'Grid Down' Scenario: How Long Would You Last?

Dont forget everybodys electronic gunsafes [wink]

I actually read on SurvivalBlog that gun safes form a faraday cage naturally once grounded and all you have to do put a coffee can over the electronic key pad, everything in side will be OK. Just need to bond the can to the safe and secure it with duct tape. [rolleyes]

I actually read on SurvivalBlog that gun safes form a faraday cage naturally once grounded and all you have to do put a coffee can over the electronic key pad, everything in side will be OK. Just need to bond the can to the safe and secure it with duct tape. [rolleyes]

That (the coffee can) sounds a bit cumbersome, unless you know the date and time of the EMP attack.

Which is why I will always stick with a non-electric lock if at all possible. Not necessarily because I am afraid of an EMP attack I just figure the less I need to rely on fuel or electricity for things the better.

I have a couple of electronics safes, but they have key bypasses so they can be accessed independant of the electronic lock. The E-lock just provides faster access while the bypass key is in a combination lock safe.

Most gun safes form a poor faraday cage because they are coated with non-conductive finish coates. If you want your safe to be a good faraday cage, you'll want to remove the finish coat along the interior edge of the door and add a conductive gasketing material (copper braid around a foam core works really well, you can also get steel or copper "finger" strips). You want the door to make good electrical contact on both sides. If the hinges aren't piano-style continuous hinges, you may want to gasket the hinge side as well.

im lucky enough to have plenty of land with wood fuel and wildlife for food always have a vegetable garden and a rain collector. and I am well equipped to defend a mob for how long depends on the size and persistence of the mob. i have a generator and always have gas cans around so if i needed to run it sparingly for running tools or powering radios or other small items i would be able to run it for a while until i ran out of gas. but then i would try to make one of those smoke things that they did on the colony to fuel the generator.

Back
Top Bottom