Good source for Mosin Nagant's

While he was filling out the paperwork and calling in my purchase i flipped through a book for the mosin and it mention in it when storing for long periods of time to use a thin coat of an 80W gear oil.
This is my first rifle so im not to fimiliar with cleaning and oiling of rifles, i never oiled the M16 in the army just cleaned the barrel and bolt parts and the turned it in and the weapons sargent did the lube if any. so cleaning this rifle is pretty new to me.

If you're going to store the Mosin for a few year, then yeah, use some sort of preservative oil. If you're going to shoot it, no need. Remember, this was a rifle used by the uneducated peasants of Communist Russia.

Ken's link for surplusrifle.com nails everything you could ever wanted to know about a Mosin Nagant.
You don't need ammonia or anything else fancy. The ammonia just helps break down copper deposits, it does nothing for salt, hence people using window cleaner.
I use very hot water and pour it into the bore from the chamber using a funnel with some tubing and let it run out the muzzle into a bucket. That takes care of most of the corrosive salts instantly and using hot water allows the bore to heat up and dry quicker. Then I pass a few dry patches with a cleaning rod and slotted patch holder to dry the bore completely, and proceed to clean with MPro 7 (its a quality water based cleaner) and finish with Break Free or Kroil. Thats it.
As for oiling the rifle. When you first take it apart for cleaning, after you've gotten the comsolene off just wipe down the entire gun barrel, receiver, etc. with a generous coat of Break Free Collector, or even regular Break Free. BFC will last a loooong time but standard Break Free wears down after a while.
Thats about it for cleaning and oiling. Theres nothing you can do to that rifle that some Russian fighting for his life on the front hasn't already.[wink]

hey guys im looking for a little help. Can anyone tell me what these tools are for. I know the big one in the middle is the Firing Pin tool, Can you guys tell me what the others are for? MosinTools.jpg

hey guys im looking for a little help. Can anyone tell me what these tools are for. I know the big one in the middle is the Firing Pin tool, Can you guys tell me what the others are for?

They were issued to soldiers for cleaning. Muzzle protector, jag, handle, etc.
Anything you ever wanted to know is posted here:
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAcc.htm

Back
Top Bottom