GUN-SCRUBBER

I use MPro7 and a brush to clean the frame/slide, then spray them liberally with brake cleaner to remove all of the loosened gunk. I shake the parts and blow some compressed air on them to evaporate the solvent, then re-lube. I do this on all of my revolvers and pistols, both plastic and metal.

Clean the same way. Compressed air should be in all range bags.

I think it and Brake Cleaner both belong in the garage.

The first SKS I ever bought was a Yugo 59/66. I tried Brake Cleaner and realized how bad it was, then Gun Scrubber. When I got too high to work in the cellar, I waited a few minutes and drove to my shop and used the parts washer.[laugh]

I've used just about every type of cleaner there is have come to the conclusion that Break Free CLP, compressed air (even if only from a can like the ones used to clean PC keyboards), and a few Q Tips will clean any gun in my collection. Even if I'm too lazy to take them apart.

I just thought I'd give a review for GUNSCRUBBER... I used it to clean up my MKIII.

1.) Definately use outside!
2.) I disassembled the pistol regardless of the cans claims.
3.) Sprayed down in quick spurts the bolt, frame, and action. And lube everything back up w/ BF CLP.

Comments:

This stuff works as advertised, PERIOD! Quick spurts makes any fouling, grease, or anything literaly evaporate w/ the cleaner leaving a completely clean surface. A little tooo bare if you ask me, but no prob because a few squirts of CLP and the surface was fine once again! Definately enjoyed it!

wednesday i used gun scrubber to clean the Mosin. everything came out pretty good.
on thursday i used brake cleaner to clean my M4A3 and my WASR10. the finished result was just as good as gun scrubber. the plastic parts on my AR were not damaged.
gunscrubber = $9.50
brake cleaner (non chlorinated) = $3.20

+1

I can't believe it took 12 posts for someone to recommend this.

Even better than the parts store, get it at Walmart. You can get 4 cans for the price of 1 can of Gun Scrubber. I use it on all my guns, including my Glocks with no problems.

Make sure it's brake (or brake parts) cleaner an not Carb cleaner or engine cleaner.

Make sure it is NON-CHLORINATED brake cleaner.

I use Simple green uncut,let the parts soak for awhile brush off,relube.Its cheap and nontoxic! Jim

Holy crap!

I tried this last night and it worked perfectly! I put a filthy cylinder from a S&W 629 in a cup of Simple Green overnight. This morning, I wiped it clean with a paper towel. Even the burn rings, which have resisted my cleaning efforts for months, wiped right off.

I don't think I'll ever buy MPro7 again.

Holy crap!

I tried this last night and it worked perfectly! I put a filthy cylinder from a S&W 629 in a cup of Simple Green overnight. This morning, I wiped it clean with a paper towel. Even the burn rings, which have resisted my cleaning efforts for months, wiped right off.

The best part nontoxic!

I buy Simple Green at Sam's by the gallon.

Two things to watch. Simple Green if left on certain metals, mainly aluminum will corrode it. It also leaves some residue. My friend uses it in the repair and overhaul of scuba regulators in a ultrasonic cleaner. After the cleaning the parts are flushed again with what I believe is probably water to flush the SG out.

Holy crap!

I use it when I get a new Milsurp that is heavily cosmolined. It works great, but since it's water based, you need to be sure to dry everything off and lube liberally. I've never tried it on a revolver, but I will now.

Has anyone tried Purple Power for any gun cleaning jobs?

Wal Mart sells it for ridiculously cheap, I think its $4 a gallon. I've used it a few times to strip rifle stocks that were really bad and it really cuts grease. Its also biodegradable.

Not a bad idea to follow up Simple Green with WD-40. This gets rid of the water based vehicle that SG is comprised of. Remember to lubricate before firing, WD-40 alone will not be enough and it tends to degrease as well.

Chris

I cleaned it outside, so I wasn't too concerned about anything getting into my lungs that didn't come from a pipe....[wink] [smile]

um... not sure I'd smoke while using it. [devil2]

Holy crap!

Gotta try that! I can never get those clean!

Back
Top Bottom