Gun in car

So if I have my FID card I dont have to be going to or from shooting to be able to keep a secured long arm with ammo (unloaded though) in my trunk (just in case)?

Just in Case?

In MA if anyone that is not an LEO (in the performance of duties) loads or uncases a long gun on a public way (even in self defense), they WILL get CHARGED with having an uncased long gun on a public way. IIRC, that is a 5-10 year felony (depending on mag capacity).

This is true even for someone with a LTC-A/ALP!!

Great state, isn't it? [roll]

So, if I look out my window and see some punks assaulting my wife as she's pulling into the driveway, and they drag her into the street, I can run outside with my shotgun to stop the attack, only as long as I don't step off my lawn and onto the sidewalk?

Sorry, but I'll do what's necessary to protect my family. I'll worry about the consequnces later.

Well, according to what you stated, about 30 people should have gotten citations because they were walking around outside with uncased log guns around. This was at the Marlborough gun show this past weekend.

Any anti would have had a field day videotaping. There were a few folks checking out each other's purchases out in the open, working the action and mounting the gun on their shoulders. Not a good thing to do but it happens.

Funny thing... As I was leaving the show, there was a guy sitting on the end of the fence with a rifle resting on his thigh pointing up. Smoking and obviously thinking nothing of it.

Adam

The law makes it illegal to have an uncased long gun ON A PUBLIC WAY, so one would have to know if that long driveway is a "Public Way" (street) or a private driveway/road to determine the legality.

An elderly guy in Sudbury (IIRC) got nailed for removing long guns (uncased) from the trunk of his car and walking up his driveway with him. IIRC they were pushing for >60 years in jail for this horrific offense! [roll] The case was probably in the 1999-2000 timeframe and did make the news. Don't know the resolution, but I'll bet he lost his LTC for life, paid a fine and probably plead to some lesser charge.

What a person does in a given circumstance is up to them. I'm only explaining the way that the law looks upon it. I do NOT agree with the law, but one must be prepared to spend some serious time in the "big house" and lose their rights if they defend themselves/others outdoors (especially on a "public way") with a long gun.

LenS said:
What a person does in a given circumstance is up to them. I'm only explaining the way that the law looks upon it. I do NOT agree with the law, but one must be prepared to spend some serious time in the "big house" and lose their rights if they defend themselves/others outdoors (especially on a "public way") with a long gun.

Still better than the wrath your wife would dish out if you didn't help her! :D

Adam

I asked goal about mounting a shotgun rack so when I go hunting or to the range I could keep a gun there with a trigger lock (unloaded). this was their reply....

"why the law does technically allow it, ( it does not specify how non large capacity rifles and shotguns are to be carried in a vehicle), GOAL does NOT recommend it. Of concern to us is that if anyone ever feels threatened by you, the fact that the guns are visible means you can be charged with assault, e.g. "making a threat and having the means to carry it out"... Besides, you run the risk of being arrested for breaking the law and then having a blot on your record and paying thousands of dollars to prove that the gun is not a large capacity gun. You just don't want to go there, we suspect.."

pj150 said:
Well, according to what you stated, about 30 people should have gotten citations because they were walking around outside with uncased log guns around. This was at the Marlborough gun show this past weekend.

Any anti would have had a field day videotaping. There were a few folks checking out each other's purchases out in the open, working the action and mounting the gun on their shoulders. Not a good thing to do but it happens.

Everytime that I've been there and someone is leaving with a rifle, they make them cover it with a bag. The guard there had a box of them to hand out and was stopping people.

But that was only for people that were leaving the show. But then I didn't go to the last one so I can't tell you what was going on...

Don't know about people going INTO the show. I've never seen anyone go into the show with a cased long gun.

Back
Top Bottom