• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Safe Moving Company Recommendations OTHER Than Eastern? Worcester/Central MA

I don't know. The fact that it's hard to find someone to do it tells you its hard and not something people like to make a business out of. That said, if the stair climbing dolly/conveyer is, say, $15K, it wouldn't take long to pay that off even if you charged an average of, say, $500-$750 a move. The ESS guys were literally at my house less than a half hour when they used that dolly to move a safe down bulkhead stairs. I couldn't believe how easy it was for them.

Yes but my issue is that the cost should scale with the distance traveled and the effort. Time & materials, or T & M plus something maybe.

Yes but my issue is that the cost should scale with the distance traveled and the effort. Time & materials, or T & M plus something maybe.

After a point though there's a minimum you have to collect on a call to make it worth it. I would bet that ESS has some kind of minimum formula.

Like as an example if i am doing an evening service call its usually going to burn 4 hrs of my time if i am lucky. So I have to get $150-$250 just to show up otherwise id rather just take a nap. Regulars/perf plan people only pay a fraction of that, but all of those clients essentially make me 95% of my income in that business. So I reciprocate with low rates and cheap basic service calls.

There's also op cost / time value cost for them. There's a fun balance between filling your schedule plus profit optimization. Your $1000 call takes a crew, truck and a time slot. So if they can't serve a 3K call during that slot and lose that business to someone else..... at least they still made 1k gross on that slot. Just speculating. If cost is an issue you can shop around and likely get a better rate. There's plenty of less specialized movers that'd probably move pedestrian safes for short money. Realize that not every mover serves the same markets.

I don't know. The fact that it's hard to find someone to do it tells you its hard and not something people like to make a business out of.
Anybody who has driven by ESS in Mendon knows that they always have a sign up for Help Wanted. In fact, they recently replaced the small faded sign with a huge sign for Help Wanted... specifically, Safe Movers Wanted. In Maura's and Andrea's moonbatty Massachusetts, it's an in-demand occupation. 🤔

After a point though there's a minimum you have to collect on a call to make it worth it. I would bet that ESS has some kind of minimum formula.

Like as an example if i am doing an evening service call its usually going to burn 4 hrs of my time if i am lucky. So I have to get $150-$250 just to show up otherwise id rather just take a nap. Regulars/perf plan people only pay a fraction of that, but all of those clients essentially make me 95% of my income in that business. So I reciprocate with low rates and cheap basic service calls.

There's also op cost / time value cost for them. There's a fun balance between filling your schedule plus profit optimization. Your $1000 call takes a crew, truck and a time slot. So if they can't serve a 3K call during that slot and lose that business to someone else..... at least they still made 1k gross on that slot. Just speculating. If cost is an issue you can shop around and likely get a better rate. There's plenty of less specialized movers that'd probably move pedestrian safes for short money. Realize that not every mover serves the same markets.
It's more like figure out the price that is at the optimal point on the supply/demand curve.

ESS was in the news a few years ago because the Middlesex News found out they charge $40K to program the fire alarm at a school. I'd bet the job was done perfectly, and the town agreed to the price, so it was really just a piss and moan article.

If it's such a lucrative business, start moving safes at a discount. If you're putting in the effort, you should be able to set the value of that effort, and nobody else should tell you what your time is worth.

Seriously, anything can be shopped for the best price. It may not be a good price, but that's a different metric.

At my work, yesterday afternoon, I was told that we had to get something to Cali, by Tuesday, that was too big/heavy for normal overnight. "Can you do it?" I was asked.

"Sure, but it's gonna cost."

It did: ~$6000.

Was this Profiteering? I say no, as we could have said, "Too high," and used normal shipping channels, but the Mad Scientists need it there, then.

Was this Profiteering? I say no, as we could have said, "Too high," and used normal shipping channels, but the Mad Scientists need it there, then.
You say that like profiteering is a bad thing?

Whenever someone complains about someone charging to much for a voluntary transaction, I ask them if they would charge a fair markup based on cost or market price when it's time to sell their house. The answer is generally a form of "that's different, it's my money".

You say that like profiteering is a bad thing?

Whenever someone complains about someone charging to much for a voluntary transaction, I ask them if they would charge a fair markup based on cost or market price when it's time to sell their house. The answer is generally a form of "that's different, it's my money".
I was drawing a distinction between the use of 'profiteering' higher up in the thread, and someone expecting to be paid for a specialized service.

In this case driving across the US to make a delivery.

I do hope the guy has a load coming back in this direction...... [laugh]

Of course, it was Company money. If it were my bucks, that would be different...when I open my wallet, George squints, because he's not used to the light.

I just used Mighty Movers from Marlboro MA to deliver a big safe to my second floor man cave. No issues, will use again, price was reasonable.

OK I searched through some old threads and got some advice, but I'm curious if anybody has any better ideas.

I need someone to move a ~700lb safe from a house in the Worcester area, to my house, which is about 35 minutes north of Worcester. I got a quote from Eastern and they want $1350!?! Way more than I can afford to get this thing Illinois Safe Moving Services. Have a call in to Milligan Safe & Vault and waiting to hear back from them. I also called as many Worcester area moving companies as I could find, and four or five said they could do it, and were all fairly reasonable (around $500-$600) but I'd rather use someone who moves safes regularly if possible.

Any other ideas? I appreciate any help at all.
I finally bought a safe (a small Mesa because I have a tiny house so I couldn't go with a big one.) So it's only 400-500 lbs.

It's being delivered early next week but they won't bring it into my house.

I'm in the Commerce area. Any recommendations on movers anyone has used and have had good experiences?

Thanks!

I finally bought a safe (a small Mesa because I have a tiny house so I couldn't go with a big one.) So it's only 400-500 lbs.

It's being delivered early next week but they won't bring it into my house.

I'm in the Commerce area. Any recommendations on movers anyone has used and have had good experiences?

Thanks!
My recommendation is you cancel the purchase and buy from somewhere that will actually deliver your product.

Back
Top Bottom