• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Gray Man Theory

Read up on the old SOE/OSS Manual from the 1940s. Plenty about going gray in here, all the basics. It's a fantastic history artifact for WW2 and the cold war, loaded with information.

An old spook, assuming they ever really retire, told me it was easy to be stealthy up to the 60's because everybody wore a suit, the bankers, the bums, everyone. Try to fit in with the mob nowadays and you can get lynched for cultural appropriation.

What a brand new, revolutionary concept. It's not like the actual ninja, hundreds of years ago, had a tactic called Yonin, that did exactly what they're trying to sell you as "gray man" concept.

What a brand new, revolutionary concept. It's not like the actual ninja, hundreds of years ago, had a tactic called Yonin, that did exactly what they're trying to sell you as "gray man" concept.

Meh. Every generation "rediscovers" Sun Tzu, too. I can remember when, during the first Gulf War one of the network talking heads said, "American commanders are reading a hundreds-of-years old Chinese war manual!"

A friend's brother was at West Point. At the family home, I perused the bookcase...there was plenty of war-theory books, but a couple were missing. I asked, "Where's Clausewitz, and Sun Tzu?" Reply: "Oh, he keeps those with him!" [laugh]

I this a Wheel of Time reference?

Robert Jordan’s literary gray men were inspired by this real-world concept, but far more badass.

Gray Men, also known as Soulless, are creatures of the Shadow used as assassins. Wolves call them Notdead. Unlike most types of Shadowspawn, however, a Gray Man is not a construct. They begin as ordinary men (and women, though allegedly rarely) who have not only pledged their soul as a Darkfriend but given their souls to the Dark One. After this process, they become almost completely unnoticeable. While the Gray Men are not invisible in the literal sense, even the gaze of alert eyes will slide right over them.

They are highly effective assassins because of their ability to pass completely unnoticed, whether in busy public areas or infiltrating heavily guarded private quarters. The victim himself generally does not realize the presence of a Gray Man until he is struck. Witnesses to the murder often report seeing the victim fall and yet still failing to see the Gray Man killer.

In the north east I feel having a good concept of grey man tactics is the only way to survive in a collapse. Bugging out isn’t for us. I’ve heard of Mainers planing on not letting out of towners in during unrest times we have already had.

time to buy some skinny jeans and communist sympathizer shirts youknowhatimean

Isn't the gray man concept the idea of being a concealed carry holder? To blend into a crowd and be the person that no one would ever suspect is carrying and capable? No visible signs of wealth, no eye contact but situationally aware, etc?

The first thing on the list in my well-rehearsed SHTF scenario?

1605702232183.png

I've got three cans ready to go in my basement. I'll just spray myself. Then I'll grab my ruck and head out.

No, seriously, I didn't think the Grey Man concept was particularly revolutionary or new. I've been reading about it for years and living it for decades. I sorta figured everyone on NES did this...

How does one "gray man" and also carry things they might need in this type of hypothetical? I understand the benefits of not sticking out, but if I had to traverse a crowded area where there was potential to have to defend myself, and I knew that ahead of time, I'd gear up as required.

Back
Top Bottom