• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gun Friendly Home Owner's Insurance Recommendations

As the title says, I'm looking for company recommendations that have good Personal Articles Policy add-ons for firearms. While my collection isn't large, it's above the standard coverage in my base policy. I also don't like my insurance provider in general, and I'd like to switch.

For those of you who have very large collections, or those of you who do training with some of your equipment, who are your insurance providers?

Thanks!

The NRA includes a couple of thousand in coverage with your membership. You can buy additional coverage at a decent rate, plus they don't ask for serial numbers.

check with historicfirearms.com. They do insurance.

This! The name is actually a little off as they will cover all your firearms. You can't go wrong. For whatever reason most of the big box insurance companies don't offer riders for your firearms. I'm sure there might be a few out there, but Arbella definitely doesn't and I looked at a couple others as well with no luck. I finally went with a normal policy with a big company and bought seperate insurance through Historic for my Firearms. It was much cheaper then the NRA's endorsed insurance company. The underwriter is OneBeacon, which has good reviews as a stand up company.

If you're interested, you can email John Richardson at [email protected]. He officially labelled as a VP, but he handles all of their firearm policies. Tell him I sent you. It's time for my renewal!!!

Thanks folks. I haven't heard of historicfirearms.com. I'll check them out.

My auto insurer, State Farm, also does homeowners with firearms add-ons. They're a great company that doesn't have much of a presence in MA. But they got nervous when I told them I do some instruction, too. (Not liability, but just whether they could cover firearms used in instruction.) Yeah, should have kept my mouth shut on that one, but I don't want any problems if I have a total loss.

So, historicfirearms first...

The NRA includes a couple of thousand in coverage with your membership. You can buy additional coverage at a decent rate, plus they don't ask for serial numbers.

i hope i never have to find out, but that is just weird. When i called them, they told me that all they need is a police report. no serial number, nothing.

so, if you insure your guns for like $20K, but they are only worth $10K, will they still give you $20K?

did anyone ever have to use the NRA gun insurance? do they do a research on the guns that got stolen to see if they are worth as much as you say? how do they handle it?

This! The name is actually a little off as they will cover all your firearms. You can't go wrong. For whatever reason most of the big box insurance companies don't offer riders for your firearms. I'm sure there might be a few out there, but Arbella definitely doesn't and I looked at a couple others as well with no luck. I finally went with a normal policy with a big company and bought seperate insurance through Historic for my Firearms. It was much cheaper then the NRA's endorsed insurance company. The underwriter is OneBeacon, which has good reviews as a stand up company.

cheaper than $10 for every $1000 after the initial $2500 you get for being a member? (their insurance just went up to $2500 a few months ago)

Last edited:
So, if you insure your guns for like $20K, but they are only worth $10K, will they still give you $20K?

Most policies payout based on replacement cost, with a maximum payout of your coverage amount. As such, they all require some sort of inventory that you keep. (Not a bad idea for yourself anyway.) In the case of a total loss, the inventory is the only thing that you can fall back on.

whatluck - State Farm is totally cool with insuring firearms. They are all over the free states, so it's normal for them. They just weren't sure about covering firearms that might be used in a "business".

I talked to Jack at Historic, and it seems simpler with them. Plus they also offer instructor liability insurance. Their coverage is firearms, optics, leather, historical stuff. ETA: minimum coverage is $35k.

Last edited:
I have a buddy with Liberty Mutual that I'm going to be talking to about my new arms, he's not concerned about any riders, and the guy is awesome. I'll know Friday if he'll be good to go, so if you'd PM me and I'll give you his info come Friday.

wacky_doug, what's the premium for that 35K minimum from Historic?

Fire/theft rates should be less than 1/2% of insured value.

$0.32/$100, therefore $112 for $35K. No list or S/Ns required.

I know that Jack also had another company he represented that was a bit more expensive but covered collections worth <$35K.

do those collections really exist? [wink]

Well, if you ever try to collect on any insurance policy, you have to prove first that you actually possessed whatever you claim a loss on! Insurance policies don't just pay off on your say-so.

So, you'll really have to prove that your boat sunk with all your guns/ammo on board. [wink]

Most policies payout based on replacement cost, with a maximum payout of your coverage amount.

Many homeowners policies also have an option for "replacement cost coverage",

"Replacement cost coverage" could be interesting if the loss is a gun that is worth considerably more than new retail in MA due to the obvious issues.

Well, if you ever try to collect on any insurance policy, you have to prove first that you actually possessed whatever you claim a loss on! Insurance policies don't just pay off on your say-so.

So, you'll really have to prove that your boat sunk with all your guns/ammo on board. [wink]

I was just wondering if anyone really owns less than $35K worth of guns and accessories? [wink] It seems that is the minimum once you really get into exercising your rights![smile]

I was just wondering if anyone really owns less than $35K worth of guns and accessories? [wink] It seems that is the minimum once you really get into exercising your [STRIKE]rights[/STRIKE] addiction![smile]

FIFY [laugh]

I'd guess that a lot of newbies have a great deal less than $35K in guns/accessories. For most people, it takes years of accumulating "stuff" to get to that level unless you are unbelievably wealthy, no Wife, no alimony payments and no kids! [wink]

This one has brought up on another forum,its $100 for $66000.

http://www.antiqueguninsurance.com/

I can't get enough info from their website, but be careful . . . some will not cover carry guns or those that are taken out and shot more than 1-2x/year. Collectibles insurance comes to mind, it truly is for the collector who never moves his/her guns anywhere except to exhibits (safe queens).

Do these policies cover ammo too or just the guns? If thieves steal your guns they'll steal any ammo they can find too.

FIFY [laugh]

I'd guess that a lot of newbies have a great deal less than $35K in guns/accessories. For most people, it takes years of accumulating "stuff" to get to that level unless you are unbelievably wealthy, no Wife, no alimony payments and no kids! [wink]

Thanks -

Uh oh, I am doing it wrong then , I hit that mark and just got my LTC in Jan 10. Shhhhh. Of course now I have to start all over since that terrible boating accident.

Back
Top Bottom