Good takedown rifle for camping?

10/22 takedown. Do it once and do it right. Nothing wrong with the other choices but really think you get the best with the Ruger.

If you want a gun thats easy to carry, the Henry, or a Marlin Papoose wins.

If you want to actually shoot it then the 10/22 takedown wins.

Others have mentioned an AR. Last year I built a very fun, very accurate AR. As shown in this picture, it weighed 5.2 lbs without optics.
At one point I got it down to 4.9 lbs with an upper without a forward assist, a semi-auto bolt carrier and a lightened buffer. This all works because the gun has an adjustable gas system. With a 1 inch Leupold MkAR or a 1inch Nikon Monarch in a lightweight AeroPrecision one piece mount, the optics weighed exactly a pound.

So in summary, you could have a 4.9# AR with a set of MBUS sights or a 5.9# AR with a 1-4 optic on it.
And if you carried a spare .22 mag and conversion bolt, it could shoot .22 also.

I know its ugly. But this was a functional exercise. My next project is going to be a reasonably priced light AR built on a milspec lower.

Don

As shown, this gun weighs 5.1 lbs bare and 6.3 lbs with the optic. Oh, and thats a Lothar Walther barrel on there. Its very accurate until that skinny barrel starts to heat up.

The KelTec Sub 2000. I throw it in my bag when camping or hiking. Takes .40sw Glock 22 mags. It also comes in various other calibers. I love it.
image.jpg

The Ruger 10/22 take down,AR7, Kel Tec sub 2000 9mm and the Chiappa 22 mag. badger.Get them all like I did then you will not have the problem on which one to choose.

One key question is whether you will be hiking with it or just camping.

If weight is important, you really have 2 choices.

1) AR7 - light, self contained without a case since the barrel stores in the stock, floats. Not the best shooter.
2) Marlin Papoose - lighter than anything other than the AR7. Corrosion resistant stainless steel. A great shooter

A few years ago, I flew a small single engine plane from Seattle to CT and needed to put together a kit. I went with the Papoose because it was fun enough to shoot that I'd still use it after the flight. I had a threaded muzzle added to it so it takes .22 silencers.

If weight isn't an issue and you are interested in rimfire, I'd go with the Ruger simply because of all the options available for it in the aftermarket.

Don

p.s. Ha I just saw my post above from last year. Its at least good to see that I'm consistent. One other thing. If you want a real rifle caliber gun, I've added one more to my list of options. I recently built a 8" barreled .300 blackout that was 4.6 lbs before optic.

Last edited:
Have you considered the little badger in 17hmr or 22 mag? If you dont plan to shoot it often ammo cost is not a concern amd those carteridges offer better range as well as power

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom