Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Newton I don't think that getting an unrestricted LTC upon renewal was ever unusual. My B-I-L was told he's get unrestricted when he renewed (or maybe after a year).

Dartmouth Update: Got the call today! Finally after 12 weeks, my LTC is in! Officer did not let me know if it was restricted or not, but I am picking up tomorrow! Very proud day!

Hey guys. First post. My wife and I just got our LTC Class A unrestricted in Manchester after 14 weeks. The whole process, other than waiting was pretty painless.

Dartmouth: FYI I picked license up today and it is in fact no restrictions. Overall a decent experience in Dartmouth considering what some have to go through in certain towns/cities.

Beverly is listed as green but i called the frb today and 12 weeks into it my app hasnt been sent into the state, and I have received no responce

Hey I am from the same town and have my interview coming up on November 18th. I have been trying since July, it took 3 or 4 weeks just to talk to someone and once I got through my appointment was set to 3 mos later. I am wondering what to expect from the interview. Both myself and my 22 too son are going in at the same time.

Thanks

Vin

somerville
called for appointment august 15
appointment september 21
license received november 5
restricted - first time applicant

somerville
called for appointment august 15
appointment september 21
license received november 5
restricted - first time applicant

That was quick! I called for an appointment in April, had an appointment on Aug 29th, and was told to call the station no earlier than 11/29.. I called the DCJIS yesterday and they said they're currently doing the background check. Hopefully it's unrestricted when I receive it though. Worcester.

RE: LTC app in Everett MA. Update: Finally got in there to submit app today with Sgt. Spinale. Turns out he's a real good guy, application was easy and no attempt at trick questions or anything. He said 3 months wait is about average down from a year, which is fine by me if I get Class A Unrestricted. Ya I know not 40 days but...<shrug>. The clock has started at least (hopefully). I didn't bother asking about why website policy and real policy are different. I noticed on bulletin board in police station LTC policy is the same as website. Both are wrong, you have to call and make an appointment with Sgt. Spinale.

It has now been 147 days since I applied in Everett (June 12th, 2013). The FRB line says that it is in Everett PDs hands now. I called the Everett PD business line and asked for Sgt. Spinale. I was told he is working but not in the station, and would I like to leave a message?. As soon as the officer heard that I was looking for a status on my LTC, he informed me the best way to approach it would be to send the Sgt. an email, and that his email address was located on the Everett PD firearms licensing site. I have just now written a very pleasant airy email to Sgt. Spinale asking for a status. I will be quite shocked if I get a reply anytime soon.

And there we have it.
New Bedford.
Called to make appointment in March.
8/1 - Appointment, application and letter to the chief dropped off, figerprints and photo taken.
11/7 - 14 weeks to the day - LTC-A shows up in the mail. Sporting restriction attached.

Let's put it this way about New Bedford. My LTC expires in early March 2014, I called the NBP Firearms division on the first week of September 2013, I was given an interview date in early February 2014. A 5 month wait. That is barely a month before my license expires. Since it is taking 8 to 10 weeks to get the license after the interview, their inability to keep up with the interviews will most likely cause me to not be able to carry for 4 to 6 weeks. Thankfully there is a 90 grace period, but I still cannot carry. I was told by the person that made my appointment that the chief does not give renewals priority....we have to wait like everyone else. New applications do not have an expiration date!!!!! This whole system was bad before, but I get the impression that this new chief is is not a friend to the Second amendment.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way about New Bedford. My LTC expires in early March 2014, I called the NBP Firearms division on the first week of September 2013, I was given an interview date in early February 2014. A 5 month wait. That is barely a month before my license expires. Since it is taking 8 to 10 weeks to get the license after the interview, their inability (deliberate or just incompetence) to keep up with the interviews will most likely cause me to not be able to carry for 4 to 6 weeks. Thankfully there is a 90 grace period, but I still cannot carry. I was told by the person that made my appointment that the chief does not give renewals priority....we have to wait like everyone else. New applications do not have an expiration date!!!!! This whole system was bad before, but this new chief is either incompetent or is not a friend to the Second amendment....or both.
Let's not forget how many calls have to be made before you actually get someone on the phone to make the appointment in the first place. It took me a solid week of calling 4 or 5 times a day before I lucked out and got someone. This city is something else.

I applied in Bridgewater in late Sept. At the time, officer said state of mass was no longer requiring fingerprints due to new PIN system.

Anyone else recently apply and not have prints taken? thanks...

- - - Updated - - -

I applied in Bridgewater in late Sept. At the time, officer said state of mass was no longer requiring fingerprints due to new PIN system.

Anyone else recently apply and not have prints taken? thanks...

I believe that Chief Mazzie was sincere in wanting to address the problems that let to all the unwanted publicity. Apply for your license, try to get an estimate on how long it will take and then email us at [email protected] if you don't have it in 40 days.

I no longer believe this is the case. I have been waiting now 153 days with no response from Everett PD. I find it hard to believe one LO is the cause of these problems in Everett, I think it is a conspiracy starting at the top.

I no longer believe this is the case. I have been waiting now 153 days with no response from Everett PD. I find it hard to believe one LO is the cause of these problems in Everett, I think it is a conspiracy starting at the top.

Yup.

Everett has been a problem for a very long time. No one wants to believe it though.

Another city in Massachusetts that is trying to drag it's feet as much as possible, so they hope you just give up, and don't even bother.

No city/town in MA will issue a LTC in 40 days. That's a damn joke.

Waiting 153 days without even a response?? What is being done about this?? This is ****ing ridiculous!!!!!

No city/town in MA will issue a LTC in 40 days. That's a damn joke.

Before the state started dragging serious ass it wasn't uncommon for many PDs to issue in under a month. Before Obamascare once in awhile you'd see someone get their permit in 10 days or less in a small town. (Back when the PDs still typed them up and they didn't go through CJIS).

-Mike

Not impossible but they do make you wait a year with your B, then you can reapply and"training wheels" Ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Reapply and get your A. They refer to it as "training wheels" which is indeed, ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Reapply and get your A. They refer to it as "training wheels" which is indeed, ridiculous.

It has now been 147 days since I applied in Everett (June 12th, 2013). The FRB line says that it is in Everett PDs hands now. I called the Everett PD business line and asked for Sgt. Spinale. I was told he is working but not in the station, and would I like to leave a message?. As soon as the officer heard that I was looking for a status on my LTC, he informed me the best way to approach it would be to send the Sgt. an email, and that his email address was located on the Everett PD firearms licensing site. I have just now written a very pleasant airy email to Sgt. Spinale asking for a status. I will be quite shocked if I get a reply anytime soon.

Update: As expected, I did not receive a reply to my first email. I waited seven days with no response. After seven days, I composed a second email, this one not quite so flowery, in which I informed my LO Sgt. Spinale that I would be waiting an additional seven days for a response, and after that , I would start calling Chief Mazzie, Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria, my state rep Wayne Matewsky, and my state senator Sal DiDomenico to get a status. I did not inform him I had also contacted Comm2A as well. Today (11/15/2013), the day after I sent this second email, I got a call from Sgt. Spinale first thing in the morning. His tone was aggressive, asking why I was threatening to call everyone in the state and saying these things take time you know. I informed him politely that it had been 155 days since I applied. I then asked him what the status of my application was to which he informed me that my app has been approved and is waiting for Chelsea to issue the license and pin. I must say his attitude was rude and aggressive, with no feeling of remorse for a process having taken four times as long as it is supposed to. Even if the length of time was completely out of Everett PD's hands Sgt. Spinale could have shown compassion for my long wait time and attempted to explain where the issue is, but he did not. I do not know how long it will take to actually get the license and pin, and he could not say.

To me, if it walks like a duck, shits like a duck, and tastes like a duck, it's a duck. I have read in these forums of relatively short lengths of time for LTC/FID processing in other communities, and I have had friends who applied for LTC/FID in other communities whose applications were processed in much shorter lengths of time. Therefore, I have to believe the problem in Everett is in the Everett PD itself, and that can only come from Chief Mazzie. I know Comm2a sued and won, but clearly the message has not been heard and obstruction is not only expected, it is the default policy handed down from the top.

Update: As expected, I did not receive a reply to my first email. I waited seven days with no response. After seven days, I composed a second email, this one not quite so flowery, in which I informed my LO Sgt. Spinale that I would be waiting an additional seven days for a response, and after that , I would start calling Chief Mazzie, Everett Mayor Carlo DeMaria, my state rep Wayne Matewsky, and my state senator Sal DiDomenico to get a status. I did not inform him I had also contacted Comm2A as well. Today (11/15/2013), the day after I sent this second email, I got a call from Sgt. Spinale first thing in the morning. His tone was aggressive, asking why I was threatening to call everyone in the state and saying these things take time you know. I informed him politely that it had been 155 days since I applied. I then asked him what the status of my application was to which he informed me that my app has been approved and is waiting for Chelsea to issue the license and pin. I must say his attitude was rude and aggressive, with no feeling of remorse for a process having taken four times as long as it is supposed to. Even if the length of time was completely out of Everett PD's hands Sgt. Spinale could have shown compassion for my long wait time and attempted to explain where the issue is, but he did not. I do not know how long it will take to actually get the license and pin, and he could not say.

To me, if it walks like a duck, shits like a duck, and tastes like a duck, it's a duck. I have read in these forums of relatively short lengths of time for LTC/FID processing in other communities, and I have had friends who applied for LTC/FID in other communities whose applications were processed in much shorter lengths of time. Therefore, I have to believe the problem in Everett is in the Everett PD itself, and that can only come from Chief Mazzie. I know Comm2a sued and won, but clearly the message has not been heard and obstruction is not only expected, it is the default policy handed down from the top.

Good for you!

Hopefully it comes quick, now that it was 'approved.' If it was me, I'd still call all of those people anyway, and ask what the hell is going on.

I hope it works out for you.

WHAT DOESN'T MASSACHUSETTS UNDERSTAND ABOUT 40 DAYS! I don't even think it specifies business days. And you waited so far, 155?!?!?!?!

Good for you!

Hopefully it comes quick, now that it was 'approved.' If it was me, I'd still call all of those people anyway, and ask what the hell is going on.

I hope it works out for you.

WHAT DOESN'T MASSACHUSETTS UNDERSTAND ABOUT 40 DAYS! I don't even think it specifies business days. And you waited so far, 155?!?!?!?!

I agree. All the folks on your list should still be notified and told that this level of performance is inexcusable and that the spoken disdain from a, paid with your tax money, public official is also inexcusable. We should remind them that they work for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom