Gun Shop Grumps

Talk about back from the dead. Anyone go to the place in South Hadley? Joe is nice and always has good looking young women working there:)

You want to be treated good and with respect not to mention a friendly atomspere then shop at First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge ,Ma. and keep in mind when you go to the unfriendly and arrogant places it's your fault for taking your hard earned money out of your pocket and handing it over to one of those knuckleheads .....no i didn't get and don't a advertising fee just know i work to hard for my money to just give it to anyone

Yup if I am going to your place of business and I sense disgruntled employees I will spend my worthless dollars else where.

After all walking into a gun shop to make a purchase is like paying a mortgage payment these days, especially in Mass.

You want to be treated good and with respect not to mention a friendly atomspere then shop at First Defense Firearms in Uxbridge ,Ma.

I agree First Defense has some of the best customer service. Local to me the I've had great experiences with Ron's Sport Shop in So. Dartmouth, Archer Arms in Carver, and C and F in Middleboro. I've never felt unwelcome in any of them.

Rons Sport shop and Stricklands have been my two favorites so far. I am going to head out and check out C & F today if they are open. Lots of good things said about that shop.

Middleboro and Richies are out for good for me.

OK, I thought it was just me, but after this past week in Florida, I'm starting to think its a Universal thing.

Why is it when you first walk into a gun shop the vast majority of the staff are rarely open and friendly?

I couldn't take ammo with me to Florida, so I looked up a few shops to visit knowing that anyone can buy ammo down there. I was really looking forward to seeing cases of guns like up at Kittery where you see all the stuff you can't get here.

Instead, I felt like I was almost unwelcome. In one I was met with a brash "Whadda ya want?".

You'd think with the low margin on hardware and the profit coming from the accessories and such that more shops would be more friendly.

Or is it just me?

[rofl] whats this Yankee want LOL go poke that thing, see if it moves.

Rons Sport shop and Stricklands have been my two favorites so far. I am going to head out and check out C & F today if they are open. Lots of good things said about that shop.

Middleboro and Richies are out for good for me.

C&F is a nice little shop with a lot of stuf.. He didn't seem to knowledgeable about his own stock though.[rolleyes]

next time wear something camo and don't speak till spoken to, you might fool them at first. when you speak well now your a Yankee so try to make your introduction a good one. first name and then say wow everything here is so much better than back home..

where ya froam?

MASS and it sucks, its filled with ####.....

First Defense is my favorite.. Four Seasons is right up there too.
First defense is my favorite too. I don't think I'll ever buy another new gun anywhere else.

Ammo is a different matter. I am still shopping for the best stocked/least cost Taxachusetts-based supplier in that regard. I don't know who that will be but I've sure found out who that ain't!

Four Seasons lost me as a customer when I drove up there to buy some ammo and the price had gone up between the time I called and the time I arrived in the store. Maybe just my dumb bad luck, but it sure did tick me off.

CLMN

OK, I thought it was just me, but after this past week in Florida, I'm starting to think its a Universal thing.

Why is it when you first walk into a gun shop the vast majority of the staff are rarely open and friendly?

I couldn't take ammo with me to Florida, so I looked up a few shops to visit knowing that anyone can buy ammo down there. I was really looking forward to seeing cases of guns like up at Kittery where you see all the stuff you can't get here.

Instead, I felt like I was almost unwelcome. In one I was met with a brash "Whadda ya want?".

You'd think with the low margin on hardware and the profit coming from the accessories and such that more shops would be more friendly.

Or is it just me?

It isn't just you. I have found a lot of shop owners are rude, and seem to be bothered if I walk in.. Seriously, you will never be treated that wat at First Defense, no matter who's working.

kurtb said:
First Defense in Uxbridge is great also (but their hours are kind of weird) ...
They're great hours. [smile] I find myself going there instead of other places because I can swing by on my way home almost every day of the week.

Outstanding place to buy from. Shelly's always been extremely helpful - she orders one or two of something that they don't normally stock when someone asks about it, so the next time someone asks there's at least one there, and she's even gone so far as to go through the racks of holsters during a slower day at the shop looking for ones to fit a gun not listed on the packaging. Dennis was very happy to show my g/f several pistols and explain about them, even though he knew we didn't intent to purchase anything that day. She says she's definitely going back there for future purchases just based on my experiences there and her comfort level.
CLMN said:
Four Seasons lost me as a customer when I drove up there to buy some ammo and the price had gone up between the time I called and the time I arrived in the store. Maybe just my dumb bad luck, but it sure did tick me off.
Same day, and they wouldn't honor the quoted price? Did they say it was a mistake, or did the price really just get marked up?

That's a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive for me. I haven't made it yet, but am still planning on it based on the good I've heard about the place. That'd certainly make me think twice about making the drive again. [hmmm]

Yep.

I always give a hello to the guy at the counter on my way in.

That's a good idea. I try to make eye contact with the person(s) behind the counter. If they're not busy, I tell them that it's my first visit there and I'm just looking around. Making open contact kind of puts them at ease. Looking furtive and avoiding contact tends to make anyone a little nervous, whether you're on the giving or receiving end.

Same day, and they wouldn't honor the quoted price? Did they say it was a mistake, or did the price really just get marked up?
They were awful busy that day (three sets of purchase paperwork going on at once and SRO). They didn't offer me any explanation. It was take it or leave it. I left it. I am not the kind of guy to stand around arguing or begging over such things in a busy gun shop.

That being said, their higher "in-person" prices were the same as a couple of other places I had checked. I had made the tedious drive up there for the lower prices I was quoted (and that some boxes were still marked)... but the joke that day was on me.

That's a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive for me. I haven't made it yet, but am still planning on it based on the good I've heard about the place. That'd certainly make me think twice about making the drive again. [hmmm]
I won't bother with that long ride again, but YMMV. They obviously do a big business so they must be doing something right.

CLMN

I have bought from Blue Northern, and thought they were fair people, they did not come across as grumps, and they do wait for you to strike up the conversation, but I liked them.

I have been to FS once, which in all fairness, was packed, and they were busy as all get out, so I can't say they were rude, but I did see them helping many people with limited resources, about 50 customers with 5 people running the counter, that is hard. Which speaks volumes to me, they take their customers seriously, and that they will do what it takes to make you as happy with your purchases as they can. I found them to be very helpful. I have no complaints at all, other than it is a long drive for me.

My most favorite place, hands down, State Line in NH, if I want to buy a gun or anything related, they are the first one I stop at. Granted, they are in NH, but they are 15 min away, and they have always been outstanding in service, prices are fair, and the atmosphere is great. Paul and Chris run a top notch store up their. Only draw back, the porta crapper is outside, and it is getting cold.

They're great hours. [smile] I find myself going there instead of other places because I can swing by on my way home almost every day of the week.

i LOVE first defense's hours...it is definitely helpful when you don't have time on your lunch break from work to get there but after work you have all the time in the world.

The only issue I have with First Defense is I have to limit my visits there 'cause I buy something every time I stop [laugh]

It might not be a gun, but whether it's ammo or an accessorie I really don't need, I wind up spending cash - too much cool stuff and they're so nice you just want to spend money there [smile]

I get the grumps at Collectors in Stoneham
Huh, wasn't my experience the last time I was there. Busy as heck, though.

I find them to be pretty good. Not super friendly but not put off either. Plus they were always helpful when asked.

Heck Jack had two of the "Planet of the Apes" guns when I wanted one and was selling them at retail when other shops were jacking the prices up. He answers all emails quickly as well and is pretty helpful. Another shop I would drive up to visit plus I like that I can browse their list of used guns on their site.

Last edited:
I went to matchshot in Gardner and talked to Loyd for a while. I guess the guys down there are usually grumpy. Chuck never said anything to me, but was talking to one of the regulars.

I can see how some people can get annoyed with Loyd if your an experienced shooter. He was giving me shooting pointers and rambled forever. But being new to shooting i didn't mind at all. He also showed me just about every pistol that they had in the case, some in the safe. It was a pleasant experience, he gave me a stack of magazines to read. They need some music in there or something though. Quiet.

I also ran into the gunsmith that works there later (don't know his name) Talked to him for a while, seems like a decent guy.

I sold a gun to First Defense...very nice people....I have only been to 3-4 stores here in CT...never really as issue unless its crazy busy....I hate how cabelas makes an employee walk the gun out then give it you once you leave....

Other than Callaghan's in Marlborough and Tite-Group Sporting in Northborough (great customer service at both), I've pretty much given up on gunshops in MA. (I have not been to FS, yet, though.)

I have got sick of weird people and utterly abysmal customer service in the gun shops around here. Some of these retailers are their own worst enemies. I used to work retail and treated my customers like kings. Otherwise, why do it?

I buy most of my guns/ammo off the Internet. No bullshit, money talks. FFL transfers done to MA FFL, no problem.

Who needs the aggravation of dealing with a whackjob BS artist of a gunshop owner? Life's too short.

I went to First Defense tonight for a couple of small things rather than ordering from the internet. I've only been in there a handful of times at best, yet Dennis and Shelly both remembered my name and asked if there was anything they could do to help me.

I left with more stuff than I needed.

I don't know what it is, maybe because I'm younger, but it always takes forever for me to be helped at FS. I've literally stood at the register for 15 minutes with boxes of ammo before someone asked if I needed anything.

Collector's is okay. Nothing special, but not bad.

The absolute worst service I've ever received at any story was at McElhiney's. I've detailed my experiences in the thread about the store.

Luckily, the store just down the road, Law Enforcement Supply, in Waltham, is absolutely incredible. They probably don't have the best selection, but I've never been treated with anything but the utmost respect and they are always courteous. If you're in the metro-west area, stop by. Great guys in there.

Back
Top Bottom