Gun owners vs. Shooters

As someone else asked, what’s the threshold between casual and enthusiast? I get to my range on average about twice a month. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My range is 40 minutes away and I only go Wednesday mornings as it’s the only day I have available, so I’m sure I’ve seen very few other members and don’t exist to most. I’d love to shoot more and get in to IDPA as it’s hosted there, but it’s not possible given my schedule. The rounds I do get to put downrange are meaningful and deliberate (mag dumps are still fun though) but I still shoot less than 1,000 rds. a month. I could be wrong, but I still consider myself an enthusiast.

Who decides?

I get the feeling there are varying degrees of enthusiast. Those that dump buckets of bullets into the berms, those like me who maybe don’t have the time and resources to shoot as much as they’d like, but are still active, and then the johnny 1 boxes. They may only pop 50 rds. a trip, but they’re still at the range once a month and their friends think they’re a “gun nut” because they’re always taking about 1911’s.

I’d say on the low end shooting 50-100 rounds a couple times a year... They stay familiar with the weapon and it operating condition... what’s wrong with 1911s, I have wonder 9s, big bore revolvers, etc... everything but a .40 (AKA 10mm Short)... 😉

Back
Top Bottom