GSG-1911 = Giggle Gun!

KBCraig

NES Member
Finally took my GSG-1911 (full size 1911 in .22LR) to the range today for break in. What a grin-producing gun that is! I have two magazines, but I can tell I need a couple more, and some range monkeys to keep them loaded for me. I could shoot that thing all day!

I was just shooting for fun and break-in, not accuracy, but at 10 yards I got groups of 10 ranging from 1.5" to fist sized. I shot Remington bulk ammo, Mini-Mags, Velocitor, Winchester standard velocity, Green Tag, Eley, and Remington subsonic. Everything shot consistently a bit to the right, so I do need to drift the rear sight a bit, but I'll save that for another day.

The only failures were when I was shooting the low velocity stuff, and let my thumb drag the slide so that it couldn't cycle properly. With high- and hyper-velocity ammo, normal thumb drag didn't cause any problems. Nothing failed to feed or fire. I mixed ammo brands and types in the same magazines, and it all worked perfectly.

I rolled a couple of tennis balls out to about 5 yards and had fun bouncing them around. When they got to 25 yards I could still hit them, but at 30 yards I couldn't even scare them.

I also took a brand-new Taurus 738 .380 out for break-in, and put 50 rounds of WWB flat-nose FMJ through it. Accuracy? Feh. With those microscopic bumps called "sights", who can tell? And who cares? It's a bad breath distance gun, point-and-shoot at 3 yards or less. At 10 yards, rapid fire, I easily kept all shots in the vital zone.

The trigger is surprisingly light. Except for the long take-up, it's excellent. Let-off is crisp, with no hitches or bumps.

It's snappy, as you'd expect for such a light gun. After another 50 rounds of FMJ, I'll try some defensive ammo.

I had two failures, in the first three magazines. Each time, the slide locked back without feeding the last round. After that, no problems. I'll shrug that off as a break-in and proper lubrication issue unless it happens again.

Two different guns, two different purposes, both fun to shoot.

But I really can't wait to spend more time playing with that GSG!

Thanks for making it easier for me to justify my next purchase. Did you get the traditional one or the tactical looking one with the fake can? I'm going to get one and suppress it for sure.

They're great guns. Mine runs 100% on Fed Bulk-pak.

15mif4j.jpg

28m1e1h.jpg

Love mine.

How true are they, repair/gunsmithing wise to a real 1911? Shared parts? How expensive are the mags? I'm going to need a dozen or so as I burn through .22 fast. It'll save me quite a bit of money on .45 acp.

I ran into a fellow at the Dade City, FL shooting range who had one of these GSG 1911 22s, and he let me try it. I liked it a lot. He runs a shooter's forum down in that neck of the woods and says there are many, many GSG shooters in that group.

What is the approximate cost one would pay for a GSG?

Thanks,
Rich

How true are they, repair/gunsmithing wise to a real 1911? Shared parts? How expensive are the mags? I'm going to need a dozen or so as I burn through .22 fast. It'll save me quite a bit of money on .45 acp.

I saw a statistic like 80%, but I think numbers like that are misleading. I can tell you most of the frame parts are interchangeable. I replaced the MSH (plus innards), thumb safety, grip safety, rear sight, and front sight with spare 1911 parts I had laying around, and stripped the Series 80 crap out of the frame and replaced them with the $5 spacer from Brownells.

I saw a statistic like 80%, but I think numbers like that are misleading. I can tell you most of the frame parts are interchangeable. I replaced the MSH (plus innards), thumb safety, grip safety, rear sight, and front sight with spare 1911 parts I had laying around, and stripped the Series 80 crap out of the frame and replaced them with the $5 spacer from Brownells.

That's about what I noted when I stripped it down, although I haven't replaced anything yet. I did remove the magazine safety while I had the MSH out, though.

I'm going to replace the sights, and bevel the back of the thumb safety, and remove the Series 80 the next time I have it stripped down. Probably put some nice wood grips on it too.

Back
Top Bottom