• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Show promoter playing god

mpoc17

NES Member
Just had a interesting conversation with the owner of a Shooting Supply in Westport. He advised he has been asked to not return to any of the local gun shows. He stated the promoters of the gun shows have had too many complaints from other dealers that his prices were too low and made it difficult for them to do business. He showed me the letter he received from the promoter. Being a gun dealer in this state is difficult enough, but to have someone who is profiting from us/ gun sales limit what dealers can and can not do is pretty shitty. Maybe a little bit of public publicity about how he is restricting gun rights maybe in order.

Shooting Supply in Westport is my go to LGS. They are great and always competitive if not the lowest. Little reason for me to go anywhere else.
I don’t care what his prices are. It’s the fact that someone who is making a lot of money off of gun owners is deciding who can and can not sell guns.

Just had a interesting conversation with the owner of a Shooting Supply in Westport. He advised he has been asked to not return to any of the local gun shows. He stated the promoters of the gun shows have had too many complaints from other dealers that his prices were too low and made it difficult for them to do business. He showed me the letter he received from the promoter. Being a gun dealer in this state is difficult enough, but to have someone who is profiting from us/ gun sales limit what dealers can and can not do is pretty shitty. Maybe a little bit of public publicity about how he is restricting gun rights maybe in order.

Won't really matter, and IMO they're "not restricting gun rights" its their show they can do what they want with it, including continue to run them into the
ground. Wouldn't be the first or the last time that promoter has thrown some dealers under the bus.

If I was going to make a wag the dude from Westport referenced here probably does not have an elaborate booth or pay greasing fees or have an in for booth placement, etc.

IMHO dealers not attending these shows (which as time goes by, is an increasing number) should run a "gun show not at the gun show special" on gun show weekends just to rub it in a bit. "Disappointed? come see us instead after the show!" etc.

-Mike

I don’t care what his prices are. It’s the fact that someone who is making a lot of money off of gun owners is deciding who can and can not sell guns.

Then out the promoter and show. The truth is not very many guns sell at those shows any more because the prices are out of line.

Shooting Supply isn't just some cut rate operation. They carry heavy stock and reloading supplies and they are knowledgeable, friendly, and go the extra mile.

I was told the owner is an ex LEO and Licensing Officer. Great guy to do business with locally.

Does anyone other than the beef jerky and earplug guy actually sell anything? Ive been to 2 shows and it was a waste.

Who else does a "oldest gun in the book sale" ? Kudos to mark and his crew for a great shop. Clearly he is doing something right.

Maybe if other shops , and sellers on here for that matter paid attention, they might actually move the product instead of bumping ads every week.

Then out the promoter and show. The truth is not very many guns sell at those shows any more because the prices are out of line.

It's probably NewMart or whoever it is that runs the MA/NY shows... would be surprised if it wasn't, I don't think there is another one, the only other shows in MA
are run by clubs or other much smaller operations.

-Mike

Won't really matter, and IMO they're "not restricting gun rights" its their show they can do what they want with it, including continue to run them into the
ground. Wouldn't be the first or the last time that promoter has thrown some dealers under the bus.

If I was going to make a wag the dude from Westport referenced here probably does not have an elaborate booth or pay greasing fees or have an in for booth placement, etc.

IMHO dealers not attending these shows (which as time goes by, is an increasing number) should run a "gun show not at the gun show special" on gun show weekends just to rub it in a bit. "Disappointed? come see us instead after the show!" etc.

-Mike

Not forgetting you can walk into a gun shop for free.

It was likely the Marlboro Show.

It was. The Shooting Supply booth was incredibly busy, so much so that I thought their attendance would force other vendors to be more competitive and shows would be better going forward.

I guess that’ll learn me.

I’m done with those shitshows. f*** Newmart.

Last edited:
Please.....elaborate more on how this is a restriction of "gun rights".

[rofl]

You know it is a violation of the FTC price fixing regulations if his is being blocked because he is too competitively priced. Everyone one complaining as well as the promoter acting on their behalf could be waist deep in the
I'm sure the AG will be all over it.

I've only been to a handful of gun shows, and I've never bought anything at one. I'd rather spend my time poking around the LGS. Looks like it's time for a ride to Westport.

I'm sure the AG will be all over it.

I've only been to a handful of gun shows, and I've never bought anything at one. I'd rather spend my time poking around the LGS. Looks like it's time for a ride to Westport.

Definitely. I’ve had nothing but great experiences at Shooting Supply. It’s not the place for exotic stuff - but for revolvers, bolt rifles, common firearms, and loading supplies their inventory and prices can’t be beat. Many times I find ammo there priced comparably to TS.

What the Westport guy needs to do is advertise:

"GUN SHOWS DAILY! Monday-Saturday 10AM to 6PM! " for his store...

And have a Beef Jerky vendor on-site...

iu

Last edited:
You know it is a violation of the FTC price fixing regulations if his is being blocked because he is too competitively priced. Everyone one complaining as well as the promoter acting on their behalf could be waist deep in the
Yeah I’m going with the above. There are definitely anti trust regulations being broken here. I don’t pay enough attention in those trainings but this smells bad to me.
Haven’t been to a big gun show in a long time and won’t be ever.
Shooting Supply is 20 minutes away and kind of ruined taking long drives to stand in a deli line for poor service and decent prices.
Unless you’re into that kind of stuff

-Mike

That was my first thought.. come in on show dates and bring your gun show "invite" card and get 10% off or some other incentive that is cost effective.

Fortunately for the other dealers and show promotor, a felony conviction for monopolistic behavior or restraint of trade does not render one a prohibited person under federal law, though is does under MA law.
My "in" for booth placement at the Marlborough show (Hop Sportsmens/USPSA table) was simply asking nicely for a right hand side of building location with power. Most people tend to turn right on entry, so the right side is better if you want visitors fresh; left if you want to get them on the way out.

Last edited:
They had a big setup with fair prices, so didn't Tombstone Trading, there was not any giveaway or steal of a deal prices to warrant not being asked back.
Id like to see the actual letter, posted here on this thread

Shooting Supply is outstanding for prices and the most friendly, knowledgeable service. They are honest gun folks, not scheisters. That's why they were such a hit at the show and why everyone else is jealous of them! Drive to visit them in Westport for a real deal...and don't waste your time going to worthless shows with artificially inflated prices.

Wow!

Shooting Supply has been my favorite shop since they opened. Several big purchases there. Well over an hour drive for me, but worth it.

I quit the big shows a few years ago. The gene pool at those shows is way to shallow for my liking.

Screw the promotion companies. Screw anyone who jacks up their prices to show levels. Anyone educated knows better. In my opinion the big shows are there to take advantage of new license holders who will go to shows with a hard-ons and fists full of cash, looking to score their first purchase, no matter what the price.

If you have not been to Shooting Supply, you should plan to go check them out. Small and local. If they can sell at reasonable prices, why can’t they other guys?? Hmmmm.

They had a big setup with fair prices, so didn't Tombstone Trading, there was not any giveaway or steal of a deal prices to warrant not being asked back. Id like to see the actual letter, posted here on this thread.
Likewise. They were competitive, but not exactly giving anything away. I think the crowd around their tables was bigger than some others just because they brought more new and used stock to view. Something is very fishy here. [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom