Got the ok to buy a new CCW.....now what?

There is no wrong answer here and ultimately, it doesn't matter. You are eventually going to switch to something else anyway so go for what feels best in your hand right now.

OP: Buy one now, the other, later.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you on that one. If funds were readily available, my husband can buy whatever he wants. I'm his wife, not his mother. He doesn't have to ask my permission to buy things, nor do I keep his liberty card on file. I've bought him many firearms since we started dating (including 2 .500 S&W, one 4 inch for carry and one 8 3/4 inch cause he wanted it). Maybe some men have to ask permission to spend their own money, but not Big Daddy .45ACP. Just be careful with generalizations.[wink]

What MiniGlock said. [smile]

Real women want real men. Men don't need permission to buy stuff. [wink]

1911PD is as nice to look at and fire... The glock is lite but doesn't have a good look to it in my mind... I have a few Glock compacts but think I am going with the 4.25" PD next for sure!

The other option is to wait for the ES to make the list. It's a PD with a shorter grip. The S&W CS guy told me it should only be another 30-60 days or so. I guess we'll see.

I owned a 1911PD...maybe 2 of them. Great shooting guns and nice and light compared to a normal steel frame.

I also had a Glock 30 as well. Great shooting gun but it's fat (wide) for what it is. On my body it doesn't fit well because of this.

While I absolutely love my 1911's I had to think practical and function when it came to every day carry. All metal frames were not necessary for me. Every 1911 I've owned has had some issue to work out before it functioned reliably. They've always worked out but none of my Glocks have ever had any issues whether it be brand new out of the box or 4-5k rounds later without any cleaning.

I'm not trying to start a flame war but I personally would not carry a 1911 for only one reason and it is a personal one. When I grip a 1911 to shoot my thumb always sits on top of the thumb safety to depress it. It is a trained reaction for me to disengage the thumb safety every time I draw and I thus would be left with a single action trigger when presenting the pistol to a target. I prefer no safeties to disengage or engage in a carry gun. Again just personal preference but it's not something I would want.

I also steered away from the 45 because it's a large round, heavy and very slow. Carrying 10 rounds of 45 all day long does wear on you.

I eventually ended up with the Glock 26 because I believe that with modern bullets the 9mm is very on par with the 45...and you can make quick follow up shots with less recoil. The gun is thinner, lighter and the same goes for spare mags.

What I've gone through with CCW in chronological order:
Glock 30
1911PD
Glock 36
Glock 19
Glock 26

I keep my 1911's as my pretty guns and my Glocks as my carry guns.

Last edited:
That is nice, but your limited to one manufacturer. It would have been helpful when I first got my LTC if I could have gone to a range and tried several different types (plus I'm not a big fan of S&W)

I've been CCW'ing a full-size Sig P226RM 9mm with a Sig OWB paddle holster for around a month now and while it's a 'lot of gun' to carry I'm getting used to it and will be glad that I have it with me if and when the need arises.

If you are going to carry a 1911 style gun you need to practice, practice, practice. Much more so than with a Glock.

In a defensive situation, you would simply draw the glock and squeeze the trigger until you were done, then re-holster.

A 1911 in contrast requires you to INSTINCTIVELY sweep the safety off, fire, and then INSTINCTIVELY sweep the safety back on before re-holstering.

Its not difficult to overcome, but it requires much more commitment to practice and drill than the Glock does.

Going out to the range and shooting targets at a leisurely clip is NOT adequate training. You are under not pressure, you have the luxury of THINKING about what you are doing.

Shooting a half dozen IDPA style matches with the 1911 is a good start. Being under pressure/on the clock is a great introduction to shooting under stress.

I love my Les Baer 1911, but for me its a range gun. Why? Well, I've been shooting a Glock in IDPA since 1998. Its manual of arms is ingrained into my brain. I'm not shooting as much these days and would really need to put in a concerted effort to make shooting the 1911 instinctive.

So, instead, I carry a 340 pd revolver, Ruger LCP, or Kahr PM9. All of which operate fundamentally the same as the Glock I am so familiar with .

I hope this is of some value to you.

Don
p.s. please note the part where I mention instinctively sweeping the safety ON after use. Everybody remembers to work on sweeping it off, only to holster a cocked and unlocked gun.

Back
Top Bottom