Great Opportunity for you guys that don't want your guns

I'd be surprised if that ad lasts long before its flagged and removed.

The word "gun" frightens most of the lefties on CL.

I wouldn't want to take any from someone without a license. THAT could mean a world of hurt....G_d only knows where it may have been.

I wouldn't want to take any from someone without a license. THAT could mean a world of hurt....G_d only knows where it may have been.

+1
Does anyone know if there are legal implications in purchasing from an unlicensed owner? That could be a thread on its own in the gun laws section.

Said transactions are NOT legal! Just his ad alone could bring him unwanted attention (e.g. AG, MSP, etc. making him an offer . . . to the Gray Bar Hotel)!

Not a very bright bulb at all.

Said transactions are NOT legal! Just his ad alone could bring him unwanted attention (e.g. AG, MSP, etc. making him an offer . . . to the Gray Bar Hotel)!

Not a very bright bulb at all.

He does not state it and he probably is not but what if he is a FFL holder?

Now you have me curious, what is illegal about advertising for Free Firearms or ones you would pay a $1 for? What law is being broken? I am not from Mass so the above quote got me real curious.....

IANAL but I believe the illegal part is the purchaseing/recieving of guns from individuals who are not licensed.

Ripach

Wouldn't it be more of an illegal situation for the seller to be selling and not the guy buying? Or does the guy buying have to act as Agent of the State of Mass and do all of the Mass Footwork, such as run serial numbers etc etc and if he does would he not be legally able to buy the firearm if the serial numbers check out etc? I am confused about the issue where it is illegal for him to advertise or even buy.. WOW! Has it gotten that bad? I have bought guns privately and I never even asked where the guy was from etc. didn't care, only cared about what I was buying..... I traded an Air Compressor for an old Korea War vintage M1 Carbine, an Underwood, excellent shape, guy had no clue what he had and he needed an Air Compressor and I wanted the Carbine.

In MA the only LEGAL "private transactions" are between TWO LICENSED RESIDENTS!

If one is NOT Licensed, the only legal transaction would have to be done thru an FFL.

So if this guy is an FFL, he could do this. But NOT stating such leaves him open to a "sting" that he so justly deserves (especially for his generosity of a whole $1/gun)!

Per Fed Law, NO private transactions are legal unless both parties reside in the same state. So, buying guns from someone (or making a trade) without ID or asking where the person lives, leaves you open to a possible "all expense paid vacation in Club Fed"! Likely to happen, probably not (in "free states"), but worth the risk? Only you can decide.

I supose that the gentleman in the ad could tell the person to bring the firearm to their local FFL and then pay the transfer fee. Wouldn't that be legeal. I'm sure that there are many older housewives who had husbands die and leave behind guns; or men like my father that has an old bolt action shotgun that has sat in his closet for the last 30-40 years and has been shot about 5 times by his father who has been dead for years.

any thoughts on this?

Len, thank you for the great explanation it would have taken me hours to come up with something half assed that didn't explain it half as well.

Tater, an unlicensed person transporting it to a local FFL could get a felony charge for the effort. No, it must be transported by a licensed person (LTC or FFL).

Ripach, I just try to keep people educated and out of trouble. Glad to help.

Lens

In MA the only LEGAL "private transactions" are between TWO LICENSED RESIDENTS!

If one is NOT Licensed, the only legal transaction would have to be done thru an FFL.

So if this guy is an FFL, he could do this. But NOT stating such leaves him open to a "sting" that he so justly deserves (especially for his generosity of a whole $1/gun)!

Per Fed Law, NO private transactions are legal unless both parties reside in the same state. So, buying guns from someone (or making a trade) without ID or asking where the person lives, leaves you open to a possible "all expense paid vacation in Club Fed"! Likely to happen, probably not (in "free states"), but worth the risk? Only you can decide.

Ok! Call me slow or call me stupid, Par TWO contradicts par ONE.

So when Mass wrote the first TWO Paragrapghs were they NOT aware of the Federal Law? Simply put if the Feds say ALL PRIVATE TRANSACTIONS have to be done by parties in the same state. Then if they are both from Mass and Mass says GOTH have to be Licensed, then how the Hell can one NOR possibly be licensed so the other can do the transaction with an FFL?

Maybe it is based on the meaning RESIDE. How do the Feds even think they could ENFORCE that law if there are no records and no one complies? If there are over 30 million Firearm Transactions per year and all the Law Enforcement People are too busy doing Background checks for the Brady Bill Enforcement or setting up a Data Base for the Projectile Finger Printing, who is left to enforce and give speeding tickets and come after me cuz I traded an Air Compressor to John Doe??? WOW! The LAW that is enforced by the FEAR FACTOR. I don’t know anyone who has ever asked for an ID, Proof of residence etc when doing a Private Trade or a Private Purchase. I guess they will have to arrest me and spend countless dollars trying to track what I can’t remember.

So many countries fell under Hitler because they went to where records were kept and found who had firearms and focused on them first. Many fled and formed the War Wining Undergrounds and Resistance Fighters.

WORTH THE RISK you ask? Yes! By the Jes— it is and maybe because there is so many who refuse to comply is why there are FREE STATEs and NOT FREE STATES. They have PROBABLE CAUSE and if they think I am guilty of any criminal activities,. other than buying and selling a few firearms then they can get a WARRANT. My Govt sells to other countries, I only BUY and SELL from Fellow Americans.

Use to be handcuffs were only for protection of the officers, I just read where they hand cuffed a 7 year old and seem to be doing it now as G.P. They seem to draw their guns now even for someone who is running, and from watching a lot of COPS on TV, they seem to justify in shooting if you are fleeing, even if there is no crime detected at the moment. Talk about Germany? Series after series, I hear the Cop say, “LET”S CHECK THIS OUT AND SEE WHAT THEy ARE UP TO” We seem to be already there. Cops use to be a REACTIONARY force and not a PREVENTATIVE FORCE, Prevention was ONLY done by EXPOSURE and not actions.

Guilty for what you MAY DO or MAY have DONE not for WHAT YOU HAVE DONE. Randy Weaver lost a Wife and kid because of a suspicion of a Shotgun being too short. The ATF has WAY too much self-imposed power. Prohibition ended because the PEOPLE chose NOT to comply.[rules]

I'm going to go one better, and offer anyone here $2 for any guns they don't want. Is your safe overflowing? Just never get time to shoot that old USGI M1 Carbine or original Winchester ? Must have LTC or FID, FFL transfer required. Eastern MA. [grin]

Even if MA laws didn't require "firearm registration" of EVERY TRANSACTION, I (personally) would still demand ID before doing a transaction. I want to know who I am buying from or selling to and record that in a private bill of sale document, both parties sign and get a copy each.

I never buy stolen goods, and if something I bought should ever turn up to have been stolen property, I want all my bases covered. Just a personal CYA.

YMMV

I Never buy stolen goods either.

and I NEVER

ask for Positive ID
State of Legal Residence
Any Priors?
Take Fingerprints
Ask to See FFL or LTC or whatevers
Rarely even write a Bill of sale

So arrest me...... 12 million plus Illegal Aliens in this Country and street gangs on every corner and I am the one they are worried about?????

I ask to see their LTC which is required for doing the FA-10 anyway. That information is good enough for me since I keep a copy.

So arrest me...... 12 million plus Illegal Aliens in this Country and street gangs on every corner and I am the one they are worried about?????

Because you would be an easy target.

Remember, the DA, ADA, and AG jobs in this state are NOT to put dangerous people into jail, but to develop a resume to put themselves into higher office. Sure, there are some good people out there doing good work, but there are also plenty of people looking for that next step into a better public position.

You would be an easy case to show just how hard they are on criminals who traffic in guns. Make no mistake about it, real criminals do not fear the justice system because they have so little to lose. You and me have everything to lose and THEY know it.

Wingwiper, while your sentiments may ring true to the heart, it does not to the brain. I'm not willing to risk everything I have over saving a few bucks by doing an illegal FTF transfer. And Chris is right in that many DAs and AGs will come down hard on you just to enhance their careers.

That said, Chris I believe Wingwiper is a VT resident so he doesn't really understand.

I also disagree with the sentiments that we should be ignoring the laws and thereby make them go away. Law abiding citizens follow the laws not because they're afraid of the consequences, but simply because following the law is what we're supposed to be doing in the first place.

I also disagree with the sentiments that we should be ignoring the laws and thereby make them go away.

I don't think anyone ever said that was possible. I don't think wingwiper
believes that ignoring the laws will make them go away. He probably
does believe it is dumb, though, that we have to do the crap we have to
do down here- whereas in like NH, ME, or VT, you just put cash over the
table and the gun comes the other way... and that happens just about
all the time in the free states. Guns are no different than a fishing pole
or a bicycle in a free state.

Law abiding citizens follow the laws not because they're afraid of the consequences, but simply because following the law is what we're supposed to be doing in the first place.

In this case it's a little bit different- do we obey laws that by definition,
are an infringement upon our civil rights? I only obey "gun laws"
because the price for violating them is extremely high- it is a risk I do
not want to assume. Otherwise, mostly they're just a bunch of "malum prohibitum"
type of crap- eg, something which is illegal only because someone said it was
illegal, not because it has a clear moral or logic based reason to be
illegal. (and this is even, temporarily, ignoring the fact that gun ownership
is a constitutional RIGHT).

Legislators devalue the meaning of LAW when they dilute it through
passing needless and unecessary laws- malum prohibitum crap only
exists to increase the contempt that the public has for the "system" and
more than likely ends up weakening its strength as a whole.

-Mike

Chris

You are soooo right, it isn't about the people's Best Interest or whether it is right or wrong it REALLY is about seeking a re-election or the next level of office. Once Bernie got in, he has been 180 degrees from what he ran on and the people are so stupid, they actually think he is doing a good job and time and time again when I tell them Bernie did this or that, they tell me "Well he helped my Brother in his farm business or whatever?" The Peopl eare more or less ignorant and the Power Seekers take full advantage of their ignorance.

vellnueve

Yes! I am from Vt and No! you are very right, I do not understand. I am surprised to hear someone from Mass tell me it isn't smart to ignore the laws to make them go away. If it wasn't for people in Mass doing EXACTLY that, we would still be bowing to Royalty... It is called taking a stand and after reading so many posts HERE on these boards SUPPORTING the guy in New Hampshire for Taking a BIgger stand against paying his taxes. I am surprised at all you Paul Reveres..... I am not trying to sound hard, but that guy in N.H. has a lot more to lose for the stand he is taking. If everyone takes the stand who is going to go after you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom