• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Got close to my first porqupine... no one got hurt

I went out scouting the other day and as I was walking through this field my father and I noticed what we thought was a wood chuck or whatever about 50 yards away walking through but noticed the white back on it and we both werent too sure what it was so I figured Id try to get closer to take a look, figuring it would run off before I could get a good look but it let me get closer and closer until I was about 5 feet away from it. The thing didnt even care I was there. It was happy enough just eating away. It was a good couple minutes of me taking pics before I yelled out to my father who had stayed behind "it doesnt even care that Im here!" and thats when it got pissed. Raised up his quils and as I started moving towards the front of it, the porqupine got up on his hinds legs to let me know how big and strong he was. I was suprised to see the shape of its head since I thought they were more pointy, like a woodchuck. Anywho, I walked away and let it be, he just went back to eating.
Figured Id share. Ive never seen a live one in the wild. Ive seen a dead one on rt2 before and on tv but it was really look to get a closer look!
porqupine1.jpg

You know, I had my bow with me but I wasnt going to kill something that I wasnt going to eat or use. Now the blanket idea is a good one! Wish I had known that before

Back
Top Bottom