Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the FRB about 4-5 weeks ago and then again today. There is no evidence of me being in the system.

I may try calling the Chief next. I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

Sounds like another city or town is sitting on applications, and not processing them. Big surprise there. When will someone do something about this??? What happened to the 40 day law in Massachusetts????

Minor update:

I've exchanged some e-mails with the Chief. I was careful in my e-mail to provide an objective rundown of my timeline to date, while also mentioning that I have been largely unsuccessful with speaking to the licensing officer. I didn't want to seem annoyed or frustrated in case that would affect my application, and I was curious to see if his response would give any indication as to whether he thinks 12 weeks with nothing to show for it is okay.

His response was friendly but brief. He is going to speak to the licensing officer to find out where my application is in the process. He said they have been flooded with applications since Newtown. Time to wait some more...

Minor update:

I've exchanged some e-mails with the Chief. I was careful in my e-mail to provide an objective rundown of my timeline to date, while also mentioning that I have been largely unsuccessful with speaking to the licensing officer. I didn't want to seem annoyed or frustrated in case that would affect my application, and I was curious to see if his response would give any indication as to whether he thinks 12 weeks with nothing to show for it is okay.

His response was friendly but brief. He is going to speak to the licensing officer to find out where my application is in the process. He said they have been flooded with applications since Newtown. Time to wait some more...

Plainville is listed as a red city in the OP, so this is not surprising at all.

Total BS, but does not surprise me. Good luck with the rest of the process.

Here's the issue with Plainville:

Aside from being a red town, the licensing officer is the dispatcher at the front of the station. He/she will require you to provide a letter as to why you deserve ALP. Make sure you address this letter to the Chief. This individual took my letter, opened it up, read it and continued to tell me that "ALP went out the window 20 years ago.." while chuckling. I applied for my license the day after Newtown because tha'ts when I had an appointment set up. That being said, it took me around four weeks and I received Restrictions: None.

Hopefully you have the same result but keep us posted.

Here's the issue with Plainville:

Aside from being a red town, the licensing officer is the dispatcher at the front of the station. He/she will require you to provide a letter as to why you deserve ALP. Make sure you address this letter to the Chief. This individual took my letter, opened it up, read it and continued to tell me that "ALP went out the window 20 years ago.." while chuckling. I applied for my license the day after Newtown because tha'ts when I had an appointment set up. That being said, it took me around four weeks and I received Restrictions: None.

Hopefully you have the same result but keep us posted.

This is now incorrect. The process has changed so that Sgt. Gallerani handles all new applicants and the dispatcher deals only with renewals. This appears to be the crux of my problem.

Last edited:
Possible Change in Amesbury

Comm2A received something about Amesbury. Apparently the LTC application packet now contains this:

2. All applicants,* including renewals* seeking an "unrestricted" license to carry firearms shall provide in writing (brief letter form), a detailed explanation of why they require such license and why they fear for their personal safety or their property, per M.G.L. C140-s131 (d). If not, it will be restricted.

This apparently new since last summer.

Start the clock, or calendar I guess. Framingham, April 25th: submitted completed app, including "reason(s) for requesting license", two personal references, two letters of recommendation, copy of gun safety certificate, proof of residency, copy of passport. Lady at the desk checked to make sure everything was in order, told me to come back May 9th for photo and prints, in the meantime a background check will be performed. I tried to pay my $100 but she said they will accept the fee only after the background check comes back. So there you go.

Met with Officer Modica in Waltham this morning. Took about 25 minutes to go through the paperwork and get fingerprinted. I applied for ALP and received Target & Hunting. He said the restrictions will get dropped when I renew in 6 years and that he would call me in about 8-12 weeks when my license was ready to be picked up. He also said that he's trying to convince the chief to issue unrestricted to first time applicants.

Met with Officer Modica in Waltham this morning. Took about 25 minutes to go through the paperwork and get fingerprinted. I applied for ALP and received Target & Hunting. He said the restrictions will get dropped when I renew in 6 years and that he would call me in about 8-12 weeks when my license was ready to be picked up. He also said that he's trying to convince the chief to issue unrestricted to first time applicants.

Unfortunately the "trying to convince the chief" line is bs. The waltham chief is appointed by the mayor of waltham and follows her policies. Our current mayor is pretty much made from the same cloth as the last mayor of waltham, who had the same "probationary first 6 years period" policy.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Another failure of a city, dicking around with peoples' 'right to bear arms' just because they feel like it. [rolleyes] [puke]

Maybe more cities and towns need to be sued to stop this. I don't ****ing get it.

Hasn't there been any progress on this front yet??? When are we as a state going to be at the point of being able to be licensed ALP??? I don't get it. Why should being licensed for 6 years matter, and then it's OK to erase the restrictions??

We should ALL get ALP right out of the gate. I am done with this ****ing state.

Last edited:
Maybe more cities and towns need to be sued to stop this. I don't ****ing get it.

Hasn't there been any progress on this front yet???

The courts don't run at internet speed. Have a little patience. Until the existing lawsuit is resolved, there's no point to filing redundant ones.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Wakefield Ma is green as green can get.

Submit application
Go to PD for fingerprints and photos (every tuesday from 8-12)
No interview
Class A Restrictions: None

- - - Updated - - -

Wakefield Ma is green as green can get.

Submit application
Go to PD for fingerprints and photos (every tuesday from 8-12)
No interview
Class A Restrictions: None

Plainville licensing officer still won't return my messages, and neither will the chief beyond the courtesy "I'll look into it". I'm going to explore some legal avenues, but I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait until I move in a year and make sure my new town is green and not difficult. I'm assuming that if no one will give me an idea of when I'm going to get an appointment after waiting 13 weeks then it's probably not going to happen at all.

Maybe some higher force is doing this to me so I spend all my money on my wedding...

Plainville licensing officer still won't return my messages, and neither will the chief beyond the courtesy "I'll look into it". I'm going to explore some legal avenues, but I'm guessing I'm just going to have to wait until I move in a year and make sure my new town is green and not difficult. I'm assuming that if no one will give me an idea of when I'm going to get an appointment after waiting 13 weeks then it's probably not going to happen at all.

Maybe some higher force is doing this to me so I spend all my money on my wedding...

Call an attorney. This is another town or CoP dicking you around. It's not right. Don't let them screw you, because that is exactly what they are doing. If you have the money for an attorney, get one.

State law dictates that they must issue or deny a license within 40 days.

At the very least, call Comm2A immediately, and let them know what's going on. They are dealing with Everett right now on this exact same thing from what I can remember.

Email Comm2A today!

ABINGTON needs to be red.

They only issue class A for employment purposes. Its on their website.

ABINGTON needs to be red.

They only issue class A for employment purposes. Its on their website.
That's not exactly what their site says:
Abington Police Department firearms information
If this isn't the same one you saw, do you have a link?

It is a bit confusing but it seems to list three classes: Employment, carrying large amounts of cash or merchandise, other. But what's important is not what the site says, but experiences of real applicants.

I think this thread's list goes by what real people have been experiencing.
Did you have a bad result?

GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey
GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey

Have you experienced a delay of 40+ days during your LTC/FID renewal process? If so please fill out our survey form!

GOAL is once again compiling evidence illustrating the broken Massachusetts licensing process.

Once compiled by the GOAL staff, these forms will be presented to MA Legislators at the State House by GOAL Executive Director Jim Wallace as evidence which perfectly illustrates the need for reform.

If you have experienced a delay of 40+ days during the renewal process, please take a minute to fill this form out, print it, and mail it to:

Attention Jim Wallace
Gun Owners' Action League
PO Box 567
Northborough, MA. 01532

Click here to download the printable GOAL LTC/FID Renewal Delay Survey Form.

Don't forget to start calling your elected officials. This is much more effective than you might think. The squeaky wheel gets greased and we've dealt with a number of people who's LTCs were expedited after the chief got an earful from the mayor or a selectman.

That's not exactly what their site says:
Abington Police Department firearms information
If this isn't the same one you saw, do you have a link?

It is a bit confusing but it seems to list three classes: Employment, carrying large amounts of cash or merchandise, other. But what's important is not what the site says, but experiences of real applicants.

I think this thread's list goes by what real people have been xperiencing.
Did you have a bad result?

Does anyone have any RESENT positive experiences?

Also, read what OTHER says:

Other – this category of applicant is reserved for those individuals who can demonstrate a compelling need for a Class "A" or "B" LTC other than the above categories. Typically, a person who can provide evidence that his/her life is endangered would be considered.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any RESENT positive experiences?

Also, read what OTHER says:

Other – this category of applicant is reserved for those individuals who can demonstrate a compelling need for a Class "A" or "B" LTC other than the above categories. Typically, a person who can provide evidence that his/her life is endangered would be considered.

Comm2A only has one survey response from this year. A new LTC - Unrestricted.

If you currently have a Class A LTC unrestricted and a Machine Gun License and move and own all those types of weapons would they be able to deny you those licenses?

If you currently have a Class A LTC unrestricted and a Machine Gun License and move and own all those types of weapons would they be able to deny you those licenses?

Of course. Each renewal is treated the same as any NEW application. Suitability, discretion (along with perhaps "we refuse to issue MG licenses to anyone") come into play each and every time you renew.

I am about to apply for a LTC Class A unrestricted in Everett. When I looked a few weeks ago at their website for instructions, it said the old "by appointment only, call this number and we'll get back to you", but I noticed last Friday that the site has been revamped and they now accept on a first come first serve basis, on the first and third Monday of the month between 5PM and 8PM, applications for firearms licenses without appointment. Does anyone have any details on this? It seems to be a step in the right direction. But of course it could just be throwing us a bone. I'm wondering if I should submit now or wait until I hear feedback on some recent applicants given the recent Grover vs. Mazzie win. Also, has anyone used their state rep or senator as a reference? I may be able to get a recommendation from one of them, do you think this would have more weight than average joe recommendation?

http://everettpolicema.com/ltc_fid_information.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom