Gray Man Theory

How does one "gray man" and also carry things they might need in this type of hypothetical? I understand the benefits of not sticking out, but if I had to traverse a crowded area where there was potential to have to defend myself, and I knew that ahead of time, I'd gear up as required.
Going out looking like a security guard is going to get your ass kicked. If you have purple hair, face tattoos and piercings in every hole you can walk right through the crowd no problem. The gray man theory doesn't work that great in post Hart-Celler, post America, at least not anywhere where you would need it. You can put on a flannel shirt and paint stained jeans and walk around VT in total safety.

How does one "gray man" and also carry things they might need in this type of hypothetical? I understand the benefits of not sticking out, but if I had to traverse a crowded area where there was potential to have to defend myself, and I knew that ahead of time, I'd gear up as required.

Little Marxists carry their crap in a fanny pack over the shoulder. This is a trend with the college crowd as well, at least the wanna-be-cool kids.

fashion-fanny-pack-man-fanny-pack.jpg

Years ago while visiting my brother in the LA area when he was still in cheap apartment I went out to pick up Chinese to go. I thought I would take a shortcut back and ended up unknowingly walking through a gang controlled block right in the middle of a war between two gangs, with shenanigans happening every night. Locals were keeping watch but didn't give me a second glance. I was dressed like a non-gang average SoCal guy in jeans and surf shop T-shirt, walking with a purpose, and carrying big bags that were obviously Chinese take-out. LOL I think the Chinese take-out bags were really what made me invisible, even as a white guy in a 90% non-white neighborhood.

Going out looking like a security guard is going to get your ass kicked. If you have purple hair, face tattoos and piercings in every hole you can walk right through the crowd no problem. The gray man theory doesn't work that great in post Hart-Celler, post America, at least not anywhere where you would need it. You can put on a flannel shirt and paint stained jeans and walk around VT in total safety.

That shouldn't be a problem. I don't own any "tactical" clothing. But say things were popping off in a full scale city-wide riot, and I had to get from my place to a safer place. I'd certainly grab my bugout bag at minimum, and that's not exactly nondescript.

You need to figure that out based on your requirements and environment.

That shouldn't be a problem. I don't own any "tactical" clothing. But say things were popping off in a full scale city-wide riot, and I had to get from my place to a safer place. I'd certainly grab my bugout bag at minimum, and that's not exactly nondescript.
If it is that bad then you are going shoot anyone that comes closer than 10'? 20'? Whether or not they deserve it, right?
Or dress up like a garish drag queen and escape on a one wheel no one will f' w you, unless they are really gay. I'm going to start a security consulting company called Drag Man. How to escape unrest by looking like a hideous tranny so no one wants anything to do with you.

They make some pretty cool stuff to help in this. Back packs that dont look tacticool. Just a plain color typical backpack that has a spot you can stick body armor in it, not as capable as a plate carrier or vest but better than nothing. It was designed for students in an active shooter situation.

I dont think many people or at least gun guys go out in public like they are on a combat patrol in Afghanistan. The whole concept in my opinion is just getting the F’k out of an area where a riot erupts, I mean if your shopping in downtown Portland at night and crowds of Antifags and BLM start doing their thing just get out, this whole idea of blending in is not an issue if your going against the crowd leaving the area of unrest I would think. Nobody is going to give a shit unless you got a Trump Hat on. Street smarts and situational awareness usually is the best recipe regardless of you happen to have a multi cam backpack in street clothes.

Your tactical gear is for when you can't slip away in plainclothes concealed carrying with the rest of your gear in a bag or suitcase. Once it's a stand up fight, you are screwed anyway so being "grey" doesn't matter. But until you are at that point it's better to look like any other ordinary person in the neighborhood and GTFO if you have some other place to go.

Donut receipts are to prevent employee theft. Some stores up the anti with "your purchase free if we fail to give you a receipt" to enlist the customer's assistance in reporting short-ringing to the boss.

"Stick... meet mud."...

1605718913451.png 1605718962448.png
[rofl2]

Isn't the gray man concept the idea of being a concealed carry holder? To blend into a crowd and be the person that no one would ever suspect is carrying and capable? No visible signs of wealth, no eye contact but situationally aware, etc?
That is me to a Tee. [laugh] No visible signs of wealth because I don't have any wealth. Just a harmless, nondescript, completely forgettable, little old man who fades into the background seamlessly wherever I go... just like a ghost. 👻 Invisible is very cool. [thumbsup]

I think you're missing the concept.

Grey Men don't go into those kinds of situations with the intention of remaining grey.

The concept is that you're already in a bad sitch. You get caught at work, say, when TEOTWAWKI happens. The usual scenario is that you're traversing some area in order to get to a known location, like your home or your bugout location or your car or something. In that situation, the Grey Man tries to blend in until he can get to that location. You're not leaving someplace and jocking up to plunge into the maw of the Antifa city; you're just trying to get from Point A to Point B with as little grief as possible. Grey Man is a state of mind and a type of behavior, not a specific tactic.

TL;DR: if you're in a situation where you need to carry "things you might need," then it's not the right time to be the Grey Man.

I think you're missing the concept.

Grey Men don't go into those kinds of situations with the intention of remaining grey.

The concept is that you're already in a bad sitch. You get caught at work, say, when TEOTWAWKI happens. The usual scenario is that you're traversing some area in order to get to a known location, like your home or your bugout location or your car or something. In that situation, the Grey Man tries to blend in until he can get to that location. You're not leaving someplace and jocking up to plunge into the maw of the Antifa city; you're just trying to get from Point A to Point B with as little grief as possible. Grey Man is a state of mind and a type of behavior, not a specific tactic.

TL;DR: if you're in a situation where you need to carry "things you might need," then it's not the right time to be the Grey Man.

Thanks. That does frame it in a way that I at least understand, but seems like a weird concept to make a "thing". Aren't we all by default gray man coming out of work? I'd look like any other 40 year old salary man. Looking over "gray man tactics" on websites, most of it seems so obvious that it doesn't need to be stated. Basically, don't be Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando.

Thanks. That does frame it in a way that I at least understand, but seems like a weird concept to make a "thing". Aren't we all by default gray man coming out of work? I'd look like any other 40 year old salary man. Looking over "gray man tactics" on websites, most of it seems so obvious that it doesn't need to be stated. Basically, don't be Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando.

You're exactly right. Which is why the whole concept of having "training" for it is kind of funny to me.

Still, OP gets a LOT better PD than I get at my work.

I'm a Grey man...

You can keep the Red...

1605738684087.png
1605738983057.png

Last edited:

It may not mean THAT much to your average Dunks, it can add up. Especially if you don't police it and the theft expands.

I recall working a coffee shop back in HS. The owner - a nice Greek lady - fired a waitress after catching her pocketing the $ from some regular that would stop in for a cup of coffee. Coffee was 50c back then. He'd leave a dollar. The waitress would just pocket the dollar.

While 50c doesn't sound like much, about 47c of that was PROFIT. The restaurant was not the most profitable enterprise in the world. The waitress was stealing. And got fired for it.

So go back to that Dunkin. Same issue. Stealing the $3 for a coffee and donut is taking the profit for that store. Cost of that product is probably 65c. Forget if the guy is a struggling immigrant or someone who owns 58 Dunks. It's the same issue. Do what you can to find out who is stealing. Implement measures to minimize as much as possible.

It may not mean THAT much to your average Dunks, it can add up. Especially if you don't police it and the theft expands.

I recall working a coffee shop back in HS. The owner - a nice Greek lady - fired a waitress after catching her pocketing the $ from some regular that would stop in for a cup of coffee. Coffee was 50c back then. He'd leave a dollar. The waitress would just pocket the dollar.

While 50c doesn't sound like much, about 47c of that was PROFIT. The restaurant was not the most profitable enterprise in the world. The waitress was stealing. And got fired for it.

So go back to that Dunkin. Same issue. Stealing the $3 for a coffee and donut is taking the profit for that store. Cost of that product is probably 65c. Forget if the guy is a struggling immigrant or someone who owns 58 Dunks. It's the same issue. Do what you can to find out who is stealing. Implement measures to minimize as much as possible.
"Fart...meet church"...

1605798985872.png 1605800252050.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom