Gun safe question

DW357

NES Member
I'm in the process of moving into my new house in the next couple weeks and I need to get a decent gun safe. I'm pretty much limited to putting it in the basement which is unfortunate since it can get very humid down there in the summer. I've got a humidity gauge down there now and with the basement windows closed it was 72% on Tuesday night. I bought a 50 pint dehumidifier and I had it running for a couple days last month and I had it down to 56% if I set it to 50-55%. Sucks that it runs all the time since it uses 600 watts of power. I don't have any downspouts on the gutters so I'm sure that isn't helping much- one more thing to add to the list of home repairs/improvements.

I've already bought a couple of those rechargeable dehumidifiers for a safe and might get a goldenrod once I figure out if the safe can easily be drilled to wire one of those. So I've been looking at the Field and Stream 32+6 gun safe from Dick's for $800. Does anyone have experience with these safes and know how good they are? I need one good enough for 5 longs guns and 5 pistols plus ammo. Also does anyone know if the doors are removable? It's going to be a PITA trying to get it through the tiny doorways and down a couple sets of stairs into the basement. I need to find a place that has decent dollies with wheels down the backside to help with going down the stairs.

Field & Stream Pro 32 + 6 Gun Fire Safe - Dick's Sporting Goods

That safe is about the size of my 24 gun safe which holds maybe 14 guns.
Most safes have a small hole in back that a cord can run through. Some have a port for a plug too

Look into the Winchester safe from tractor supply that is about the same price and size but is IIRC thicker steel and seems to be better made.

Weight at the same size can tell you basically if one is thicker than the other.

Look into the Winchester safe from tractor supply that is about the same price and size but is IIRC thicker steel and seems to be better made.

This.

I have one and have been very happy with it. It's a lot of safe for the money.

A couple of strong guys and an appliance two wheeler is enough to move it into a basement.

The door on my Winchester is removable but I left it on without issue.

I just found out about safes that can be carried piece by piece almost anywhere and assembled there! Some brands I remember are Snap Safes, Zannotti and maybe Champion.

If I get another one that's the kind I would get.

That safe is about the size of my 24 gun safe which holds maybe 14 guns.
Most safes have a small hole in back that a cord can run through. Some have a port for a plug too

Weight at the same size can tell you basically if one is thicker than the other.

I think I read about that safe a few months ago and heard it was a good safe for the money on other threads people had about safes. Well hopefully it will be enough for 5 long guns (3 with optics) and 5 pistols plus some ammo. I just want to buy a big enough safe so I'm not buying a bigger one in a couple years.

So it's free shipping which is awesome. I'll take a look at this safe and so some more research. Thanks!

Also take a look at the safes online at Costco and at Tractor Supply.
Re: the Costco safes, I read once that you do not have to be a member but at pay a few dollars more. You can also FTE the manual dial lock, I think for the same price - but you just need to call the phone number rather than order online.

snapf.jpg

http://www.snapsafe.com/

So how many guns have you guys been able to cram into the 24 gun safe from Tractor Supply?

It is unfortunate that you are going to buy a brand new safe, load it with your prized possessions (guns), and then put it down in your humid basement. It is only 30 inches wide, you must be able to find a decent spot for it upstairs somewhere. [grin]

Also, as a tip...buy as big of a safe that you can afford. The "24-gun safe" will fit maybe 24 "very skinny" guns and they will be banging against each other quite often. Plus, if you have scopes on them...good luck fitting 24 of them into the safe. [wink]

It would be good to take a trip here:
Eastern Security Safe Company - 1.877.644.7233 - Mendon, MA.

I know but I dont have many other places to put it. The only other place is to put it in the dining room next to the kitchen but I don't really want to advertise to people when they come over that I have guns. I think as long as I keep the dehumidifier running and put a couple rechargeable dehumidifiers in the safe, I shouldn't have any rust issues from what I read on here.

Yeah I feel like the 24 gun safe will just be enough for what I have now and will be stuffed in a few years. The 32+6 gun safe at dick's is deeper and wider than the tractor supply safe and I think that should be a big enough safe for a while. The doorframe width in my house are only like 32 inches so I can't go too much bigger than the 32 gun safe.

The TSC Winchester 24 safe? Better double check that. I don't think so.

Yeah I just looked, it's $110 for shipping. I don't know why I thought that, it was pretty late last night when I was looking on the TSC website lol.

I know but I dont have many other places to put it. The only other place is to put it in the dining room next to the kitchen but I don't really want to advertise to people when they come over that I have guns. I think as long as I keep the dehumidifier running and put a couple rechargeable dehumidifiers in the safe, I shouldn't have any rust issues from what I read on here.
I know folks do it, but I would never put my guns in a safe in a "wet" basement no matter how many dehumidifiers, sump pumps, fans, goldenrod heaters and/or desiccants I could afford. I would take a lesser, smaller safe in an inherently dry location any day of the week. And if it meant multiple safes instead of one monster big one, that would be fine with me too.

I know folks do it, but I would never put my guns in a safe in a "wet" basement no matter how many dehumidifiers, sump pumps, fans, goldenrod heaters and/or desiccants I could afford. I would take a lesser, smaller safe in an inherently dry location any day of the week. And if it meant multiple safes instead of one monster big one, that would be fine with me too.

I don't think I'd say the basement is wet, it's usually around 10% more humid than upstairs in the living room. I don't have central air, just window units. So either I put it in a humid room upstairs or a humid basement (where at least I can run a dehumidifier and lower the humidity). I agree that it's not the ideal place to put a gun safe and I really don't want to but we're limited on closet space as well. Especially with the fiance having tons of shoes and clothes I can't really take up any closet space (2 1/2 closets to be exact) unfortunately. It's 3-4 months out of the year that we have extreme humidity issues and by fall and winter the air is much drier and easier to control the basement humidity.

I don't think I'd say the basement is wet, it's usually around 10% more humid than upstairs in the living room. I don't have central air, just window units. So either I put it in a humid room upstairs or a humid basement (where at least I can run a dehumidifier and lower the humidity). I agree that it's not the ideal place to put a gun safe and I really don't want to but we're limited on closet space as well. Especially with the fiance having tons of shoes and clothes I can't really take up any closet space (2 1/2 closets to be exact) unfortunately. It's 3-4 months out of the year that we have extreme humidity issues and by fall and winter the air is much drier and easier to control the basement humidity.

Don't worry man...I have mine in the basement. I run a room dehumidifier and keep a 750g Silica cansiter in the cabinet. Room and cabinet are in the low to mid 40's (humdity). Unless you are in Florida or something I wouldn't worry. I fretted over this for months for nothing. You can reply or PM and I'd be happy to go over anything.

Last edited:
im looking for a safe as well for my basement. but mine is ground walk in level and gets zero water...so the humidity level is the same as the house...to the OP you gotta do what you gotta do,, put it where you feel safest and try to take all the precautions of keeping it as dry as you can..good luck

im looking for a safe as well for my basement. but mine is ground walk in level and gets zero water...so the humidity level is the same as the house...to the OP you gotta do what you gotta do,, put it where you feel safest and try to take all the precautions of keeping it as dry as you can..good luck

Yep, I don't have many options so I have to do what works best for me. I've got a 50 pint dehumidifier running a lot and 2 rechargeable dehumidifiers and will probably be running a goldenrod as well. If that doesn't control the humidity I don't know what will.

Don't worry man...I have mine in the basement. I run a room dehumidifier and keep a 750g Silica cansiter in the cabinet. Room and cabinet are in the low to mid 40's (humdity). Unless you are in Florida or something I wouldn't worry. I fretted over this for months for nothing. You can reply or PM and I'd be happy to go over anything.

Wow that's pretty dry (mid 40s). I set the dehumidifier at 60 so it doesn't run 24/7 and it gets the humidity down to the mid 50s and according to the humidity gauge I have, that's in the "comfort zone" and should be a good level for storage. Yeah I've been "fretting" over this for months as well, and since I'm trying to figure out how I'm getting the safe into the basement. I think as long as I get a good dolly with straps and good wheels me and my friends should be able to move it down there.

Wow that's pretty dry (mid 40s). I set the dehumidifier at 60 so it doesn't run 24/7 and it gets the humidity down to the mid 50s and according to the humidity gauge I have, that's in the "comfort zone" and should be a good level for storage. Yeah I've been "fretting" over this for months as well, and since I'm trying to figure out how I'm getting the safe into the basement. I think as long as I get a good dolly with straps and good wheels me and my friends should be able to move it down there.

Yeah I have all synthetic stuff (no wood) so not worried about cracking or anything that could happen at that level. Yes, 50's is fine for sure. Only thing I would do is use something to get some air under the safe (someone on here said to mount it on hockey pucks). Anything to get a little space under would help if you are putting it right on concrete.

Slightly off topic (Sorry, OP) --

Is it worthwhile to get a regular safe (and avoid the "gun safe" tax) ? Are regular safes as expensive as a gun safe ?

I would imagine a regular safe would have similar features as a gun safe (e.g. fire-proof) ?

when i do get mine it will be up off the ground a foot probably on a something I build....my basement is tiled and like I said even in the worse rain and flooding i dont get water (knock on wood) Im more worried about the water heater bursting :)

True. My basement is waterproofied but I still elevated mine a bit. Luckily the pump is in the finsihed room so I just let my dehumidifier drain right into it.

Yeah during extreme heavy rains I get some water seeping in through the walls in the back corner of the basement. I plan on trying to seal it up this fall/winter once the air dries out and I don't have to worry about heavy rains as much. The house was built in the 30s and the basement is unfinished with just concrete floor and concrete/granite walls. Good idea on the hockey pucks, I do plan on mounting it at least 1 foot off of the concrete floor in case of flooding due to a water heater or a hurricane with a huge storm surge comes through lol. Can I use concrete cinder blocks to raise it off of the floor? Just trying to think what I can use to raise it higher than the width of a hockey puck.

Is it worthwhile to get a regular safe (and avoid the "gun safe" tax) ? Are regular safes as expensive as a gun safe ?

I would imagine a regular safe would have similar features as a gun safe (e.g. fire-proof) ?

Gun safes are tax exempt

Yeah during extreme heavy rains I get some water seeping in through the walls in the back corner of the basement. I plan on trying to seal it up this fall/winter once the air dries out and I don't have to worry about heavy rains as much. The house was built in the 30s and the basement is unfinished with just concrete floor and concrete/granite walls. Good idea on the hockey pucks, I do plan on mounting it at least 1 foot off of the concrete floor in case of flooding due to a water heater or a hurricane with a huge storm surge comes through lol. Can I use concrete cinder blocks to raise it off of the floor? Just trying to think what I can use to raise it higher than the width of a hockey puck.

Don't see why not...provided they can hold the weight. Some people will tell you not too mount too high since someone with a forklift and come right in and roll the safe out. I would be MORE concerned about water than that (water is more likely to happen than the other scenario). How heavy is it?

Regular safes come with sales tax.

Avoid household saves that use moisture laden fireproofing (for example, Sentry document safes) as these will rust guns.

"Real safes" (with a TL15 or better rating) will cost, and weigh, much more than a "gun safe". Gun safes are probably good for protection against 99% of residential burgularies, but will not stop a prepared and motivated attacker.

Don't see why not...provided they can hold the weight. Some people will tell you not too mount too high since someone with a forklift and come right in and roll the safe out. I would be MORE concerned about water than that (water is more likely to happen than the other scenario). How heavy is it?

Dick's website says it's 493 lbs, 59"H x 29.25"W x 25.5"D. I'm just trying to see what would be best for raising it off the floor at least 1 foot. I'm assuming anything that doesn't hold moisture (untreated wood) and allows air to circulate underneath the safe? If I did use cinder blocks, it would probably be better to have the open sides of the blocks not touching the safe, so it allows air to travel beneath the safe.

Gun safes are tax exempt

Wow ! Something NOT taxed here in moonbat Massachusetts [laugh]

....Don't tell Marsha....

Regular safes come with sales tax.

Avoid household saves that use moisture laden fireproofing (for example, Sentry document safes) as these will rust guns.

"Real safes" (with a TL15 or better rating) will cost, and weigh, much more than a "gun safe". Gun safes are probably good for protection against 99% of residential burgularies, but will not stop a prepared and motivated attacker.

Thank you for this information, good to know. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom