got the rifle...now need help with the glass

First off i want to thank all you guys who helped me with the process of buying my first m1a! your opinions and advice made the process of selecting and securing the right rifle rather easy

now i must call on you gentleman again for some advice

im looking to put an ENTRY level scope system on this rifle which is gonna require 3 things

scope mount
scope
rings

SA has their 3rd generation mount for about $125
Smith enterprises also have a few different mounts for a lil bit more money...the one im looking to get is the model NSN 5855-01-506-5750 which is supposedly the number one selling scope mount to the military...they have a few other mounts id consider but for $300 this one seems like the most suitable

any suggestions/input on the mounts?

now for the scope...i know this rifle deserves a scope that cost more than the gun itself but funds dont currently allow that and i also have a friend who is a marine sniper trying to secure me a schmidtt bender for CHEAP money (ive asked him about optics for the gun but he only shot the .50 while he was in the sandbox)

anyways...since the only type of optics im familiar with are cqb sights like eotech and aimpoint im lost here...at one point i though leupold was the king of scopes but i guess things have changed since the last scope i put on a hunting rifle a few years ago

i was thinking of a super sniper...just so that i may have a decent piece of glass on the gun...thats between $300-$400
i know everyone talks about IOR Valdada scopes and i was thinking of getting one of their lower end scopes like the IOR 4x24 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope for about $450...only thing is i believe these scopes are built for specific calibers only so if i decided to take it off the gun i could only put it on another .308 platform

again any input on scopes that are similar/in the same price range as the ones i listed is helpful

finally...i never knew it but i guess rings are a pretty big deal too when dealing with a high powered scope...i have recently become a fan of anything that attaches to a picatinny rail by way of throw lever...so i was hoping to get throw lever scope rings...or is that a bad choice

again any and all help/opinions/advice/criticisms is greatly appreciated

thanks guys!

I use the ARMS mount (also used by the military) with the #22 medium throw lever rings for my M14 and found it to be a very nice setup.
It always zero's out when I re-attach the scope to the rifle.

As far as the scope, I use a standard Springfield Armory scope with the range finding reticle and the 7.62 bullet drop compensator at 6X.

You can't go wrong with the ARMS mount and they are made right here in MA !

Don't get the SA mount. It does not hold zero.

If you want to try out my IOR 4x24 (with IOR throw lever rings) the next appleseed is August 27th at 6pm or give me a pm and we can meet up at Harvard some other time as I have to work out some elevation stuff.

A lot of things I'd read said 4x magnification was right for a battle rifle but I have this nagging feeling that I should have gotten something a bit higher for punching paper. FOV doesn't matter much when the targets aren't running around. But I might change my mind if I use it for something a little more dynamic.

I'll be back later with more.

Last edited:
To echo crak - do not get the SA mount. I have read many threads by people who swear by them, but many more who do not, (loss of zero, windage and elevation issuse, etc). I would give Sadlak a look see. made in CT, bombproof and custom fitting guide. I would then look at Smith and finally ARMS. I base this on not experience, but in thread recollection, (issues, raves, rants).

As for glass, the Super Snipers have been getting good reviews and are available at a good price. A Leupold Vari might be an oprtion as well. For rings, I am a big fan of LaRue. Mark makes some top-notch stuff and he actually answers the phone. I like ARMS but the throwlever I have has a "mass produced feel" to it. The LaRue feels more robust and well-made.....

Congrats on the rifle! Where's the pics???

I have a Super Sniper on my 700, its a nice scope for the price. Glass is clear and bright, it passes the box test without problems. I would recommend one. I run Burris xtreme rings on an EGW base, haven't had an problems with zero. Can't say the same for Warne rings I have used

ok...so the super sniper 10x42 30mm scope ~ $300
larue tactical 30mm 2 piece qd lt-123 throw lever rings ~ $200
and im not sure now on either the sadlak or smith mount...after going to the sadlak site it doesnt look like putting the mount on the gun is gonna be an easy process!

Don't skimp on the scope. It's one thing that you can buy once and never need to upgrade or replace. Get a nice Leopould Mark 4.

the scope will be upgraded in 2008...its just temporary and what funds allow right now

If that's the case, save your money and skip the scope for now. The M14 has excellent issue sights. A scope doesn't make a rifle more accurate.

If you must skimp on the scope, either get a $40 POS to get by or wait until you have enough money for the entire setup.

Or get the Super Sniper, use it for a year, you might find you don't need to upgrade. As long as the scope holds zero and tracks correctly, then the only thing an expensive scope will by you is better glass, and unless you are shooting in low light or extreme distances, you won't notice. If you do, then the extra price is worth it

But if you do what to upgrade, you can sell the super sniper for less of a loss than the cost of a POS scope

The Super Sniper keeps its value very well as long as you don't knock it around too much.

But I second the iron sight recommendation.

You probably already know this, but a nice rig like that deserves reloaded ammo to reach it's full potential.

the whole idea was get the super sniper and put it on the m1 now...then when i upgrade scopes i was gonna put the super sniper on my match hbar ar

You will be fine with the Super Sniper. All indicators I've read are quite positive on the scope. If I had a pile of dough, I'd love a Leupold, but also wonder if the outsourcing rumors and quality drop off rumblings with Leupold I'm hearing are true?

Because that rifle has outstanding metallic sights and does not need a scope to hit a man at over 500 yards.

Contrary to popular belief, a adding a scope to a rifle does not make one a better shooter nor does it make the rifle more accurate. It just makes it easier to see smaller targets.

That's not the question I'm asking. I'm asking, if he wants to put a scope on it for whatever reason, why not let him?

Even if to make it look like a super fearsome evil high powered sniper rifle. Or perhaps he's planning to go past 500 yards or maybe shoot bullseye at longer ranges. Not everyone buys battle rifles planning to go into battle.

I fully agree with you that the M1A (and all M1 variants) are outstanding with irons, but that doesn't mean that you can't get some benefits from using a scope.

Or perhaps he's planning to go past 500 yards or maybe shoot bullseye at longer ranges. Not everyone buys battle rifles planning to go into battle.

The overwhelming majority of bullseye rifle shooting all the way to 1000 yards in this country HAS to be done with irons.

He can do whatever he wants. His rifle and his money. However, it has been my experience that most people who own rifles simply cannot concieve of using iron sights are what seems like incredible distances like from 600 to 1000 yards, and would not tihink of it unless told about it by someone who knows better.

It is quite doable with some coaching and dedication.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with a Leupold

I'm not sure where you got your info about Leupold going downhill, but that's the first I've heard of it. I have a Mark 4 6.5-20X50 LR/T w.TMR reticle on my M1A M21, and I couldn't be happier with it. It's an awesome scope. I didn't have much experience with optics when I was in Iraq (I just shot iron sights then), but when I was in Afghanistan working for SF, the predominant scope on their sniper systems was a Leupold. On their M14 they had a Mark 4 3.5-10X40 LR/T w. mildot reticle. I think on the M24 they used a Mark 4 10X40, and on the Barrett they used a Mark 4 4.5-14X50 LR/T. Different teams may use different stuff. I even saw a Horus Vision on one Barrett.

Anyway, if you can afford a Leupold, go for that, but if money is an issue, the Super Sniper scope is a really high quality scope for the money.

I use a SA gen. 3 mount, and Leupold Mark 4 rings. Never lost a zero. It's a pretty stout setup.
Good Luck, whatever your choice is.

Irons

While I am an optics user (I like to bring the target in a bit closer), I will say the the M1A iron sights are superb. I actually have shot better groups at 100yds with irons than with optics. Past that, I prefer the aid of a scope for trying to hit the 10-ring in target shooting. Now, if I was just trying to hit a torso-sized object past 200, irons would more than suffice.

I also ask, why would you want to scope a rifle like this?

jose...i agree it is definitely a rifle that doesnt need a scope...however aside from my 30-06 hunting rifle i really dont have a dedicated "long distance" rifle

i was thinking of MAYBE taking it out on a hunting trip this year and i prefer to have glass on anything i take in the field with me...just a personal preference to ensure of a clean kill

also after having used iron sights and cqb sights for awhile on my AR's i want something that i can see a bit further with...but thats why im lookin for a scope mount that still has the ability to use the irons

jose...i agree it is definitely a rifle that doesnt need a scope...however aside from my 30-06 hunting rifle i really dont have a dedicated "long distance" rifle

i was thinking of MAYBE taking it out on a hunting trip this year and i prefer to have glass on anything i take in the field with me...just a personal preference to ensure of a clean kill

also after having used iron sights and cqb sights for awhile on my AR's i want something that i can see a bit further with...but thats why im lookin for a scope mount that still has the ability to use the irons

Roger that. I then second the motion for a Leupold Mark 4. It is indeed the US Army's scope of choice for its sniper (M24) and designated marksman (M21, M16SDM) rifles.

The Marine Corps recently switched from Unertl to Schmidt & Bender, but I fail to see anything S&B does that Leupold cannot do and Leupolds cost a crapload less.

My Leupold Mk IV (mounted on a Remington 700 PSS) has been excellent and I must recommend it for anyone looking for a very good precision optic.

And I got mine for free! Which was enough to make me overlook the fact that it is not variable.

Back
Top Bottom