• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Greetings and felicitations

And welcome to the NEW forum aimed (?) at the law enforcement community. Of course, everyone is invited to participate and take their best shots! [wink] Thanks to Derek for adding this forum! [smile]

I'll start the lineup with a brief history of my life behind the badge.

Joined the Village of New Rome (Frankling County, OH) as a Deputy Marshal in the summer of 1977. Cool title, but think small village. Very small village. Worked uniform (the County SO did any criminal investigations) for four years before moving on to bigger and better. The Village of New Rome was officially disbanded in 2005.

Joined the Clinton Township Police Dept in Feb 1981. Also located in Franklin County, in the northeast corner (one of the tougher areas). It was a tough place to work. 37 liquor establishments, mostly country-western and Go-Go bars (back before they invented lap dances). Low to upper middle class, with the project and trailer park thrown in for variety.

The night crew carried special, custom-made nunchukas (by the Sr Sergeant) in special sap pockets on our trousers. 14 inches long, 3/4 in square (3 in of lead in the end) and connected by parachute cord with just enough play to fold them together. They were VERY effective.

Worked uniform for several years and then in criminal investigations. Was a member of the Central Ohio Drug Task Force and was a certified insturctor for the Ohio Police Officer's Training Academy.

We carried the S&W heavy barrel .357 (I forget the model) in stainless, fixed sights. It was a great weapon. We then went to the new 4906 in 9mm, when they first came out. So new, no one made a holster yet. We all carried a backup of some sort, eventually going to the S&W 940 (9mm), 5-shot (moon-clip), hammerless. Great pocket gun. I still have mine.

At first (for me) the night crew carried the occasional M1 carbine or dbl sxs shotgun (my favorite) in the crusiers. Eventually we put away our toys and had Remington 870 with choate folding stocks in electric locks, muzzle down on the passenger side.

In November 1994, a tired truck driver from OK and I met in the middle of I-70 (Columbus) when he decided he wanted my lane more than I did and made my cruiser a hood ornament on his Kenworth. [hmmm] That's another story, but it needs visuals. [wink]

I retired in May 1995 after a knee operation and lots of therapy. I moved from Ohio to MA at the end of 1996 and here I am. [grin]

Who's next? What's next?

RJ

A glimpse of the past.

That's me, but its not the best pic, but unfortunatly, all that I have. It was a pic in the Columbus Dispatch as a cover for the small article about the road washing away. The two County Engineers (notice the stylish 80's pants) look at the hole and the creek beneath.[wink]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Yoak/MISC/PoliceRJ.jpg

Notice the Ford Pinto that just passed and my old pimpwagon size cruiser. [smile]

RJ

Last edited:
Nickle said:
That looks like it goes back a ways. And you weren't overly young then either. Not that it's a bad thing, since I'm not young anymore, either.

Well, it about 81 or 82, I don't remember, but looking at the sidearm, I'd say '81 as I hadn't gotten my stainless 357 yet.

In the Summer of '81 I was a mere 25+, aiming for 26 in December. Its the mustache. Makes me look older. [smile]

RJ

Jaxon,

Good to have you here.

We carried the S&W heavy barrel .357 (I forget the model) in stainless, fixed sights.

Sounds like a S&W Model 65, a really fine revolver from when S&W still made good products.

Adam_MA said:
Good LORD! Did they just step off the back 9 or what? [rofl]
LOL... who knows... County Engineers/Road Crew out there... DPW around here. It was summer and really hot. I was there for awhile as I recall. [grin]

RJ

Jaxon said:
County Engineers/Road Crew out there

THAT explains it...

I work with so many of the little freaky bastards you need say any more about their choice in wardrobe!

Yep, summer's a comin, and where I work... That means Color striped over the calf sports socks, "air Jesus" sandals, cargo shorts (3 sizes too small, and 5" too short) and a button up crew neck shirts. All NON matching colors of course!
Yep, those engineers are interesting little creatures.. That's for sure! [smile]

Adam

Garys said:
How long did it take those two to decide that was a hole they were looking at?

Gary

I think they were merely fascinated by the power of nature against mere mortal construction. [wink]

RJ

Well on a personal level let me thank you for your public service, I'm glad that you survived your career.

Now why is it that the LEOs have to have their own little forum ? Too good to mix with the civilians ? It's bad enough that we have to pay for stuff that used to be free (my money is coming Derek) but now you "badge people" have to have your own little forum ? Aren't there plenty of LEO forums and websites already out there ?

There are just too many LEOs out there (at least in the Northeast) who just plain don't like law abiding citizens owning and carrying firearms. Probably none on this forum, though, at least I hope not.

Oh, don't mind me cuz I'm
Mark aka Liberal Pussy, Sheeple, Crybaby/Whiner

mark056 said:
Well on a personal level let me thank you for your public service, I'm glad that you survived your career.

Now why is it that the LEOs have to have their own little forum ? Too good to mix with the civilians ? It's bad enough that we have to pay for stuff that used to be free (my money is coming Derek) but now you "badge people" have to have your own little forum ? Aren't there plenty of LEO forums and websites already out there ?

There are just too many LEOs out there (at least in the Northeast) who just plain don't like law abiding citizens owning and carrying firearms. Probably none on this forum, though, at least I hope not.

Oh, don't mind me cuz I'm
Mark aka Liberal Pussy, Sheeple, Crybaby/Whiner

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it.

As for the forum, I asked Derek if we could have one. As you can see, I'm on many of the same threads you are, but since LEO stuff can be more specific I thought it might work better as it owns forum. Maybe not. It seems to work for the Military people so we're giving it a try.

Yes, there are plenty of LEO sites outthere, but that only seperates the "badge people" from the civilians even more. And since I use to be one of those and now on the civilian side, I can see where that isn't necessarily a good thing.

I find the LEO culture here in the NE very, very different from my time back on the frontier. I 'm not sure if its a lack of experience in the small towns or that society and its extreme religious background has fostered this feeling.

I really hated finding guns on people or glove compartments back in the day, but never quesitoned the right to have one - just the right to have one when I was trying to arrest them. [wink]

I can talk the talk and walk the walk (mostly), but that doesn't mean I have blinders on. I'll tell another LEO he's wrong, or that something done was wrong, or worse - stupid.

So, that's where I'm at. Your milage may vary. [grin]

RJ

Jaxson, Mark. Mark, Jaxon. Oh I see you already met!
Mark, if you're gonna use "Crybaby" in your signature line, could you at least attribute it to me? Thanks!

JonJ said:
Damn! Don't you have to milk the cows of something?

Shh, don't say that too loud. Brent is still cranky about the time I bet him five bucks he couldn't milk my uncles bull. Best five bucks I've ever spent. [devil2]

derek said:
Shh, don't say that too loud. Brent is still cranky about the time I bet him five bucks he couldn't milk my uncles bull. Best five bucks I've ever spent. [devil2]

He didn't even bother to tell me to wear saftey glasses.

[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom