Great Northern Sports Center, Derry NH

I stopped by this shop last week for the first time and my experience wasn't exactly positive. I went in looking for .223 and a couple of things for my AR.

When I asked the woman behind the counter if they had any .223 she said "there's a sign over on your right that has the prices" and went back to what she was doing. And when I asked if they had any AR mags she kind of tilted her head towars a case behind me. The prices were nothing special.

After that I looked around for a bit and while they had some antique guns that were fairly priced I was not going to give them my business. Not much pisses me off but if they're unwilling to even pretend they want to make a sale, I'll go elsewhere.

This place is just around the corner from my mothers house. I've been there twice, once asking about repair work and another asking about transfers. Both times I felt as if I were a burden in the clerk, a similair experiance to Mr. Weebles above. They've been there since I can remeber so they must be doing something right, although I'm not sure what.

Hubby and I were in there on Friday. There was a man and woman in there behind the counter - man came out of the back with a magazine and was looking through it while we were looking. Ed asked him a couple questions about stuff and he never once looked up from the magazine. His answers were short and clipped. He looked at me and said, "we're out of here". We've been in there a couple other times and every time they've been standoffish or rude. Ed was looking for something specific and we took the day to visit every gun store in NH up to Concord that we could find. They were on our way home and we figger'd "what the heck..." No more. Not even if I'm desparate. Friday sealed their fate with me.

Similar experiences, to tell you the truth they make Al's in Derry seem professional

I use to go there years ago. The owner and his wife are less than hospitable. That was 15+ years ago. Never went back.

First couple of times I stopped off, owners did not say much which was fine with me, just wanted to look around. However, last two times I was in there she seemed very nice and polite. I saw them at a gun show a few years back and he was cold and stand off-ish, almost rude, as others here in the forum have descirbed. A little strange for proprietors of a retail business, do not know why they are like that.

My GF had our first experience with them at a recent (manchester) gun show. The owner was upset that she handled his handguns (we were shopping at the time for something to fit her hand) and didn't place them back on the table as straight as he had them. His tone of voice was downright rude. At first I thought it was just because of the show, maybe he was tired and upset about something.

I've driven by this shop more times than I could count, so I finally decided to stop in and see what he had. I basically got the same cold treatment and attitude that I remember from the gun show. Not friendly or helpful at all. The woman (wife I assume) came out of the back room and stated that they were now closed as dinner was waiting. Ok... I left.

My gf wanted to see what they had to offer, so the two of us went in to the shop again. This time the two (man and woman) were there. Another customer was also in the shop. They were not very friendly to us again. We both decided not to go in there anymore.

The shop is in Derry, so maybe someone can edit the title of this thread to correct it so people won't be confused.

With customer service like that, I have to wonder how he's remained in business so long.

The shop is in Derry, so maybe someone can edit the title of this thread to correct it so people won't be confused.

With customer service like that, I have to wonder how he's remained in business so long.

Done.

Most likely a tax write off...that's gotta be the only reason.

Is this the same place as the old Derry Trading Post that was in business way back in the 60's, early 70's? Bought my first .22 rifle there for around $12.00. I seem to remember it was on Rt. 102 somewhere.

Last edited:
I just stopped into this place today, I told him I had heard about him on a message board and thought that someone had recommended him (I guess I was thinking of another place, oops)

When I walked in the owner greeted me asked if I was looking for anything specific. I said no and he said to let him know if I needed anything. He walked away to go look at his computer, but not sourly.
After a couple minutes of nosing around his displays I asked to look at a couple 9mm's and he seemed more than happy to oblige. I had my wife and our 3 month old son with me and he was very warm and friendly to both of them. He showed me a few more guns I let my wife handle them as well, and the owner discussed some of the pros and cons of each. I wasn't too keen on his prices; $399 for a S&W Sigma SW9VE, his Keltec P11 was a little better at $299 but even that is still high in my opinion.

So, in spite of the reviews I found the place to be good. The place was neat and organized. He had a good selection of hand guns. Although his prices seemed a bit high, I didn't actually buy anything so I'm not sure if I could have talked him down.

Over all it was a positive experience, I would go back again.

Stopped in for the first (and last) time over the weekend. I brought a gun I wanted to trade. He looked at it and asked me how much I wanted. I told him the price I wanted and he just pushed the gun back at me and said "not interested". I asked what he would be willing to give me and he simply said "we're not even on the same ballpark!Not interested. You can take it and walk on out the door". WHAT???? What an ass. I drove five minutes away to Al's Guns in Derry showed Al the gun I wanted to trade. He asked how much I wanted, I told him the same price I told Great Northern. Al looked at it a little more and then said. "That's fair, no problem at all."

What a difference. I'll never even look at Great Northern again...

People have said Al is a bit grumpy, but I have dealt with Al on numerous occasions and as unique as he is, he is 1000 percent better than Great Northern.

Put me in the "one and done" column when it comes to Great Northern, There are too many great gun shops around to deal with their attitude

I live right around the corner from the shop. I once went in to sell a G19 3rd Gen and after I explained it just had all new springs and stuff, he gives a smirk and goes "It's a $150 gun. You did all that stuff to it that it doesn't need, so it's only worth $150. You won't sell it for more than that." I left and sold it for $425 with holster online.

The husband has always given me an attitude when I've gone in. The wife was always nice but if he's there, I'll usually just walk out. I won't even stop at his table anymore when I'm working/attending a gunshow he's at.

She's one of the MOST nasty, condescending , and pompous Xsses imaginable ! Allegedly runs the shop w her ex husband . That's what I know from many years ago . Don't know if ownership has changed , BUT it'd be quite a coincidence to have ANOTHER just like her ! !

Is this the place that doesn't want you carrying guns into the shop?

No loaded guns, yeah. I ALWAYS make sure I'm carrying when I've gone there, for spite. Even if pistol was in console of my car I put in on when i go in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I stopped in there for the first time today, but didn't read any of these reviews beforehand.
The parking lot was nearly empty when I arrived, with only one other customer in the store.
I noticed a decent but moderate selection of pistols, shotguns and rifles, with several AR's in the rack.
The prices seemed a bit high, but not outrageous.
The woman working the shop seemed nice enough, but maybe a bit surly with her answers to my questions.
I spotted a magazine marked "Colt Woodsman" in the case and I told her I had a First Model made in 1931.
She told me she had a personal collection of many Woodsman models, but couldn't tell me if that particular mag would fit a First Model. I've researched them and know that the mags are not interchangeable between 1st, 2nd and 3rd models.
Their ammo selection was actually pretty good, including many hard to find and obsolete calibers.
Much of the ammo didn't have price tags, I didn't really need anything so I didn't bother her by asking.
They did had a little bit of .22 ammo on the shelf, which was marked, but the prices were staggering.
By the door there were about a dozen cases (1k rounds) of Tula 7.62x39, but at $329 a case I wasn't interested.
I wouldn't say it was a complete waste of time stopping in, but I likely won't go back anytime soon.

I stopped by there about a month ago for shiners. At the time they had quite a bit of .22 .223 etc at not bad prices for the time. Granted ammo prices and availability have changed since then, but I thought their prices were decent.

Go to Al‘s instead or head toward Windham to Second Amendment Arms, LLC.

Guys at S.A.A are great. Havent been there in probably 4 or 5 months, so not sure how the availability issue is, but the guys behind the counter were nothing like what Ive heard about at Great Northern. Just a few miles south down 28.

Jeff, is a fantastic guy! Always very fair with prices and very helpful with info. Really can't say either about Great Northern and have been there a number of times

Back
Top Bottom