Got hit with a ricochet today in two spots... OUCH!!! **Pics Added

Well I was shooting a plate rack tonight and wham I got hit in the face and under my armpit. I've been hit a million times in the past but never like this. I actually thought someone came up behind me and hit me. I have a decent sized cut on my cheekbone and it is a little black and blue and a good sized gash under my armpit. The armpit wasn't bleeding bad at first but on the way home from the range it started getting worse. I was looking at my shirt for any shrapnal and found a good sized piece. I weighed it and it came in at 15.3 grains. I'm just lucky my shirt stopped it from penetraing my skin. Anyways enough being a wuss!!!! LOL

It just reinforces the use of safety glasses whenever shooting. Esp. when shooting steel.

Pete

Last edited:
The one under my armpit was the worse one. I'm suprised how deep it is. Oh well it's all part of the game.

I was standing about 30 feet away which is usually more than enough distance. I was shooting .40 S&W reloads with a 168 power factor (180 grain JHP at about 935 FPS) which is the same load I've been shooting for a few years.

Here are a few pictures of my incident. You can see by the bruising under my armpit that I got hit HARD and not just a tiny little piece.

My face isn't that bad a little bruising and a small cut. No big deal:
cut001a.jpg

My armpit is where I got it the worst. It is still bleeding a bit today and is pretty sore. YOu can tell by all the bruising that it was a hard solid hit:
cut002a.jpg

cut003a.jpg

Pete

Last edited:
OUCH! Glad to hear you're okay, Pete.

I took a ricochet from a 7.62X39mm out of an AK last summer. Hit me in the upper right leg, about 2" from "the boys". Scared the piss out of me (NOT literally). That was at 30 yards. Just that one tiny piece hurt like hell; I don't even want to think about how painful it would have been had it been the whole bullet!

Wow! That looks like you got it good. I posted about a ricochet on my nose at a 50 foot range and I was surprised I got it on my nose... but that was nothing compared to this. Glad you're ok.

The funny part is when I was Kart racing I broke my ribs last summer and kept racing. I promised my wife if I ever got injured I would quit. I did get out of racing and back into shooting and made the same promise to my wife. When I got home last night she was saying "that's it you're done with shooting" I replied "yeah until tomorrow." I'm sure I'll be a little nervous shooting that plate rack again. Funny thing is a few weeks ago I got hit a couple of time off the plate rack and received a small cut and it tore my shirt. I never imagined getting hit the way I did though.

Could be worse though... I heard years ago somewhere in California people were shooting bowling pins and the guy shooting was shooting a 9mm and the bullet hit the pin, hitting a bullet stuck in the pin and coming back and hitting him in the privates. He had to have one of his boys removed. Not sure if this is true as I heard that was the reason they don't allow 9mm in bowling pins but I'm sure it is possible.

Pete

Damn
thats a pretty good bruise! I hope if heals fast. Ditto on what pilgrim says, its paper shoot and see targets for me.

Wow..... I know what that feels like.

I got hit in the wrist area by a 230 gr FMJ, intact. The target was
a piece of ballistic glass. At first it felt like a bee stung me in the
hand, and I fired a few more shots... then the pain increased a bit... and I
was like WTF?!?!? I looked on my wrist and saw a little bit of blood. I
cleared my gun, and pulled my sleeve up and out fell the bullet, it was
an FMJ that decided to turn itself into a mushroomed JHP, basically, was
the strangest bullet I'd ever seen.

A word to the wise- flat, hard steel is relatively tame in comparison to ballistic lexan, in terms of a ricochet
hazard! At least a plate of steel encourages "energy dump" and splattering or complete self-destruction of the
bullet. I think the lexan or whatever it was in this case, actually stored up some of the energy imparted to
it by the bullet, and transferred it -back- to the bullet, all in an instant. All .45 ACP ball did to this stuff
was put a pockmark in it. Interestingly enough, .40 S+W JHPS would get stuck right in the glass, and
expand... im guessing due to higher velocity. Rifle rounds ripped right through it, of course. If I ever
get any of this stuff again, I definitely will be shooting at it from further away, or behind a barrier. It's a
damned good thing bullets lose most of their energy quickly when they hit something hard. I've seen
someone else shooting at this stuff with a .45, and a bullet visibly flew back at an angle, and bounced
off a guy's pants belt. (he said he felt something hit him, but said it didn't hurt... but im
sure the leather belt absorbed the sting). Needless to say, we didnt fire that many shots at the
stuff with typical weak handguns, as none of us felt that lucky!

The injury itself in my case wasnt that bad. There wasnt much bleeding, it
was mostly a bruise. I kept on shooting for awhile and then went home...
was sore for next day or so, but then the bruise healed in about a week
or so. Not a huge deal, but definitely a wake up call to use more
caution.

-Mike

Last edited:
second said:
Damn
thats a pretty good bruise! I hope if heals fast. Ditto on what pilgrim says, its paper shoot and see targets for me.

One thing to keep in mind with steel... ricochets like this are a pretty rare
event. I've been to a crapload of plate shoots, and the most anyones ever been hit by is little specks of lead here and there. If you want to shoot steel a bit "safer" than normal, you can simply use all lead bullets, as they tend to be softer and don't discard jacketing back at the shooter.

Sometimes the condition of the rack comes into play. If the rack has odd
angles on it, or the plates are heavily pocked-out, the incidents of splashback
are a bit higher.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom