FS is inconsistent, and at my favorite it isn't even mentioned.

Same here...most guns come with locks nowadays....so they shouldn't be making you buy one. My favorite place would never make me buy one.

If the pistol is a CCW and you thought ahead of time and got a holster, you just conceal carry it out anyway.....no locks needed.

Hicap long guns I'd just bring a lockable case......

Beware... FS makes you BUY one if you forget to bring one... word to the wise.
Most other places I've purchased throw in a cheap freebie.

Last edited:
If the pistol is a CCW and you thought ahead of time and got a holster, you just conceal carry it out anyway.....no locks needed.

Hicap long guns I'd just bring a lockable case......

IIRC, the law still requires that the sale include a lock. It doesn't matter whether you actually have to lock it up on your way out the door or not.

If the gun comes with a lock FS will use that one. At least they have for me. Other shops I've bought from just hand me my gun without a lock. You should not need a lock if you are unrestricted. But if you are restricted you better have a locked case for handguns.

Everyone uses the cases that pistols come in to lock their stuff up, but they're such a joke to get in to. I got one of those big lockable winchester cases for the AK, I need to get a smaller one for my pistol. I have a little pistol safe for the car, but I'd like to have a better setup for home.

The locks they sell are such a joke. I got an action lock for the AK (I know I know, Im paranoid, leave me alone) and its like...I could cut it with a pair of scissors.

I don't even like the car pistol safe I got from FS. The wire is so tiny. Honestly for something I was going to keep in my car I really wouldn't mind having something that might actually deter someone, rather than just having it to comply with the law.

Everyone uses the cases that pistols come in to lock their stuff up, but they're such a joke to get in to.

I used to keep my Ruger locked in it's case (with the lock through the whole the Gun Room drilled in it). I forgot that particular key when going to the range one day, I literally just ripped the lock through the case.

Where does the law state that a long gun has to have a trigger lock to be transported?
Am I missing something here?

It doesn't. In fact, trigger/action locks do not meet any of the transportation requirements.

Instead, the requirement is for firearms (handguns) and large capacity long arms to be sold with a trigger/action lock.

It doesn't. In fact, trigger/action locks do not meet any of the transportation requirements.

Instead, the requirement is for firearms (handguns) and large capacity long arms to be sold with a trigger/action lock.

I just bought an MP 15 22 a month ago and no lock came with it.

Where does the law state that a long gun has to have a trigger lock to be transported?
Am I missing something here?
Ok, regarding to a weapon being sold with a lock, Ch. 140, Section 131K states that a lock must be included, does not make a requirement that the lock must be sold, and does not say the lock cannot be supplied by the purchaser. Unless I read that wrong.

Specifcally regarding transport you look in Chapter 140, Section 131C, it states that a high-cap rifle or shotgun has to be in a locked container or locked trunk. It does not say anything regarding a low-capacity weapon, anyone with practical knowledge on the demarcation and actual enforcement?

Ok, regarding to a weapon being sold with a lock, Ch. 140, Section 131K states that a lock must be included, does not make a requirement that the lock must be sold, and does not say the lock cannot be supplied by the purchaser. Unless I read that wrong.

From my reading, either the manufacturer, distributor or dealer must supply the "safety device":
Any entity responsible for the manufacture, importation or sale as an inventory item or consumer good, both as defined in section 9-102 of chapter 106, of such a weapon that does not include or incorporate such a device shall be individually and jointly liable to any person who sustains personal injury or property damage resulting from the failure to include or incorporate such a device.

Specifcally regarding transport you look in Chapter 140, Section 131C, it states that a high-cap rifle or shotgun has to be in a locked container or locked trunk. It does not say anything regarding a low-capacity weapon, anyone with practical knowledge on the demarcation and actual enforcement?

Non-large capacity long arms must simply be unloaded.

Back
Top Bottom