Gun registration

Good Morning:
I have a question, that I am sure has been asked several times, so I apologize ahead of time for being redundant.
I hold a class A LTC in the state of Massachusetts. I purchased a rifle in the state of Maine. Do I need to register the rifle with my local PD? I could not locate a state registration form, or any instructions pertaining to registration.
Thank you in advance for your help
Bob

Good Morning:
I have a question, that I am sure has been asked several times, so I apologize ahead of time for being redundant.
I hold a class A LTC in the state of Massachusetts. I purchased a rifle in the state of Maine. Do I need to register the rifle with my local PD? I could not locate a state registration form, or any instructions pertaining to registration.
Thank you in advance for your help
Bob

You'll need to send an FA-10 in to the CHSB within (7 days, I think?) of purchase.

Check out the Gun Laws section of the forum for more information.

edit:
Find the form here:
http://goal.org/masslawpages/firearmsinfo.html

Join GOAL, while you are there :)

Use the form Keystone linked to, and send it to the address listed on the form to CHSB. DO NOT SEND ANYTHING to your local PD. Ever. (The only thing you should ever send to the PD is a change of address form if you move out of town... that's it. )

-Mike

Also note that the 7 day time limit does not start when you purchase the gun, but when you bring it into Massachusetts. Depending on individual circumstances, that could be the same day or 40 years later.

Ken

Also note that the 7 day time limit does not start when you purchase the gun, but when you bring it into Massachusetts. Depending on individual circumstances, that could be the same day or 40 years later.

Ken

Yeah, my fault for saying that wrong.

Depending on the rifle, watch out for things limited by the Assault Weapons Ban, as well.

Ken

Ken, are you referring to Chapter 140: Section 128B? If so, where do you see anything about “bring it into Massachusetts”? Or is there different law that applies for out of state transactions? BTW, GOAL also has similar language “within 7 days of your return to Massachusetts”. Thanks.

Well, if the controlling phrase is “receives such firearm within the commonwealth” than you never need to file FA-10 because you NEVER receive the firearm within the commonwealth. I mean it does not say possess within commonwealth.

But the way I always read it – you must file FA-10 within 7 days of purchase. Was I wrong? Any gun lawyers care to join this post? If Ken is correct than I do not see a requirement to ever file FA-10 if you buy a rifle from out of state from lets say FFL in a face-to-face transaction. Can this be correct??? Thank you in advance for help in clarifying this phrase.

Well, if the controlling phrase is “receives such firearm within the commonwealth” than you never need to file FA-10 because you NEVER receive the firearm within the commonwealth. I mean it does not say possess within commonwealth.

But the way I always read it – you must file FA-10 within 7 days of purchase. Was I wrong?
Yes you were. The "within the commonwealth" phrase quite clearly invalidates the view that the 7 day period starts when a gun is purchased outside the state.

The question then is whether acquiring outside the state plus bringing into the state together qualifies as receiving within the commonwealth. Everything I have read and been told says "yes". Bring a gun into the state that has been purchased outside the state completes the "receive" action. It may not make complete sense from an English language perspective, but that's my understanding of the legality of it.

Any gun lawyers care to join this post? If Ken is correct than I do not see a requirement to ever file FA-10 if you buy a rifle from out of state from lets say FFL in a face-to-face transaction. Can this be correct??? Thank you in advance for help in clarifying this phrase.
IANAL, but I had this same question 3-4 years ago and the consistent message then was that the clock starts if and when you bring a gun into the state. Buy a gun outside the state and keep it outside the state then no FA-10 is ever required.

I know gun laws are not supposed to make sense. Thus, I completely realize that trying to find logic in what a group of moonbats with presumed authority wrote is pointless, but just to be clear…

So even if receives = possesses, are you guys saying that if MA resident has a storage locker in NH or a cabin in ME, he/she does not need to file FA-10? Assuming of course the rifle is kept there. [wink]

If so, it might be a good idea to add such “helpful notice” to FA-10 sticky in MA legal section.

I know gun laws are not supposed to make sense. Thus, I completely realize that trying to find logic in what a group of moonbats with presumed authority wrote is pointless, but just to be clear…

So even if receives = possesses, are you guys saying that if MA resident has a storage locker in NH or a cabin in ME, he/she does not need to file FA-10? Assuming of course the rifle is kept there. [wink]

If so, it might be a good idea to add such “helpful notice” to FA-10 sticky in MA legal section.

Exactly!

Why would the fools on the hill ever want to do anything vaguely resembling "helpful" when it comes to gun owners?

Ken

Back
Top Bottom