Gun show purchase

There's literally nothing magical about a gun show that makes it ok to ignore state and federal laws. Nothing. Thus the "gun show loophole" is a myth, it doesn't exist - there's nothing different about buying a gun at a show vs anywhere else.

I think the anti's point is that a lot of people gather there and a LOT of deals are done without background checks, the name is just catchy. Personally, I would NEVER sell a functioning weapon to someone FTF that I didn't know, the legal costs if some rando goes on a killing or robbery spree would bankrupt the average person. Paying the $25 FFL costs is a cheap cost for piece of mind selling to a rando in a "free" state.

it is what they call a loophole - the whole concept of direct P2P transactions. as think of it - what else of true value are you allowed just to trade directly, as p2p?

cars, houses - all needs to be licensed and taxed afterwards - a big man always wants his cut.

The anti's look at it like the streets are running red with unlicensed guns being collected by murderers enabled by loopholes, the gov looks at loopholes as lost revenue that needs to be reigned in.

that I didn't know, the legal costs if some rando goes on a
all the deals on midwest are FTF with the bill on sale on a napkin. it is how i got my first AR. it is just a way of life, no one thinks of that as of anything different than buying, say, a lawnmower.
as why it needs to be any different?

as of antis etc - the antis are only a tool for the government to get what it wants - its own monopoly on the trade, or at least a cut from an every transaction made. it all always boils down to the money.

all the deals on midwest are FTF with the bill on sale on a napkin. it is how i got my first AR. it is just a way of life, no one thinks of that as of anything different than buying, say, a lawnmower.
as why it needs to be any different?

as of antis etc - the antis are only a tool for the government to get what it wants - its own monopoly on the trade, or at least a cut from an every transaction made. it all always boils down to the money.

I get that, but I just don't trust random people I don't know enough to hand them a gun.

Like I said, that's just me.

For example, if you move to MA and bring 100 guns - no guns would show up in the system as no transactions had happened.
That I understand but that's not the same as if you buy from a MA dealer or do FTF?

I guess what I'm not getting is that say some authority figure runs my LTC number, what exactly is going to come back?

Have there been any court cases where the FA-10 system was brought up? It's so incredibly unreliable that I can't imagine a prosecutor trying to make a case hinged on it but I'm curious. @CrackPot @nstassel @Knuckle Dragger @Len-2A Training
I don't track court cases. MA court case data is a paid ($$$) subscription service. That said, I doubt that the FA-10 system is really used in prosecutions. However, the case I testified at, the ADA tried to make hay by questioning me on "don't ALL guns have to be registered" . . . the defendant had moved to MA from ME, but I have no idea when/where he acquired the rifle.

That I understand but that's not the same as if you buy from a MA dealer or do FTF?

I guess what I'm not getting is that say some authority figure runs my LTC number, what exactly is going to come back?
Just a list of S/Ns, no mfr or other info unless they click on the S/N . . . one by one!

I think the anti's point is that a lot of people gather there and a LOT of deals are done without background checks, the name is just catchy. Personally, I would NEVER sell a functioning weapon to someone FTF that I didn't know, the legal costs if some rando goes on a killing or robbery spree would bankrupt the average person. Paying the $25 FFL costs is a cheap cost for piece of mind selling to a rando in a "free" state.
That is all MA pant sh*tting and Hollywood BS from all their sh*t cop shows.

Thousands of guns are sold every week FTF without background checks in other States.

Some of those guns end up with criminals, maybe they get stolen from the house of the new owner or months or years later the new owner goes crazy and commits a crime. You don't hear of the original owner getting arrested over that.

If you are paranoid you can easily keep a record of the sale by saving the Emails / text messages.

Have there been any court cases where the FA-10 system was brought up? It's so incredibly unreliable that I can't imagine a prosecutor trying to make a case hinged on it but I'm curious. @CrackPot @nstassel @Knuckle Dragger @Len-2A Training
I recently saw a charge where a guy was given some guns by a police department after an acquaintance died. He was charged with not filing for them along with some very serious unrelated charges. This offense was dismissed on court costs.

The Massachusetts FA-10 system has no real purpose other than to make life more difficult for law-abiding gun owners, as is true of most (all) of MA gun laws.

Last edited:
That is all MA pant sh*tting and Hollywood BS from all their sh*t cop shows.

Thousands of guns are sold every week FTF without background checks in other States.

Some of those guns end up with criminals, maybe they get stolen from the house of the new owner or months or years later the new owner goes crazy and commits a crime. You don't hear of the original owner getting arrested over that.

If you are paranoid you can easily keep a record of the sale by saving the Emails / text messages.

I get that, it's just a personal choice that I would make.. Besides, if I sold any guns the ones I have one of my buddies would buy it so I would never have to sell it to some rastafarian rando at a gunshow :) It's not like I have a collection of cheap junk disposable guns where the only way to get rid of them is at a gunshow FTF to some rube who doesn't know any better lol

I recently saw a charge where a guy was given some guns by a police department after an acquaintance died. He was charged with not filing for them along with some very serious unrelated charges. This offense was dismissed on court costs.
Did the local PD go back and check to see if he filed the forms for the guns? Or did that come up when they looked into the other charges?

It's still statistically insignificant.

Even the ATF will tell you only a tiny sliver of crime gun traces go to private sales. The overwhelming majority of traces go to straw purchases and then the next biggest chunk is stolen guns.

ETA: btw using an FFL will not shield you from liability. Although it might give you better chances in civil court, but you wouldn't be going there unless you had big 7 figure + net worth anyways. (Ambulance chasers don't usually try to get blood from stones)

nobody in law enforcement actually uses that pile of shit for anything. It exists to make democrat and fudd gun owners “feel good. “ that their shit is “registered” or something.
I have seen differently

I have seen differently
Well maybe an off cases it's used to harass gun owners but that's trivially easy to do in this state regardless .. authorities have shown that they will just make up s*** on a whim. But yes I agree that in corner cases they could use it as some kind of a tool to torture gun owners with.

Well maybe an off cases it's used to harass gun owners but that's trivially easy to do in this state regardless .. authorities have shown that they will just make up s*** on a whim. But yes I agree that in corner cases they could use it as some kind of a tool to torture gun owners with.
The funny part was the cop knew about the 2 guns I bought before getting my FFL and MA dealer....... He though I only owned 2 [rofl]

It's still statistically insignificant.

Even the ATF will tell you only a tiny sliver of crime gun traces go to private sales. The overwhelming majority of traces go to straw purchases and then the next biggest chunk is stolen guns.

ETA: btw using an FFL will not shield you from liability. Although it might give you better chances in civil court, but you wouldn't be going there unless you had big 7 figure + net worth anyways. (Ambulance chasers don't usually try to get blood from stones)

Preaching to the choir dude :)

Exactly. Imagine moving back to MA, the State would have no idea you sold those guns.

Eventually someone in FL might put a gun on GB and find its way back to MA. Now the system shows 2 people with the same gun but no sale (if it even shows that).

This is one of the 100 reasons why the MA registration system is a complete cluster f*ck.

At the same time, the OP brought his own FL guns back to MA which don't require registration. So now he owns guns that are legal and the State doesn't know he has them.

This is another of the 100 reasons why the MA registration system is a complete cluster f*ck.
My buddy moved from Tx to Ma and brought his guns but is afraid to hold them and wants to sell this one. I told him he doesn’t need to register them and not worry. No surprise it’s this one 🤣
B99DE281-7BA0-4CEA-A867-2EA2735B5158.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom